Do I go or continue to let go?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

And you've not called 911 why?

Someone threatens to harm themselves, we do what???? We call what # again?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
This is where I would double down on making sure no one can contact me or find me to report on his crazy. Every time his friend reports back to him that he's talked to you it increases the guy's anger and desperation.

He could very easily do serious harm to you. He's going to jail, he's a delusional addict and he wants to see you.

He feels like he has nothing to lose.

Do not engage. Especially now.
I understand that I should not engage, I am not engaging with him but I understand I have to not engage with anyone involved in his life. I am not afraid of him coming after me. We're 1500 miles apart, he's a drunk, sick mess and doesn't have the money nor transportation to get to me, even if he wanted to try, he wouldn't get far. Regardless I understand it's not healthy to be in any sort of contact with any of them. That feels so difficult though, I still somehow feel like I'm being a bitch, ugh.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
And you've not called 911 why?

Someone threatens to harm themselves, we do what???? We call what # again?
I'm sorry atalose, this whole thing is new to me and yet he has threatened this many times before and tells me later that he does it to get to me and doesn't believe in suicide so it's like "boy who cried wolf", I'm not sure what to believe. He is currently living with his parents, should I let them know??? I feel like I'm getting conflicting responses, some people say stay out of it, others say get involved! I'm not sure what to do?!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Why does "pleasing" him, his parents and his best friend mean so much to you?

You say, it feels difficult because you don't want to come across as a bitch. So why is what they think of you that important where you are placing your emotional well being into their hands?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Why does "pleasing" him, his parents and his best friend mean so much to you?

You say, it feels difficult because you don't want to come across as a bitch. So why is what they think of you that important where you are placing your emotional well being into their hands?
I don't know....I am trying to figure that out atalose.....I have therapy next week. It's a start. I'm pretty certain I learned it from my mother who was a people pleaser and put her happiness and needs behind everyone else, she believed she could fix everyone and that everyone no matter what needed nurturing.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

The healthiest decision would be to cut off all contact and move on. If somehow he manages to contact you another way and threatens suicide then call the local the police in his home town and advise them of the threat.

If he’s told you he only says it to get to you – believe him!!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

It might be time to call his bluff on the suicide threats by contacting 911 and reporting it. Either he is serious and people who are qualified to help him will help him, or he is trying to manipulate you and will soon feel the consequences of that choice. Either way, you will have done what you could without sacrificing your morals, or your peace.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

she believed she could fix everyone and that everyone no matter what needed nurturing.
And how has that worked out for your mom? Everybody all fixed and doing great? Doesn't sound like you are.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JKSGRL View Post
I'm sorry atalose, this whole thing is new to me and yet he has threatened this many times before and tells me later that he does it to get to me and doesn't believe in suicide so it's like "boy who cried wolf", I'm not sure what to believe. He is currently living with his parents, should I let them know??? I feel like I'm getting conflicting responses, some people say stay out of it, others say get involved! I'm not sure what to do?!
Well, I have called 911 when a BF threatened suicide. I wasn't sure if he meant it or not and I didn't want to take the chance. The added benefit afterward is that he never said that to me again.

What you will hear recommended here is to always call. Then if he is serious he will get the help he needs. If he isn't serious, at least he'll know you are. If nothing happens except he gets to spend time with some paramedics or police, at least he'll be on their radar - and you will have done the right thing.

Honestly, if he's 1500 miles away I would block him and the horse he rode in on - i.e. everyone who might call you. What you don't know won't hurt you. But then, I'm the girl who breaks up with someone and never talks to them again. Simples.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

And how has that worked out for your mom? Everybody all fixed and doing great? Doesn't sound like you are.
No you're right, she's a miserable SOB, ha and I do know it has not helped me any, I get that, I have finally accepted this....that's why I come here and why I am going to therapy. Now that I am aware of MY problems, I do want to fix them, change them.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Honestly, if he's 1500 miles away I would block him and the horse he rode in on - i.e. everyone who might call you. What you don't know won't hurt you. But then, I'm the girl who breaks up with someone and never talks to them again. Simples.
See and that's never been my case, I WISH I could be like that. Every relationship I had in the past I felt I had to continue being there for the ex and I was more worried about how they felt and would always feel it was my duty to be always available for help even when the relationship ended. Obviously it never did me any good and of course none of them ever did the same, ha.

Yes I am seeing my cycles and I understand I need to work from the inside out. I'm happy to realize it now and not 30 more years down the road. I am ready for the hard work, I am ready to let go as hard as that seems to be for me, I have never been one to just detach. I hold on for dear life! This whole thing has stressed me out to the point of finally being ready to let go. I do not like putting all this weight on my shoulders!

I texted his parents my concern since they are living there with him, I guess that's all I can do right now.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Reading some other threads concerning this I am starting to worry that I should have taken it more seriously. He texted this at 7:30 am this morning when he knew I would be up and getting ready for work. I texted his best friend right away to check on him and I texted his parents an hour ago with no response. Do I call the cops as well or let it go and block them and move on from this point on? I want to do that regardless but now I am wondering if I should take more action or wait to hear back from someone that he is ok. I DO NOT want to text or call him myself, I feel as if I would just get sucked right back into it.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Personally, I think you've done more than enough.

If you would feel better, call his local police. It's not really 911 at this point. You'll hear if anything happened - after reading about his past "threats" I'd bet he's fine.

Block everyone I wouldn't even wait to hear anything, it's just keeping you in drama-mode.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I think it's obvious I need a break from all of this regardless, I am going to follow my gut and distance myself from his family as well. My instinct says it's just likely his narcissism and not a valid threat. If it is, well, I think I did what I could being so far away.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Yes, you have done MORE than enough. Please block them. For your own sanity. And I wish you so much healing with your therapist to learn about your co-dependency issues most likely you learned from your Mom. Thank GOD you are self-aware and don't find yourself in this predicament in your 60's!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

His parents and his best friend have ignored your text message..........what does that tell you?

Take their lead.......block them all from contacting you. You will survive this, you will move on and one day look back and think to yourself - never ever again will I give so much of my emotions and energy away to people who don't deserve it and cannot give back equally.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Personally, I think you've done more than enough.

If you would feel better, call his local police. It's not really 911 at this point. You'll hear if anything happened - after reading about his past "threats" I'd bet he's fine.

Block everyone I wouldn't even wait to hear anything, it's just keeping you in drama-mode.
You're so right biminblue and of course just heard from his parents and he just tried calling me at work, so yeah just another way to get my attention. Ok so now knowing this for certain, I'll keep on moving forward. I leave for the beach tomorrow, I will embrace some drama free time and cut off all forms of communication with everyone involved. I said that in the nicest way I could to all of them, oh and I did take some of your advice and I did tell him if he threatens suicide again, I will call the cops! So now it's time to go NO CONTACT.

I'm ready, thanks to all of you, you really helped me, more than you even know.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Just an update, my time at the beach was wonderful and drama free however, yesterday I received an email from his mom. They took A to his court appearance yesterday, he plead “not guilty” to the DUI charges, etc but A showed up drunk at the hearing and was slapped with public drunkenness and taken directly to jail. I am relieved because it keeps me moving on (and if that sounds selfish, so be it) but of course his mom is a wreck and seeks my support, which I want to give but at the same time I really want to be rid of the whole thing. I am hoping she calms down and begins to pull away again. I know she throws out things so that I worry and commiserate with her, ugh.

She is terrified that he will die in jail from withdrawals, is this a legitimate worry? I would assume jails have this issue quite a bit and know how to handle it. Of course I still love him and worry about him BUT I still feel very strongly that I need to separate myself from the situation once and for all. I’m just guessing I need some reassurance that his situation will be handled and I can feel ok about not communicating with A’s mom.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time at the beach, you deserve it.

Yes, Jails have medical wards where he will be monitored and taken care of, they can also transport him to a hospital if that need arises. He is where he needs to be right now.

I think it is good you realize you need to separate yourself from this situation and all the people involved. I understand you don’t want to hurt his mom any more then she already is but YOU and your feelings count just as much.

Many of us grew up learning that our feelings didn’t matter as much as other peoples. That sticking up for ourselves and doing the healthy thing was considered “selfish”.

When we know better – we do better. We don’t have to remain in those un-healthy approaches to life we have opportunities to make healthier choices, practice those choices and life a more serene life.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time at the beach, you deserve it.

Yes, Jails have medical wards where he will be monitored and taken care of, they can also transport him to a hospital if that need arises. He is where he needs to be right now.

I think it is good you realize you need to separate yourself from this situation and all the people involved. I understand you don’t want to hurt his mom any more then she already is but YOU and your feelings count just as much.

Many of us grew up learning that our feelings didn’t matter as much as other peoples. That sticking up for ourselves and doing the healthy thing was considered “selfish”.

When we know better – we do better. We don’t have to remain in those un-healthy approaches to life we have opportunities to make healthier choices, practice those choices and life a more serene life.
THANK YOU SO MUCH atalose! I needed to hear that. And yes you're so right, I was certainly raised to put other's feelings above my own. I was constantly told that it was just the right thing to do, I honestly believed this for such a long time and now even though I know better, I still get this nagging feeling that taking care of me first is a bad thing!

She just contacted me again to tell me he was released this morning and now they are in the ER. I'm trying to figure out why they would release him?! Every time I think he is going to be locked up for a while, nope.....of course I don't wish him ill will but seems a little ridiculous.