Confessions of a Colorphile

Old 08-25-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

thank you...the bedroom is low light and I do want to try a warm, but wake-up yellow.

I just bought a book: Snoop:What your stuff says about you

fun!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey FD,

I have used the macro setting on my camera to take a picture of a page when scanning wasn't an option. Just a thought.

L
Old 08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

FD, I just found this thread and your style is fabulous!!! I love what you have done with colour and your porch is calling me to come sit a while.

I am going to have our condo painted throughout in a few months, so I hope you don't mind if I ask for suggestions when the time comes.

I am a butter yellow freak myself, had it in my house before we moved from Toronto and loved it. I am thinking of trying it again, and will check out that Benjamin Moore Moonlight yellow too.

Thank you for sharing your lovely home and decorating ideas.

Hugs
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

FD I love this thread (and don't ever paint over your beautiful work if you decide one day to sell your house--because I'm buying it!!-lol)

When I started looking at houses my kids always came with me. When I decided on the one I did my older son just begged me not to buy it. He told me it was an old person's house It was very beige, pink, wallpaper border from the wrong decade. Well I have been here for 4 months and not a single room remains the same. I found a color for the LR and DR that I loved--then I looked at the name of it-Home Sweet Home. Perfect!

I let me kids pick the colors they wanted for their bedrooms. Younger DS picked out orange and a kind of turquoise blue (he has lots of wild colors in his bed coverlet and is my color guy). Older DS went with a very distinguished linen color and not sure how to describe the blue--but very cool. Me, I went with antique jade and . . .hmmmm, a lovely shade of purple I have this thing about painting one wall in the bedrooms different than the rest. Just stripped the blue and silver wallpaper from the kitchen this weekend. There is chair rail so I covered the bile yellow on top with a lovely custard and pumpkin cream on the bottom below the chair rail.

Older DS came home and said-well, you did it mom. You turned this old people's house into our house.

But my house is NOT as neat as yours (and sigh, probably won't be for a few years). I used to be a neat freak and gave up after getting tired of picking up. I do have a rule though--if I find your stuff in my living space (which is the LR, DR, kitchen, my bedroom) at the end of the night it becomes mine. . .all it took was each of them losing a treasured toy once for them to keep their clutter in their own room So I have a few neat spots. . .

Now I need to figure out what to do with my very "retro" bathroom. . .the tub, sink and toilet are that lovely yellow green from the 60s or early 70s.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Great idea, LTD. I still have the books with the pages flagged on my kitchen table. I'll try snapping a few pics of the rooms I promised to post here with my camera. The rooms featuring the purple couch and chairs are unbelievable.

W2K, the reason my house is so neat is that my daughter is 24 years old and she spends most of her spare time at the barn (horses and horseback riding are her passion). That plus the fact that I am obsessive compulsive when it comes to lots of things--and neatness (and especially ordering!) are two of my problem areas.

You know, I mentioned once on SR that I read somewhere that a disordered home can be a sign of a disordered life (my childhood home was a disaster), to which someone replied that, conversely, a seriously neat home can also be a sign of emotional instability as well. To which I replied "uh oh."

Apparently, when I let go of one obsession, I just switch to a new one. I'm trying to work on this and will now leave dishes in the sink until the next day and my daughter's bed unmade.

There is a little disorder in my life, but it's hidden behind closet doors--like Monica on "Friends."
Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone, for your replies and sharing a peek inside your homes, too. Feel free to post your pics here!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

FD,

I really like the color of your bedroom. I live in a tiny house, I am always trying to figure out how to make it look larger and flow better. Color seems to be the answer...I am totally redoing the inside of my little dollhouse and when I get it done, I will post some pictures.

I just love your style, so classy, yet totally inviting!

Thanks for posting your pictures.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hey, FD....LOL
When I finish that book...I'll give you a reading!

Actually I'll attempt one now...your house very much says you are a private person.
I didn't see anything displayed that they call "identity claims"...things that clearly represent political, philosophical etc affiliations and statements.
(other than your statement of being into and involved with home decor)
You don't have behavioral residue....things that leave "footprints" about your personal, daily lifestyle. (your dog is in one photo)
You are very conscious of what others' see and are probably even harder to read in person.
This is off the cuff,,,without really looking at the photos again and just for fun..
when I finish the book...I will go back and try my skills.

Now...if I could just read those book titles! LOL
Old 08-26-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Hmmm Live very interesting!

I must admit that I have no family pictures, not a one, in my house. I tend to carry my photos in my mind. And, most of my art is abstract, its up to the viewer to figure out what it is. Tell me what you see...we'll discuss it from there.

Guess I don't leave any footprints anywhere...wonder why?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Ooh, how interesting. What is the name of the book? I'd love to learn more. I actually have four dogs. Marty, the little guy in my avatar, follows me everywhere.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

well, I did notice that FD's private space (her bedroom) is more conservative and tranquil than the rest of her house.
She didn't show the bathrooms LOL

Actually in one sense she does have a HUGE "footprint"....none would be someone who didn't do up their house at all....she definitely personalizes her space and puts her stamp on every inch of it.

Sorry...I am still at the studies of personalities part of the book. They are sneaking in some "textbook" on me
Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I got kicked off the net before I could edit:
While FD is a private perwon she is also an extravert. (would an introvert put out photos of their home..which is essentially private space?)

FD is very much in control of her environment.
And she likes that.

The book is on my kindle...I think it is "Snoop..what our stuff says about us"
Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Live,
"Snoop..what our stuff says about us."

A perfect book for we codies...we love to snoop!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

exactly Dollydo!

My xh used to joke about filling the medicine cabinet with ping pong balls....I still think it a very funny idea and according to this book alot of people do peek!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Snork...we have been caught! Ping Pong balls..I love it! I never thought to look for drugs or my jewelry in the medicine cabinet...just seemed too obvious!

I was with ex-abf snooping was a way of life..I just needed to know, to prove my point. What a waste of time.

Now I am to color!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I have GOT to get that book, Live. Your descriptions of me based on viewing my pictures are spot on. I've often said that the only thing I can truly control is my environment. Guess that shows big time.

I am an introvert with strangers and people I don't know well but an extrovert with my closest friends and family. So, you're right, I am both.

I repainted and redecorated my bedroom a bit about a year ago. I wanted a serene space to sleep in and, more importantly, to wake in the morning. It's funny that you see the conservative side of me in my bedroom. That, ahem, translates to more than just decor. Maybe I'm trying to send a subliminal message to any potential new man in my life that I'm not all that adventurous.

I'm really getting into a spare, uncluttered look. I started reading "The Happiness Project" (can't remember the author's name off hand). The first chapter focused on decluttering your life--especially your personal spaces. I figured, hey, I can do that and began decluttering my house from top to bottom--even my Monica-like closets and drawers.

I did a first cut (it took weeks) and was so enjoying having more space in my closets, shelves, and drawers, that I went in for a more critical second cut. Then I began to eliminate things that I did not use on a daily basis. It certainly cut down on my housework.

I haven't read more than the first chapter because I got sidetracked with all the benefits of decluttering.

Will share more as I read the rest of the book. Can't wait for a further reading, Live!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

LOL!
I am glad you aren't offended by my amateur "crystal ball" I have always loved psychology and am a people watcher.

I personally need to do some massive de-cluttering!

When/if you get that book...I think you will find that you know much of it already!

Your bedroom isn't as bold and daring as the rest of the house...that is our private space and where we "reveal" more.

So...your house says you are very conscientous. This is shown by the organization and orderliness.
as the book says ....your towels match and are precisely folded and hung.
You would notice immediately if someone skewed them....as an example.
This would translate to punctuality...paying bills on time, being perhaps early for appmts etc

Alot of it is common sense.

One thing you may find interesting to look at is what things we place so that they are seen by people who sit in the visitor's seat and the ones placed where they are for you to see.

An easy example is the office desk...people often put photos there...are they turned outward or toward you behind the desk.

I am not fully awake....will share more when I wake up.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Uncluttering my life has been my biggest challenge. I tend to collect stuff.

I have read that if you do not wear or use something for a year...donate or toss it. I just can't seem to follow that logic. I tend to hold onto too much "Stuff".

Overall, I am getting better, I have tossed 6 large leaf bags of "Stuff". I donated 12 more bags of "Stuff".

I actually feel better, less encumbered...so, I continue to purge.

Watching the show Hoarders really opened my eyes...although I am a neat freak and hide my "Stuff", I saw what could happen if I do not get my collecting of "Stuff" under control. It could end up being...nothing... but a pile of junk.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

HI!

I have got alot of fixing up to do before I paint anything...but I keep looking at that kitchen and thinking....paint it in a bold color! LOL
Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I have so enjoyed that color. It's called Pear. I combined it with Windmill Wings blue on the ceiling (it's a light blue with a hint of purple in it), both by Benjamin Moore. Since you don't have a store near you, you can tell any paint store the names of the colors and manufacturer and they can recreate them. If they need the exact color number, I can provide that too!

So, the upcoming projects that I talked about a while back are now complete. They are a complete makeover of my:

Living Room
Dining Room
Family Room
Kitchen
Foyer
Stairwell

This time, I used the softer colors I mentioned I was toying around with a few weeks ago. The white furniture is now black. I basically kept the same color scheme--blue and green, but softened the colors dramatically and either painted or replaced the white furniture with black. So, in essence, I simply inverted the color scheme.

The result is less of a cottage/beachy feel and a more elegant feel. Anyway, it was fun as all get out. It took me seven years to save enough money, but it was worth the wait.

I was thinking about starting a new thread to show the end results, but I'm not sure it is recovery related and don't want to hog the boards from folks who really need attention.

But then again, I was also thinking that it could be a testament to having moved on from making the alcoholic in my life a priority to making myself a priority and how much fun it's been to focus on things that bring me joy instead of things that bring me pain.

What do you all think? A new ColorPhile thread, yes or no? I've got some house cleaning to do today--the dogs are shedding and there is hair everywhere. So tomorrow the house would be at it's shiny best and I'll be home to snap and upload some pics.

My next project begins in October. I'll be adding some new trees and plants to my backyard. The plan was initially much grander, but I'm still broke from the last redo.

Since I can't sell this house and purchase the little farmette I've been dying to buy due to the lousy housing market, I can enjoy the heck out of the home I have now.

I see some paint in your future, Live!