OT- had to put my dog to sleep

Old 10-11-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wanttobe - here, please have a big bear hug and some love from me. I've been through this so many times & it just rips our heart out. We can't possibly give our love to our pets and not go through this - but the sadness is terrible. It will ease up, and you have us to lean on in the meantime. Prayers for you to be comforted as you go through this.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

So sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is just plane horrible. Time dulls the pain but you will always miss them. I try to rejoice in the time that was given and remember the joy they brought.

My profile picture is my beloved Cuervo AKA the devil dog who has been gone for 3 years but she is not forgotten
Old 10-11-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you....Been there, and dread the next time......it hurts so terribly. Yes, it does....

Hugs and comfort.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Old 10-11-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is a hard loss. I've been through it and it's devastating! I've had to put down my Rottweiler, Zachary and my Lab Mix Casey and losing them was like losing one of my children. They are our babies! We feed and provide for them just like our children and when they go, the tear your heart out and take chunks of it with them.

Dogs are not our whole lives; But they make our lives whole.

Roger Caras~

I have 2 Boxers and a Rottweiler with RAH and they are loved so much! I know I'll be giving them extra hugs and kisses tomorrow morning in your baby's memory.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If dogs don't go to heaven I want yo go where they go
Old 10-12-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That sucks, I'm sorry wanttobehealthy. Nearly every morning I look at my dog snoring next to me in bed where XAH used to sleep and feel thankful for her. When my previous dog died, it hurt so much I thought I would never be able to open my heart to another pet.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sending you big hugs!!! My kids are in their 20's and so my pets are now my children. My heart breaks for you!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
If dogs don't go to heaven I want yo go where they go
Dogs ARE heaven, MIRecovery...
Old 10-13-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Awe...I am so very sorry. Many hugs!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, lady.

Be extra kind to yourself. Losing a pet is so hard, I really feel for you today.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Anyone know how to post an image? I was trying to share a photo of my pup and cant figure out how
Old 10-13-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

((((WTBH)))) I am SO SORRY for your loss. My dogs are EVERYTHING to me. I, too, have suffered that loss many times and it never gets "easier". Please know your best buddy is running free across Rainbow Bridge and you will meet again! Also know that you gave your buddy dog the best and most loved life possible and he/she was very happy. God bless. I can't wait to see your buddy dog... I hope you can post the pic.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Dear Wanttobe-

Thank you so much for making this post.

I lost my LifeRecovery dog, Sassy on 9/17 after a short, unexpected illness. She was the reason for my tag name here.

She was nine and had all sorts of challenges in life. She was fear aggressive, she had some orthopedic challenges, etc. Early on she would particularly act out around me. Her illness had nothing to do with those things as they had all been worked out with a lot of dilegence, patience and her willingness to do the work involved in her own wellbeing.

With the help of a great trainer and some significant work on myself I discovered many things.

She was being my anger for me when she was young. She was acting out mostly when I was "pretending" it was all okay in the world but was seething inside. Her behavior "forced" me to start paying attention to my feelings. If I was being true to myself (regardless of what I was feeling) she was okay....it was when I was covering them up that I got into trouble.

She witnessed some hard situations between my husband and I. I did not realize until after he had left that she struggled around people that were intoxicated (and why). She was so intuned to when someone was "off" and the alcohol would cause them to be off.

Her loss has been hard (I anticipated that), but it has stirred up in me a lot of feelings that I was not able to be in touch with when I was in the survival mode just after my husband left, the divorce etc. In many ways her passing provides me with some freedome that I have not had before, but underneath some of that is some deep and dark anger, frustration etc at my ex, at the fact that I was the one that needed to be responsible for her challenges because he was not in a place that he could. Though really hard for me it has been very catartic.

I also had to decide if I should call him when I realized how sick she was. I did (which I am so glad I did). I then gave him the choice of what to do with it. In many ways I could not do this around his drinking, but I was able to around her.....just the last of many life lessons she has given me.

Thanks for posting and letting me see I am not alone in this. I am sorry for your loss, the hurt and all of the other pieces it is stirring up. I hope it is part of the process of making room for something else for us both.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

WTBH, I am so, so very sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. Wishing you comfort in your happy memories.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Had to remove link bc my name showed in it... No idea how to link a photo
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Trying again...

Photos of my beloved pup when he was a puppy and again around 3 years old... Missing him so much

Old 10-13-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I give up! Cant figure out the posting an image thing
Old 10-13-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
Anyone know how to post an image? I was trying to share a photo of my pup and cant figure out how
I've only ever been able to do it by linking my pic from my online photo album. (so it has a http:// address)

If you have that setup, you just need to copy the link to the pic in your album & then on your SR page click the icon above the message box that looks like mountains/landscape & paste the link from your album into the pop-up box.

I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost one of our cats unexpectedly last year & I still mourn her loss, still hold back the tears when I think of her. (((((HUGS))))
Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
I give up! Cant figure out the posting an image thing
I found this link when I was trying to post some photos of one of my hounds in another part of the forum and saved it in my subscribed threads b/c I KNEW I would never remember it...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...our-posts.html

Does that help?