Confessions of a Colorphile

Old 10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

fab rooms FD, mine could be like that somewhere underneath all the primary coloured plastic (young children ). I love that your sitting room is so tranquil, relaxed and refined, yet your bedroom has more than a hint of va-va-voom ;-)

Love flylady, I am so much not a domestic goddess; I don't mind hard work, I just need someone to direct me when it comes to house-work. So someone saying "you have 5mins to declutter your nightstand: go, go go!!" is what I need, I've only been doing it for 2 weeks, have sacked the cleaners and my house looks miles better than it did before
Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Oh, so Flylady is another home/decorating show? I'll have to check it out. My daughter is 24 years old now, Jen, so no more plastic toys all over the house, but I find dog toys everywhere. They love stuffed animals.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Flylady isn't decorating...it is home organization and housekeeping.
She is on the internet...you wouldn't need her FD, but someone more challenged like me...benefits.

Thank you for weighing in on painting the paneling..I love the cottage look too...and I simply am not ready to start any construction projects this time of year.
Will look into that product as the very idea of sheetrock and trying to get a smooth finish with seams and nails makes me ill.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks for inspiring me to declutter today.

I can't believe how clean your house is with 4 dogs and a garden. There should be a trick somewhere.

I am reading "The happiness project" thanks so much for the recommendation.

I loved your pics.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am checking out the books, as I have a small house.

Live, I have redone paneling several ways, filled in the ridges, mudded over the entire walls and just painted right over the paneling. Must admit for all the work involved with the first two, I'd vote for just painting over the walls. Oh, I forgot, I also wallpapered over the paneling, just used a plain swirl pattern paper and painted over that. That turned out ok too, however it was very labor instensified.

Here at my digs, work continues, new doors are in, trim is in and all is painted. My new appliances have been delivered, all LG, lifes good, I no longer have to crawl on my knees to the bottom of my frig as I bought a bottom freezer one, old age makes one think outside of the box!

On Monday all H*ll breaks loose, my kitchen is being gutted, won't even have to think about cooking for a week...Yah! pretzels, crackers and cheese, are my dinner selections!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Can't wait to see the photos of your completed renovation, Dolly. If you have "before" pics, please post those, too. I love to see before/after photos of renovation projects. Hope you enjoy the small spaces books by Christopher Lowell.

I think the only trick to keeping my house so clean is that I'm obsessively neat. I try and put things away as I use them and to limit the amount of stuff I acquire--I think that's half the battle. The fewer items there are to put away and find room for, the less work is involved. Except for doing the dishes and making beds each day, I only do housework one day a week. With four dogs, by the end of the week, my house is seriously hairy. Vacuuming and mopping floors is my most time-consuming task since I allow my dogs to get on all the furniture, so no surface is hair free. Oh, and laundering all the sheets, blankets, and comforters is a weekly chore, too.

I love a clean, clutter-free home, but I love my dogs more, so I live with dog hair (and muddy paws when it rains). Hope you enjoy the Happiness Project, TC. I've got to get my rear in gear and read the other chapters. I have so many half-read books it's ridiculous.

I think painting your paneling is a good choice, and the most economical one, too, Live. I've never painted paneling before, so I don't know what prep work, if any, is necessary before painting it (sanding, priming, etc.) or what paint would be the best choice for the job. My brother recently painted my mother's paneling in her 1970s home white and it looks terrific. Be sure and take before and after pics. Even if you don't post them here, you'll enjoy comparing them.

My brother is coming over next weekend to help me with a small backyard project. I have to replant 6 Boxwoods that I planted this spring that failed due to the summer drought. He will also be helping me plant two Crepe Myrtle trees and giving them a stone border so I can plant flowers under neath them in the spring. I'll snap some photos of the work in progress and share them here.