OT- had to put my dog to sleep

Old 10-13-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am so so sorry for your loss. It truly is like losing member of the family. How tragic for you since it was so unexpected. I have been there a few times unfortunately. We lost one our dogs last year unexpectedly to cancer and our second one is aging quickly. You are right in that you are mourning that entire period of your life.

Hugs to you and the kids. I pray you have strength and courage as you and your kids get through this very sad time. I am thinking of you.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. Pets can be such a special part if our lives. I think it can be harder to lose them than people sometimes.

The best remedy for your pain might be a new baby? You know, there are sooo many sweet babies looking for a new home.

Sending you hugs and lots of love.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Here's my love... 1/2 bassett hound, 1/2 golden... Never saw another pup like him (other than the siblings in his litter) and wish I could find another like him... Best breed ever... Sweet to the point of being too trusting... A little like me frankly.. would bound up to not so nice dogs and want to be pals and didnt grasp that not everyone was like him.... Stubborn as the day was long but just part of his nature to go off on a scent and not hear anyone calling him... Loved him to death...

Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

That prior pic was when he was around 3.... this is him as a puppy -- maybe 8 weeks... it is physically hurting me to look at these pictures... I miss him so much..

Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

What a sweetheart <3
Old 10-13-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I am fairly sure that first one he looks a little "in trouble" bc he may have just peed on my bed.... He was around 3 when I met xAH and my jealous dog took to peeing on the side of the bed xAH (then my boyfriend) would sleep on... I probably should have heeded the message my dog was trying to send about xAH way back then...
Old 10-13-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I have been there more times then I wish to remember. Only fellow dog lovers can know the complete heartache over saying goodbye to your beloved friend.. More then even just the saying goodbye is that you have to make the decision to end their life.. yes its for their sake we do it but that doesn't really help us to much when we're saying our last goodbyes into their trusting eyes....
Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Yeah I feel awful about a whole lot of things regarding him (Sammy is his name) but looking at him at the vet -- looking him in the eyes and having already told the vet (or the vet told me) that he had no choice, I felt immense guilt.

It would have been cruel to take him home and had another night/morning with him-- he was in pain and sedated but still in pain... But I so wanted to take him home and be in denial and just act like it was ok... And he had to have known... his eyes were so sad...

Ugh.. crying all over again now...
Old 10-13-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

WTBH-

But you did not take him home because that would have been for you. You made the best decision for him in that moment (and many other times too).

You did not take him home and be in denial. That is a huge thing, and to me it sounds like growth.

I am so grateful for my tears. In the worst of my behaviors when I was so numb from everything I was not really capable of being attached to another being.....because I was so afraid to feel. I am so grateful that I am no longer that way.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Its okay to be crying, to mourn him is to love him.. but also remember the moments of joy he brought to you.. think about when he would look (or not look you in the eyes because of that stubborn streak. he knew you loved him and he loved you....
Old 10-13-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

He's so precious. I hope your pain will soon ease up.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

OmiGOSH he is the sweetest Baby ever! Being part Golden really warms my heart, too. I've got a boy from the shelter I did a DNA test on and he's a Golden / GSD mix. I love Him SO much. Your precious baby is so sweet... Thanks for shAring his pictures with us.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Pets are part of the family.
So sorry for your loss.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
I am fairly sure that first one he looks a little "in trouble" bc he may have just peed on my bed....
Yep, He totally does. What a sweet, guilty, little face.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I had my fingers crossed that you would figure out how to post them. He was a lucky boy to have you.