"Perfect Daughters" - ACoA resource for women

Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post "Perfect Daughters" - ACoA resource for women

(author: Robert J. Ackerman)

I picked this book up at the library recently on the recommendation of someone on this board. (I think it was on a different board actually, but I don't really remember.) I'm only about a quarter of the way through it but I can already see that I can't help but benefit from reading it. It's the 1st book I've ever read that deals with the fallout from addiction on us as daughters specifically.

I thought I had dealt with & moved beyond so many of my ACoA issues in the more than 20 yrs since my dad was an active addict (alcohol, cocaine, etc). However, with the passage of time & the perspective of now dealing with an alcoholic husband I'm changing my tune. Their addictions are so similar & yet so different & I am affected so much the same & yet again, so differently in my roles as first, daughter & now, wife.

So far, I'm amazed at so many little things that I see differently about my personality, close relationships & people-skills. Things I had considered part of my innate personality may be more tied to my role as an addict's oldest daughter than I realized. It's a real eye-opener so I thought I'd share about it here in case someone else is looking for this type of resource.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you firesprite,
I will add it to my wishlist on Amazon.
I think I told you I am the oldest daughter of an alcoholic father.
Hopefully, there is some good news in there I can grab.
:ghug3

Beth
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ironically I saw this book the other night at B&N and almost purchased it myself. Justabloke recommended a book called After The Tears. After I read that one, I will purchase Perfect Daughters
Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never read the book, but the author is a co-founder of National Association for Children of Alcoholics.

Robert J. Ackerman Ph.D.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kudzujean View Post
I've never read the book, but the author is a co-founder of National Association for Children of Alcoholics.

Robert J. Ackerman Ph.D.
I did not realize that, thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdlesstraveled View Post
Ironically I saw this book the other night at B&N and almost purchased it myself. Justabloke recommended a book called After The Tears. After I read that one, I will purchase Perfect Daughters
After reading some of your other posts today, & having read more of this book last night I think you will really get a lot out it. I found myself tearing up & my memory being triggered by things I hadn't thought to consider 'fixable'. It's simply written but opened my eyes in a way other resources haven't.

I'm reading it first & trying to absorb as much info as seems relevant & apply it to my own therapy. Then I'm going to set it aside for 6 months & read it again from the perspective of avoiding some of these issues for my daughter. If I can tweak a few behaviors & help her avoid some of this baggage & move forward more whole & centered out of this madness called addiction, I'll consider myself more than a few steps ahead in breaking the cycle.

I think I may also get a copy for my sister. She struggles so much but is so internal & closed-off about ACoA issues that maybe this will speak to her in a way that helps her heal.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Then I'm going to set it aside for 6 months & read it again from the perspective of avoiding some of these issues for my daughter.
Firesprite,
Excellent idea! My daughter has had her own struggles with addiction, and perfectionism.
She is doing okay right now, but I think she has an idea that it would bother me if she talked about me being and alcoholic and how it affected her. When I try to open it up, she shuts it down.
Yes, of course I want to control it. LOL Dammit, gotta work on that.
Anyway, she is smart and beautiful and if I could spare her one second of the pain I gave myself,......oh, I don't know. I just want her to be happy, but I know she has to learn some things herself.
I can continue to learn myself, and when she needs me, she knows where I am.

thank you again,

Beth
Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Adding this to my reading list.

Thank you so much. I know for me the ACOA stuff is a daily struggle.