A break!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

A break!

I have had two HUGE projects looming at work for next month. These two HUGE projects are ones in addition to the day-to-day workload I have (my current assignment at work has a heavier workload than any I've had in the more than 22 years I've had this job).

Because I am retiring at the beginning of December, I'm not taking any vacation days (money out of my pocket when I leave), and I have been bringing work home EVERY night and weekend all summer. Not only that, but these two projects were to culminate at the exact same time next month, and one of them has been slowly slipping out of control due to various problems, including vacation schedules of other various participants. It looked like there was no way out.

Yesterday there was a significant planning meeting concerning the biggest and most problematic of the two projects. The bottom line is that this particular one is now "off" until sometime in September at the earliest. There is still a CHANCE it will be resolved in some other way, but for now, at least, I can breathe.

I came home last night without bringing ANYTHING home, ordered a pizza, and went to bed at 9 pm, getting a good night's sleep.

The funny thing is, when I was driving in to work yesterday (knowing there was a possibility this thing would be postponed to September), I let go of what would happen. I repeated the Serenity Prayer (adding the "thy will, not mine" at the end). It was one of those situations where I couldn't possibly know what was best. On the one hand, it would be good to only deal with one of these messes at a time. On the other, I have been looking forward to getting past both of them, and now the one will still be looming (for awhile, anyway).

So we shall see what becomes of project #2. It's possible that, since I am leaving December 1, it will be reassigned to someone else in case there are further delays. Or, something may happen to make it go away altogether (still a possibility). For now, though, I choose to be grateful that I only have to focus on one of these at a time, and I can still work on my other responsibilities at work (which would have been sadly neglected and would have led to additional stress next month).

For now, I choose to be grateful. My HP knows better than I do how this will all shake out.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amazing how things work out when we do let go! I'm glad you ordered that pizza and went to bed early for extra sleep!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats Lexie!

Just keep in mind that Dec 1 isn't that far away. In military terms you are officially a short timer and as such they really shouldn't be expecting any extra from you.

Your friend
Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope you get a few more nights like last night in!

Thanks for posting. I love the real life examples of letting go and being grateful in all areas of our life. I really benefit from hearing them as it is still a 'work in progress' for me.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome, Lexie! I found letting go at work to be even more of a challenge some days than letting go of the A.

But once I did, it changed my whole job outlook. Even though I have projects in a state of chaos, it no longer bothers me. I do the best I can each day and that's the best I can do.

Today I am taking the day off even though I am super busy at work, but its sunny and in Alaska, we have to enjoy each and every warm sunny day so we have something to remember and look forward to in January when its dark and freezing. ; )

Thanks for sharing! Any retirement plans? New career? Adventures?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
sometimes ya just gotta let the bananas dance!

LOL, sometimes I think that could be the theme behind this whole forum.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TeM

I can relate. I often take extra work home, or do freelance work at night and on weekends. I hate it, but need the money. There's nothing quite like the feeling when a project is completed, or a troublesome project gets postponed or cancelled.

At those times, it's wonderful to just kick back, eat a snack and watch television.

One of life's little pleasures.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Thanks, guys. Yup, sometimes we gotta let them bananas dance!

I am planning to go see the new Harry Potter (the final episode) tomorrow night. I am taking myself out to dinner, too. I am gonna invite a friend, but if she isn't up for it, I am taking MYSELF on a date. (I do that every now and then--I don't have to worry about the goodnight kiss, though I do give myself a hug sometimes. )

I did bring home work, but I can do it without the pressure of having to take care of a zillion details right this second. I've only been making one AA meeting a week for the past couple of weeks, so I'm looking forward to my meetings tonight and Sunday, too.

Today was busy, as usual, but it felt less frenetic than it's been.

Yeah, Mike, I know all about short-timers. I love military lingo (Dad in AF). My personal favorite is FUBAR (effed up beyond all recognition). Not to mention Charlie Foxtrot (the first word stands for "cluster"). My current projects fit both of those descriptions.

TG, I've been planning (or was, before stuff at work got so nutso) to start my own freelance writing business. I may do that, may take a part-time job--anything that isn't high pressure that I would enjoy doing. I have a terrific pension (part of why I'm retiring now is that our lovely State Blimp, er, Governor, is working as hard as he can at building a constituency for a Presidential run at the expense of hard-working government employees like me), so I have a little breathing room. I have a bit of debt to whittle down (leftovers from bad choices in male companionship), so I do want to make a bit of extra money so someday I can REALLY retire.

It will be a big adjustment in a lot of ways, but hey, I can do anything.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yes, Lexie i agree...(I'm technically a state government employee too, that hasn't had a raise in 4.5 years)...Governor Fat-boy? who cannot walk across the football field, must take a limo...don't get me started. I'm still 12 years from retiring. who knows what will be picked over by the buzzards by that time.

congrats on relaxing.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
TG, I've been planning (or was, before stuff at work got so nutso) to start my own freelance writing business. I may do that, may take a part-time job--anything that isn't high pressure that I would enjoy doing. I have a terrific pension (part of why I'm retiring now is that our lovely State Blimp, er, Governor, is working as hard as he can at building a constituency for a Presidential run at the expense of hard-working government employees like me), so I have a little breathing room. I have a bit of debt to whittle down (leftovers from bad choices in male companionship), so I do want to make a bit of extra money so someday I can REALLY retire.

It will be a big adjustment in a lot of ways, but hey, I can do anything.
That sounds awesome! I've had a wave of colleagues retire lately (must be the baby boom generation thing!) and each one had a really cool and interesting next chapter of their lives planned...some are globe-hopping, some are moving into a new career doing something they've always wanted to do but couldn't afford to do, some are simply taking the time to really dedicate to grand-children. But what I love to hear is the new options opening up for people and the excitement they have when they talk about it.

I still have two kids to get through college but I have the same sense of excitement and adventure as that light at the end of the kid-tunnel gets brighter and brighter. So for now, I am living vicariously through others' new and exciting adventures.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
I still have two kids to get through college but I have the same sense of excitement and adventure as that light at the end of the kid-tunnel gets brighter and brighter. So for now, I am living vicariously through others' new and exciting adventures.
Part of the reason this is great timing for me is that I JUST wrote my very last tuition check (last month--the kiddo "graduated" but had one course to make up this summer), and my child support obligation is over. Of course, I envision still helping out on a voluntary basis, but the big expenses there are done.

Don't worry, TG, it will be there before you know it. And yeah, one of the things that makes me feel good about the situation is that so many of my colleagues look ten years younger after only a few months of retirement.