Confessions of a Colorphile

Old 08-20-2010, 04:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Mataleao, I think Little Stevie is a cutie, too. We named him Steven Tyler after the rock star because the day we were choosing his name, the real Steven Tyler had fallen off a stage, and his name was hanging out in my head.

And yes, by all means, everyone post your pics here, in PurpleSquirrel's post, or start your own thread. Notice how there isn't a single mention of alcoholism, alcoholic partners, or alcoholic woes in these threads?

Now, that's a "good thing."
Old 08-20-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I love your porch area and use of colour in general, its very inspiring
Old 08-20-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

OK, FormerDoormat...now I am intensely jealous and full of admiration for your beautiful home. I live in an apartment and am strictly forbidden (as in - in the lease, bold print) from painting the walls. Your house is beautiful and oh so tidy. Decorative items are not big in my household because my kids - 10 and 7 - don't get decorative. They get functional. Especially my ADD 10 year old - they won't leave anything alone. I have tried to get them to understand to stay out of my room so I can have some small island of peace and tidyness but I am fighting hard. There are more of them than there are of me, and they have more energy....once more into the breach.....

But I decided after I bought my purple couch to start from there. The couch is the focus of the living room and I am gonna try to spiral out from there. Saturday I am gonna look for a new jazzy lamp to go next to the couch.....and maybe a nice dish full of colorful markers and colored pencils. Then, move over a few feet and invest in a nice rug. A few feet more and maybe a new/used entertainment center. The couch is the "plant" and all else will "vine" out from that in slow waves of growth....we shall see....

I have tons of books on decorating but no actual experience. My home growing up had nothing. It was bleak. I don't wanna do bleak anymore. So its gonna be a struggle.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Susan Sargent did a room where she left all the walls white--probably an apartment or rental with a "no painting" stipulation. She painted the coffee table, end tables, and a shelving unit with bright colors instead. And she loaded up the shelving unit with colorful pottery--known as McCoy--that is relatively cheap and fun to hunt out at flea markets, garage sales, and antique shops.

But you could simply buy some clay pots in a variety of sizes and styles from a home improvement or garden shop and spray paint--or hand paint them using inexpensive acrylic paints. That way, if the kiddos break any, then you're only out a dollar or so and you get an opportunity to seek out and paint another fun pot.

Pottery Barn sells colorful floor mats. They are lightweight, relatively inexpensive--around $100.00 for a 5 x 7' rug and you can flip them when one side is dirty/worn out to get twice the wear. When they are dirty/worn out on both sides, I use them as deck or porch rugs.

I purchase floor mats and accessories frequently from the Pottery Barn Kids catalog instead of Pottery Barn (Adults--lol). The items are cheaper, more colorful, and go on sale quite frequently.

I purchase outdoor pillows for indoor use. When I tire of them, or they become dirty, I move them to my front porch or deck. They don't get tossed until they are really beyond help. The palm leaf pillows you see in my living room are outdoor pillows. They will probably make their way to my front porch next spring. And if they still look good, I will wash them with soap and water, and they may make their way back inside.

I still have some Ikea dressers that I bought for my first townhouse 14 years ago. I paid $89.00 per dresser and they still look great, and held up fabulously. The only thing I did was to change out the knobs to spice them up a bit.

You are going to have some serious fun decorating and accessorizing a room around a purple couch. Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Red walls are difficult to paint. It takes a lot of coats of paint to get a smooth, unblotchy surface.
To eliminate this problem, use a grey primer beneath the red. My deep red dining room was one coat.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great suggestion. My brother (and I) learned that the hard way.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

I so love yoir home .. Im a color freak as well , when I got with my hubbie was one thing he stated was no wild colors , apparently his ex wife way over did it , forward to our first home here cpl of months ago .. Im the painter .. I did colors and shockingly he loves the selections I choose . my bathroom is my fav .. its a turquiseish green .. thing is , i hung on the ceiling a piece of Latis , and took a really long philadandum plant and hooked it to the latis , and then placed some sworksie (sp) crystals in it as well , It came out soo neat , Im going for the jungle affect and its going that way , I painted the hubbies bath the same color tho no plants , but Hes digging the colors or coffee, grey and turquise ive done , all trim work is white so it looks crisp and clean .. thanks for sharing your home with us , its inspiring ... Id add pics but i so have no patience for bucket ..
Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh my god! That is beautiful! When I get my own home, I know who I'm calling to come decorate it! and... I always hated colors, but it looks SOOOO lovely!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

WOW!!!

I love the white furniture against the bright colors. So festive, you must be bright and energetic every minute of the day.

I wish I could do the white furniture, but with my destructive and filthy family - forget it!!

I am sort of a neutral color person, but you have inspired me. I will now shop for bright color throw pillows. That will be my beginning to live life OUTLOUD!!!!

I'm going back to look at your pix again...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

How could anyone not feel happy inside your home. It sings!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

so exciting and inspiring, FD! I thank you from the bottom of my heart! I look at pics in magazines..but this is different, this is a real home that you live in.

I have alot more collectibles...I love your clean, crisp look..but I am not willing to put away the memorbilia I have from travels and etc.

I cannot get over how striking the green wall with the yellow/gold stair wall is!
What color is the yellow/gold?

Many years ago I had a bedroom, big enough that I did the jungle thing. I attached those lionw/ring drawer pulls to the ceiling, made leather strips to hang from them tied into a circle, hung a bamboo rod from the leather strips, draped gauzy material similar to mosquito netting on that. Then I stencilled a pair of love birds on one side above the bamboo to look like they were perched on it.
I really loved it.

Keep the ideas coming!
And you are right...we do have better things to do than worrying about someone else's alcohol!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

They look like pictures from a magazine! Thanks for sharing : )
Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi, NYChick. Long time no "see."
Old 08-20-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're enjoying this thread, Live. The stairwell is Yellow Highlighter (#2021-40) by Benjamin Moore. The living room and kitchen walls are Pear (#2028-40) by Benjamin Moore. The dining room and family room walls are Blue Lapis (#2067-40) by Benjamin Moore. Even though it's a bit more expensive than hardware store brands, I prefer Benjamin Moore paints because they apply like a dream and you can get the primer base plus tint it to the color of your choice, and no more priming.

I've found when it comes to completing a task (whether it's graphics at work or a project at home), that having the right tools is really key to getting a good result.

Since you're a more neutral gal than me, check out Pale Sea Mist (#2147-50) also by Benjamin Moore. It's a neutral light avocado green. Try pairing it with Ocean Air (2123-50), a light greyish blue, and Old Prairie (#2143-50), a light grey with a tiny hint of green.

I'm using these three more quiet colors on a project I'm just finishing up. I'll post pics when the project is complete.

I've painted my rooms so many colors over the years that the folks at the Benjamin Moore paint store have given me a contractor's account (and therefore a contractor's discount). They must think I'm a professional painter and not just a paint-obsessed gal. I'll let them continue to think that so I can have the discount!

And by all means, show off your collections. I collect colorful enameled tea pots and majolica, which is Victorian era pottery. I'll try and snap some pics of my collections and post them here.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You have an absolutely lovely home, FD! I love the colors and arrangements! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
DMC

I love red walls!

My last kitchen was a deep merlot - took 2 coats of a pinkish primer and 2 coats of regular paint to get it that way, but it was worth it. The house before that, my "office" was a color called "crushed strawberries," and then I took a feather duster, dipped the tips in ivory and dusted ivory feather texture on top - one of the coolest looks I'd ever seen. I loved that room.

In the same house, I painted the master bedroom ceiling navy blue. It made the room more intimate, and I loved it. And yes, I hated the idea of covering it up to be "normal."

I love the colors!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Merlot walls, how wonderful. I can imagine myself cooking up beef burgundy from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in a merlot colored kitchen. Bon apetit!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I think this is my favorite thread EVER!
Huge thanks for the colors info, FD!
I might run out to Benjamin Moore today with those colors and have a look!

Ever looked at Restoration Hardware?
talk about neutral! LOL But I seem to love the tranquility.
BUT I am going to try more colors...I always thought off-white (tan hints) would show the colors of my things better, but dangit I am changing my mind! LOL
I have paint fever!

and I do believe you have also inspired me to get cracking at packing for the upcoming move.

Navajo white..had a brain fart onthe name of it.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am so LOVING your help here...I really do have a passion for home decor!

So, as I mentioned in the other thread I love textures: lots of leathers, I have rust, oyster, dark tan, dark brown and a smaller mustard one. oh and navy blue and muted red. oh and I forgot the area rug is the leather srtrips cinnamon with two wide black stripes on the ends.and fringed. I have an awesone butterfly chair that has cow hides done in blocks..both the black and white and the brown speckled.
I have an african drum that I use as a table.

I could so hog this thread! LOL

more of my stuff later!

all suggestions are welcome!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

FD, I like your color suggestions but....I cannot do grayish colors, I learned that the hard way. I have depression and the grays seem to effect it negatively.
The onlytwo colors I want to avoid are blue and pink.

Dammit, I knew I didn't like this town! No Benjamin Moore! But I went online.
So far, I love Riverdale green #415

I am going to try to post a pic of my room in Argentina...I couldn't paint, but I did decorate it from a plain room to one that suited me.