Thread: A break!
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
TG, I've been planning (or was, before stuff at work got so nutso) to start my own freelance writing business. I may do that, may take a part-time job--anything that isn't high pressure that I would enjoy doing. I have a terrific pension (part of why I'm retiring now is that our lovely State Blimp, er, Governor, is working as hard as he can at building a constituency for a Presidential run at the expense of hard-working government employees like me), so I have a little breathing room. I have a bit of debt to whittle down (leftovers from bad choices in male companionship), so I do want to make a bit of extra money so someday I can REALLY retire.

It will be a big adjustment in a lot of ways, but hey, I can do anything.
That sounds awesome! I've had a wave of colleagues retire lately (must be the baby boom generation thing!) and each one had a really cool and interesting next chapter of their lives planned...some are globe-hopping, some are moving into a new career doing something they've always wanted to do but couldn't afford to do, some are simply taking the time to really dedicate to grand-children. But what I love to hear is the new options opening up for people and the excitement they have when they talk about it.

I still have two kids to get through college but I have the same sense of excitement and adventure as that light at the end of the kid-tunnel gets brighter and brighter. So for now, I am living vicariously through others' new and exciting adventures.