The Fourth Stage Alcoholic.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Yes, I had this thought last night when I thought back over this thread. I had a lot of anger at myself for a long time for missing the red flags I should have seen waving everywhere. (ESPECIALLY as an ACoA!!!)

And then I was extremely embarrassed (maybe mortified) for a long time too.... there's a roller coaster of emotions that I've been through personally & I'm guessing I'm no where near done. (and I know I'm not alone here)

Alucard - I'm not sure how much time you spent reading these boards before you joined & started posting, but I spent close to 8 months lurking. I read, I cried, I avoided some thoughts only to circle back to them, I saw similarities & differences & I learned so, so, SO much about something I thought I knew a LOT about. I weep openly at times when I hear of the children being affected by this terrible disease. I read a lot of posts from active A's that helped me see an entire dimension that sometimes tapped into my compassion but more often gave me knowledge. I started taking a personal inventory in ways I hadn't thought to do before, from a new perspective. I started to see how different solutions work for different relationships based on circumstances & emotions.

For instance - when alcoholism became apparant in my marriage we had been together for about 15 years & had spent 13 of them blissfully, off-the-charts happy. He was able to seek therapy & will be 1 full yr sober next weekend. We are slowly, but steadily rebuilding our lives & while it is difficult at times I feel stronger than before in some ways. I believe that is significantly different than your experience of being married very briefly to an alcoholic that is much further progressed & with whom you have no long-term recent relationship. Your point of view & attitude toward investing more into your relationship is going to be significantly different than mine based on our experiences to date. And that's OK, you just have to remember that not EVERY member here is dealing with a Stage 4 addict & many have families, children & financial considerations that you don't have to deal with as well. We all share common threads, but the pattern in our fabrics is not always identical.

I wish you well in your various stages of recovery.
This is true, and to counter your point, not everyone feels this blissful love and undying devotion to the alcoholic. I had no patience for it. Or at least 3 weeks worth.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
This is true, and to counter your point, not everyone feels this blissful love and undying devotion to the alcoholic. I had no patience for it. Or at least 3 weeks worth.
You've got it wrong, I felt blissfully happy for years with my HUSBAND. I have no tolerance at all for the ALCOHOLIC or dealing with the active disease. But we can agree to disagree!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I did the best I could, I essentially got a homeless person off the street, and offered it a chance, an honest shot at a life together, with the resources I had. We had a decent shot. BUT I acted wayyyy too fast, and my mistake was in not learning more about it's actual situation. It had changed, in 12 years, from someone I had once been very, very close to, to this strange, ugly, demented facsimile that after 3 weeks I wanted little to do with. The thing it had become was something I had no use for or interest in. I made moves to ensure I wouldnt ever deal with it again.
Just an observation, but you seem like you're hurting that someone who was this deep in disease rejected you. It sounds like you wanted to save her, but you're mad that she didn't want to be saved.

That's okay, not all folks want or need to be saved. I'm of the mind that we should all have the dignity to ruin, build, and rebuild our own lives. If she wanted to self-destruct, that's her bag to carry. If you want to be consumed by bitterness, that's yours.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Just an observation, but you seem like you're hurting that someone who was this deep in disease rejected you. It sounds like you wanted to save her, but you're mad that she didn't want to be saved.

That's okay, not all folks want or need to be saved. I'm of the mind that we should all have the dignity to ruin, build, and rebuild our own lives. If she wanted to self-destruct, that's her bag to carry. If you want to be consumed by bitterness, that's yours.
It didnt reject me. I walked away. I didnt want to save it. I honestly thought it was not a Stage 4 Alcoholic, HAD I KNOWN I wouldnt have bothered even contacting it. I am not consumed by bitterness, I just feel no compassion for it, and this disturbs people, for some strange reason.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
You've got it wrong, I felt blissfully happy for years with my HUSBAND. I have no tolerance at all for the ALCOHOLIC or dealing with the active disease. But we can agree to disagree!
Sorry, but we are apples and oranges. The thing it had become 12 years later was not something I would have wanted to even deal with for one day. I just made the mistake of not taking things slow, I assumed too much, but in the end, I surgically removed the gangrous limb.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

The train has reached my station. I'm off.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellnowwhat View Post
The train has reached my station. I'm off.

Good luck to you.
Thank you. 1009 hits in two days because I feel no compassion for it!!! Amazing to me, a bit surreal, but still amazing.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I wish you well in your own recovery.

I hope that you find true happiness and are able to let go of anger you are feeling toward yourself.

I will say a prayer for you, for her and for her child.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

1009 hits in two days because I feel no compassion for it!!! Amazing to me, a bit surreal, but still amazing.
The only thing that gives me pause here is your eagerness to intentionally dehumanize someone that you clearly care(d) about. That says nothing about her, and a lot about you and where you are emotionally. The compassion is not for her, necessarily, but for yourself. This "it" thing is just a defense mechanism for you to feel like you were "tricked" and that this person is beneath you. It is okay to say, "I was really disappointed," or, "That didn't turn out the way I wanted."

And frankly, showing a lack of compassion to others is triggering because it's part and parcel with the abuse that many of us have suffered at the hands of addicts, parents, and trusted loved ones. They dehumanized us, called us "its" and denied our human dignity to make it easier to **** on us. So again, the amazement is yours.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by painfully View Post
I wish you well in your own recovery.

I hope that you find true happiness and are able to let go of anger you are feeling toward yourself.

I will say a prayer for you, for her and for her child.
The prayers are thoghtful of you. I have no true anger towards myself, only an agitation, that had I known it was a 4th stage alcoholism drunk, I wouldnt have bothered.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
The only thing that gives me pause here is your eagerness to intentionally dehumanize someone that you clearly care(d) about. That says nothing about her, and a lot about you and where you are emotionally. The compassion is not for her, necessarily, but for yourself. This "it" thing is just a defense mechanism for you to feel like you were "tricked" and that this person is beneath you. It is okay to say, "I was really disappointed," or, "That didn't turn out the way I wanted."

And frankly, showing a lack of compassion to others is triggering because it's part and parcel with the abuse that many of us have suffered at the hands of addicts, parents, and trusted loved ones. They dehumanized us, called us "its" and denied our human dignity to make it easier to **** on us. So again, the amazement is yours.
The it thing is because it means nothing to me anymore. Not beneath me, just a 4th stage drunk I want nothing to do with. The facsimile it is now only vaguely resembles something I once had feelings for long ago. It is also ok to say "Had I known, I wouldnt have f'n bothered"....

Frankly, I feel justified in my lack of compassion for it. The amazement is that its up to 1149.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

i'm kinda just wondering why everyone is still fueling the flames...

this is clearly a post that triggers many strong emotions, mine included. seems to me that we would be better off stepping off of THIS crazy ride and focusing on our own personal healing.

after all, there is NO winner in this game.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shawty80 View Post
i'm kinda just wondering why everyone is still fueling the flames...

this is clearly a post that triggers many strong emotions, mine included. seems to me that we would be better off stepping off of THIS crazy ride and focusing on our own personal healing.

after all, there is NO winner in this game.
Again, because I feel indifference for it, and no compassion, it is causing mental anguish? To me, very strange and surreal. It is how I feel....that cannot be changed. I am going through my own paces. I am emotionless towards it, beyond the agitated feeling of being duped. Again "had I known, I wouldnt have bothered"
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Dude, Alanon is not about the alcoholic, its not about staying or leaving. Its about you and me. It's about dealing with the issues that are associated with living or having lived with an alcoholic. For me it was about refinding myself, healing and becoming a more sane and serene person. The lessons I have learned there and here go well beyond dealing with an alcoholic and apply quite well to my entire life.

What you may not understand is that a lot of us are here to support each other in this recovery process. What I am sharing with you is my experience and wisdom from having been married to an alcoholic for a long time.

I don't like giving my opinion but I will make an exception in this case. IMO you are showing a lot of the symptoms that I had when I first separated from my AW. I was full of rage and that was mixed with a cold indifference. My indifference was a shield that I was using to protect myself from the strong emotions that were buried inside me. Feelings of resentment, rage, shame and hate. I was a complete mess. I could be wrong but your posts remind me of where I was a year ago.

I hope I am wrong but if I'm not and at some point in the future you want to deal with these issues you won't find a better place to do it than here and at Alanon.

Good luck and best wishes for your continued life's journey.

Edit: BTW, compassion is not about love, support or action. It is simply recognizing that she is simply another human being who is suffering. Instead of Alanon's detaching with love I like to use detaching with compassion. It allows me to see my AW as she is and still to continue to focus on my recovery without guilt or regrets. I think this is the way they meant but the word "love" throws a lot of people off target.

Your friend,
Old 07-25-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
Dude, Alanon is not about the alcoholic, its not about staying or leaving. Its about you and me. It's about dealing with the issues that are associated with living or having lived with an alcoholic. For me it was about refinding myself, healing and becoming a more sane and serene person. The lessons I have learned there and here go well beyond dealing with an alcoholic and apply quite well to my entire life.

What you may not understand is that a lot of us are here to support each other in this recovery process. What I am sharing with you is my experience and wisdom from having been married to an alcoholic for a long time.

I don't like giving my opinion but I will make an exception in this case. IMO you are showing a lot of the symptoms that I had when I first separated from my AW. I was full of rage and that was mixed with a cold indifference. My indifference was a shield that I was using to protect myself from the strong emotions that were buried inside me. Feelings of resentment, rage, shame and hate. I was a complete mess. I could be wrong but your posts remind me of where I was a year ago.

I hope I am wrong but if I'm not and at some point in the future you want to deal with these issues you won't find a better place to do it than here and at Alanon.

Good luck and best wishes for your continued life's journey.

Your friend,
The difference is I feel no rage, no resentment, no shame or hate...Just indifference. I wish it no ill, I just had nor have no interest in dealing with a 4th stage drunk. I dont feel a complete mess....The feeling I have can be compared to purchasing an "as is" lemon that looked ok on the lot, but broke down on the highway, and is worthless junk that one invested in. You kind of grumble, and move on, and search for a decent vehicle that actually runs. I can give Al anon a shot, but it seems to me, that once the gangrous limb was severed, I simply moved on. And i didnt miss the limb.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Enough people. The original issue has been addressed and you are all going in circles now. There are several new folks here who are not getting their questions answered because you are all over here repeating yourselves.

This thread is now closed.

Mike
Moderator, SR