does someone know what's happening to him?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marisa2 View Post
...suddenly he had sharp stomach pains in the middle of the night and had to go to the hospital.

The previous weeks, he had been experiencing gastrointestinal issues, unexplained weight loss and then weight gain/swelling in the abdomen.

At hospital, he was told that he had high ammonia levels, a compromised liver, and a swollen appendix. He stayed in the hospital on meds, soft/liquid foods and IV for a week.

Now, he has family taking care of him, eating soft foods or blended veggies. He's on a diuretic, something to reduce the ammonia, a med that makes you sick if you drink, and some kind of med for withdrawal...don't know the names of these meds.

He said that he was told that if he stops drinking from this point on, that his liver with rejuvenate. Is that true? Does it sound like he can make a full recovery? I know he is trying and I know it's hard.

Can anyone help me understand better what is happening. I need to understand. The not knowing is making me so depressed and feel so helpless.

Also, what is the best thing I can do to support/help him right now and what is the next step he should take, to insure that he stays on course? Does it sound like if he stops, that he still has hope of a healthy life again?.
Well, I don't know if I can add much that is helpful, but will try. I feel I am one of the fortunate ones ...I stopped drinking before it impacted my overall health...

I totally understand it is very hard to simply NOT KNOW what is really going on with a loved one you care about...especially when there are OBVIOUS concerns. I have had friends and family members I've worried sick about because they engage in risky behavior(s). Some of them are so stubborn and proud, that I've learned the hard way if I say much they tend to go off in the opposite direction and just do more of what they shouldn't do. So, what's the answer?

I don't know how many answers you've been able to get from the Dr., but he/she is probably best able to explain abnormal lab test results, etc.

The abdominal swelling/bloating could be cirrhosis of the liver. I have no idea if the liver can regenerate or not...that would something good to find out for sure...

What you CAN do regardless of the outcomes is continue to be caring, present, supportive and kind. It will mean a world of difference to him to have someone who really cares...people who are sick PLUS trying to detox and get sober have a lot on their plate and he might start to feel overwhelmed and lose hope.

Hope all goes alright, hang in there..

blessed be...
Old 11-05-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Teas To Try

Ardy, thanks for the tea idea. What kind are you using?
There are some good teas in the health stores and/or health good sections: "Relaxing Tea", "Kava Stress Relief", "Tension Tamer", if you feel so inclined...
Old 11-05-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
I, too, hate the stigma attached to alcoholism. I know a lot more "professional" addicts than I know addicts who live under bridges and don't bathe. But it's important to remember that ALL alcoholics are responsible for themselves. The kind, sweet, and classy ones are not exempt from consequences. They have to want to recover before anything anyone else does or says can make a difference.
Well said. Addiction does not play favorites!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. To answer atalose's question, I went to this councilor because his specialty is alcoholism and I need to understand and deal with my stress due to my worries over this, plus I have other stresses too that I'm trying to manage.

So, is it possible for him to re cover by following these doc instructions and stopping the drink, based on his current condition and his age of 48? Have any of you seen or experienced full rejuvenation and recovery after this? Thanks.
I don't know if he has any other health issues or chronic diseases. I don't know what kind of shape he is in or how fit he is. Off the top of my head I would say he has the element of being fairly young still. (younger than me at least!! haha)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:16 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

marisa. as I told you before, Yes, I have seen it.
did you do a google search to read up on the medical education for this condition? The ones written for the layman.....

dandylion
Old 11-06-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Ok marisa , I will tell you yes, he may recover completely physically...or not (I recently got out of the hospital with alcohol hepatic liver and doing fine now). The question is will you? Your attachment to his condition is the real issue here and it is already affecting your whole being and yes, it can kill you too (stress). These folks know of your dilemma all too well and can help you. Listen and keep posting. You are worth saving regardless of where his choices (past/present) take him. Tough choices I know--My wife won't stop and is showing bad physical signs (not to mention severe mental degradation) but I ain't going with her. Take care.