Confessions of a Colorphile

Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I used the furniture that the hotel had in storage.

I still have the hide/butterfly chair and the cindo de mayo painting...
the rest I gave away, too much luggage LOL

but this give the idea of my basic tastes.

Not bad for a one room suite, eh?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Live...what a fun room! Love your style.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Live, I just love that room. Especially the table off to the side. It's like a cozy little hotel room in an exotic locale. A comfy bed, good lighting, and a great place to sit and read and nibble on scones or something.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Beautiful, rich tones, Live. Love the chair! I love texture, too. Your current scheme sounds fabulous with a wide array of neutral tones plus some dark tones like chocolate and black for high contrast. Did you ever watch Trading Spaces? Richard (the guy with the pony tail--forget his last name) was one of my favorite designers on that show and he always said that every room needs a touch of black.

He often used an economical trick instead of crown molding. He would take cording and glue it where the walls and ceiling met. I would use clear tacks instead, so I wouldn't have to deal with removing the glue sometime in the future.

A favorite English designer of mine, Alexandra Stoddard, always said that every room needs a touch of yellow. I like how those tricks became their signature style. I'm currently really into aqua and have tried to use a touch of aqua in every room of my house. It's a small detail but I think it gives the house a cohesive look. A touch of black in every room would be really sophisticated.

I love decorating, too, and could talk about it forever.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

well, then..we can make a good start on forever! LOL

I guess it is time to come clean.....

I bought a mid 1980's mobile home. Ick.
So, why did I do that?
It is in the town I chose to be in out of all the US and I could pay cash for it.

I already know that I am going to paint everything.
But I am having a hard time picturing it looking nice.

I want a house home....hopefully we will find one there in a yaer or two.

Inever watched tv..so I am not familiar with the folks you mention.
Now I wish I were.

hmmmm...you are sending me back to Benjamin Moore! LOL
I had found a color named peanut butter I liked...will check out chocolates too.

Sweetie likes black and we have touches of it. I Could bring in something a bit modern with sophisticated lines.

I HAVE been wanting Yellow!

Good grief...I am afraid of things looking tacky and cluttered.

Your home is so picture perfect!
I bet you could win prizes with magazines!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I bought a double wide in a nice park around here. It is a 1978, basically had to gut it. Wow I was amazed what a bucket of paint, new carpet and a lot of love can do.

My brother is going to live in it, he is relocating to Florida and looking forward to our sunny days!

You obviously are creative, just need to get those juices flowing!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

thanks, Dolly!

I gutted and re-did one when I was first divorced.

This is a single wide. Has that white ceiling with the dark beams on it.

It is 937 miles away right now....so I will have to wait to dig in.

There are some beautiful ones in Florida.
I used to live in Apollo Beach..just south of Tampa.

Sometimes I really miss that area!
But I am going for the mountains, lakes. and verdant forests this time.
In the Appalchians.

but hey...it has all appliances (I may replace the kitchen ones) but the dishwaher is something I will be delighted to have. And the washer dryer is behind bi-fold drawers. (I have always been the dishwasher!)
Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Got my new driver's license today....guess what color shirt I wore for the picture....
Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Fd????????????
Old 08-21-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Live: I picked a room out of Susan Sargent's third book, "Colorscapes" (her first book was called "New Country Color," I believe). It's a somewhat neutral room with all the tones I see on the quilt in the photo you posted, so I know the colors are right up your alley. I'm going to scan the pic and post it later tonight (have to get outside and mow and edge the yard).

Nothing wrong with a trailer in my book. I have a book by Christopher Lowell (he used to have an interior decorating show on the Discovery Channel about 7-10 years ago). It's dedicated to small spaces, but specifically it's a book where he took a double wide trailer and transformed it into a spectacular home. You won't believe the end results. I'll fetch that book and post the name of it here, plus post a photo or two for you as inspiration.

And PurpleSquirrel, I found a room in "Colorscapes" that features, you guessed it, a purple sofa. In fact, there were several rooms featuring purple sofas or purple chairs. I will also scan a photo of the room and post it as inspiration for you, too.

And I forget who said they had a rental unit and had to deal with all white walls, but I found a picture of the room I mentioned before featured in "The Comfort of Color" and will scan and post that pic here, too.

Now, I'm off to do some yard work. It's 3:30 and I've put it off long enough.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I love color, too. My living room, dining room, and kitchen are warm reds, browns, and golds. I love the warmth of it.

I just converted a bedroom into my own space...an office, scrapbooking, and reading room. The walls are gray blue (makes it warmer and more neutral than an colder blue) and the trim is antique white. With the browns in the furniture and curtains, I LOVE it. My late Grandma, a very classy lady, decorated her home with this blue and white combo in different ways for many years. It reminds me of her which also makes me happy.

Youngest daughter's room is white with a deep turquoise accent wall to match her turquoise, lime green, and hot pink comforter and curtains.

Second daughter's room is deep red with gray and black to match her school pride. She's an athlete, her life is about her sports.

And the third daughter has a room decorated with brown and pink.

If I ever decide to sell this house, I'll have to neutralize the paint choices to make it more appealing to potential buyers. But we love it the way it is!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

oh, thank YOU!

I get anxioius about the idea ofpainting.
I have messed it up in the past.
Alth' my daugher's cottage garden room was very beautiful.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Live,

When you move, you move! I like the mountains, my Mom lives Asheville NC, it is a beautiful area.

Once you get there, it will all come together. Might consider going to the library lots of good books on decorating and color!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Beautiful use of colors! Sigh, I would love to be a neat freak. Sadly, I'm ADD, and evidence suggests my daughter is too-- our house is often a disaster area.

I am a neutrals person: I love deserty and woodsy colors-- I could live in Restoration Hardware! Due to cost considerations I recently gave in and painted the 100 yr old, extremely dinged-up woodwork in my house off white. It looks better and cleaner and the rooms look larger but I was sorry to cover the wood up. I did paint my kitchen cobalt blue a couple of years ago, and it came out great. Uhh, maybe a picture when I'm done with the dishes and have mopped the floor and gotten rid of the junk on the table...
Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

So, I finished mowing the lawn, changed my clothes, and grabbed the computer out of my daughter's hands (a difficult thing to do, as she just got back from vacation), and the scanner software isn't loaded on this computer. So I loaded the software and then got a message saying I needed to load the scanner drivers, which I found online. Tried to download them and I keep getting an error message. My daughter, who is the computer wiz of the family, is apparently too busy watching a movie to help me.

So, I'm still struggling with getting the scanner to work. But in the meantime, the book dedicated to decorating trailers is called "Christopher Lowell's You Can Do It--Small Spaces--Decorating to Make Every Inch Count."

So bear with me, and I'll get 'er done, but probably not until my daughter is done watching her movie.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

So, still no luck with getting the scanner drivers loaded onto the computer. It's a new computer with a newer operating system, and after two days of trying it appears that my scanner is too old to work with the new operating system. Pity, since it still works great.

So, I have no scanned photos to show you from the books I talked about, but I did find a few pictures of my bedroom, which I repainted a light aqua color about a year or so ago. It's my current favorite color.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

well, thank you.....that answers one question...do I paint all the walls in the bedroom one color?
I am going to do either that green or one of butter shades.
I love how you painted the ceiling to match!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I also found another picture of my porch decorated in a beach theme. These were the same chairs which have now been painted fire engine red.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I painted the living room in my townhouse a beautiful butter yellow (it was called "Moonlight" by Benjamin Moore). I found yellow to be a somewhat tricky color to select, as it changes drastically depending on the light. If you decide to go with yellow, I'd recommend purchasing several shades of yellow in some of those tiny sample-sized pots of paint. That way, you can paint squares of the various shades of yellow and live with them for a few days so you can see how they look in various amounts of light. Yellows can get really harsh in artificial evening light, so that may be your litmus test.

I forgot to answer your question about the Restoration Hardware colors--I LOVE them. I believe they now sell them in their catalog. I loved their home furnishing line, but it was out of my league price-wise.

One thing I wanted to share with you from Christopher Lowell's "Small Spaces" book: He says "when you can't build out, build up." His book is loaded with all sorts of building and storage ideas, so you can make every inch of your small home count.

The book was published in 2003, so if you can't find it in bookstores you can probably find it on his website or purchase a used copy on eBay or a used book store. You will not believe the transformations in this book. And the best thing about it is that he gives you complete instructions for every project in the book. I know you will thoroughly enjoy it and refer to it again and again.