A Whole New Ballgame

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

From Another Post

I saw this Link on another post, read the "Excuses Alcoholics Make", and realized that I've heard most of these time and time again!

]Addiction, Lies and Relationships
Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

aaah,

SECRETS keep us SICK....you have every right to open up and seek help...and so can the rest of the family...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This is called Gaslighting...

"...She didn't listen, turned everything around and said that I need to straighten out my life and fix everything that's wrong with me and not worry about her. "

They do it all the time to keep the focus off of themselves and their drinking. Plus they know we feel guilty and are ruthless in protecting their addiction. It's what she's doing right now-- that way she doesn't have to be accountable for snooping on your private conversations with your priest (irony alert!).

She's out of line, but she's right about one thing-- stop focusing on her and start focusing on yourself. As a Catholic (I think), let God handle her now. You handle yourself-- Alanon is a good place to do that.

Good luck,

Cyranoak

P.s. Counseling does not help unless they are sober. They just lie and deflect accountability. In my opinion it just makes things worse.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
"...She didn't listen, turned everything around and said that I need to straighten out my life and fix everything that's wrong with me and not worry about her. "

P.s. Counseling does not help unless they are sober. They just lie and deflect accountability. In my opinion it just makes things worse.
She only starts drinking after child goes to bed. Or, in the case of the last week, not drinking at all.

I'm not liking the tension and the PO'd attitude she has for me right now, but at least I know what to expect -as opposed to when she's been drinking.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The other is the HBO series on addiction, I'm not sure the exact title.
It's called "Addiction."

I got the box set for dead cheap on Amazon, but many of the most important clips are on the HBO site for the documentary series. This whole series was very important for me to wrap my mind around the brain chemistry involved in addiction, and that this is really not about willpower or loving someone in the right way.

Here is the main link: HBO: Addiction

And the clips are available under the link titled, "The Films." HBO: Addiction: The Films