No idea what to think. None at all. Guidance needed

Old 04-14-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You never know, the Superintendent may be compiling info to get rid of HER.

I loathe workplace politics. Only once got caught in it, but it was very unpleasant.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ady gil View Post
I work in a very political work environment...and one day a co-worker of mine gave me this advice: "just let it all swirl around you and go about with your day". The advice seemed too simple at the time and I thought it was ridiculous but I follow it now - I just let the trouble swirl around and go about my day and inevitably it dies out and the next "political trauma" ensues. And since I'm never involved they don't touch me. Even when someone involves me without my permission when asked I just go "what?" "oh really someone said that?" "I never heard that I dunno"...then I go on with my day. And eventually it dies out.

I know this one has touched you...but you don't have to let it touch you any further. My two cents: let your supervisor be mad - hey let her be enraged...her issue. Just go in do your job, state your case at the meetings, let her get mad and be nasty (it really only reflects on her and people will see it eventually if they don't already), and in the meantime keep looking for the better job you want.

I agree with Florence in that you got a different safety net so your HP took care of you in a different way.
Yes. This. All of it.

And especially this: "just let it all swirl around you and go about with your day"
Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi WTBH. I think your supervisor may be on a path to her own destruction. Her Superintendent is already aware of the way she's behaving, and the more extreme she gets the better for you. Don't assume you're the only one either, because if she's doing it to you, she'll have done it to others.
I am in a similar position to you (but a lot less extreme) , and I use the mantra that I can't control other people's behaviour, I can only control my reaction to it, as a shield against all the digs and unfairness. And her behaviour is being noticed by others and is not reflecting well on her.
Keep your cool and your nerve, go on acting professionally and don't assume others are on her side.
Looking forward to hearing how you go. I'm cheering for you.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Feeling Great has great advice! I agree with every word.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I too work in a politically charged environment. Ady's right about letting it swirl around you. I like the Kenny Rogers song and think of it often when in situations where the politics are sucking the oxygen out of the room. You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run. Add into that the serenity prayer: the courage to change what I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

To me, its all about mind-set. I am unflappable. I have a great poker face. I also know my own power, and you do not need to engage with your superintendent and your supervisor. That really is an HR issue; one that is very delicately played. I am surprised you are even being asked to meet again.

Don't ever hesitate to use the words "hostile work environment". HR folks get really nervous with that statement.

Find out what your rights are. Instead of fretting (and I understand why you are feeling the way you feel, that is not to be dismissive) go find out what you can do here. Can you file a complaint? Can you request a change in positions? A transfer to another school within the district?

And keep swirling around your supervisor. Like water in a stream full of rocks, swirl around the barriers in your way to keep doing a good job for the ones that really matter - the kids.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

WTBH

That is a lot to deal with in a short time space. You dealt so well with the meeting with the superintendent and it got a result - ok you heard the result very late having already been given bad news - but your proactive and professional approach to the problem has been rewarded. Don't let her make you crazy, then she wins. She is clearly not good at her job and clearly does not have the students best interest in mind through her actions. You are good at what you do and you do have the students best interest at the heart of your actions. Don't let her take up so much space in your head she doesn't deserve it. It is highly unlikely the superintendent will renew you to work under her again now that the situation has been revealed for what it is? I would think you will be moved, would you say? Let her be the one to worry and stew about this and try to not let her take up any more of your thoughts and time, easier said than done I know but you can choose to not obsess about her.

Good luck with it all.