Well I fell for it again--you predicted it

Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well I fell for it again--you predicted it

I really am an idiot. I knew this drinking binge wasn't his bottom, but I still had hope that maybe he was close. I actually wrote down--look at his actions not his words.

Words=I won't drink again (there's more of course but what's the point?)
Actions= YES biked to an AA meeting (after looking at crt papers)
YES walked to church (after my father suggested it to him)
YES drank beer in front of my daughter when my back was turned
NO did not call his sponsor
NO did not call the church people (they called him).

So I am an idiot. I thought my Al Anon meetings and books were helping me, but I still fell for it.

Even worse, everything, minus the hitting me part, you all have predicted has come true. It was said he will drink our money away---I thought I had control over it I made it so he couldn't destroy us. This morning I found 2 checks missing. (They can't be for large amounts since there isn't much money, but still I didn't think he would go find checks).

Never in a million years would I have thought he would have hit someone and he did.

Never would I think he would drink for 4 or 5 days straight massive amounts of beer and hold up in a house.

I am seeing reality now as much as it hurts me to see it. I don't see a way out of this other than divorce. Can I successfully detach in a situation like this? I don't know.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You CAN successfully detach. Will it be enough?? It wasn't for me.

I had complete control over the finances including his allowance. I had employment, hobbies, control over the animals' care, slept in a separate room, let him come and go and deal with his own consequences, and still it wasn't enough for me.

Despite detaching...despite living for me....despite working a program...I was living with a fast moving current flowing against me. The amount of effort required to maintain an upright existence against this current was undeniably too much.

Life is hard enough to stay on your feet sometimes and damn near impossible with someone dreaming up various ways to push you back down. His life didn't function without me beneath him holding him up and my life could never function unless I stood up and walked away from him.

I thank my HP every day that the latter of that equation won out.

Your head is swimming right now with questions, this is part of the process, work these thoughts through...journal, pray, post...keep going...don't stop...you are getting there day by day...Have faith!

Alice
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will keep journaling. I will keep writing down quotes from One Day At A Time.

Why doesn't he just mind his fing business when he is drunk? Why does he have to call everyone? Why does he have to go to my neighbors' house?

The whole world knows. I didn't tell anyone but my parents. Everyone knows he is an acloholic, but now I get calls (which I'm not returning) about AH. Everyone knows MY business.

Why does he do this? It is so embarassing. That is hard on me.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can barely post once...how I posted the same thing twice, I'll never know.
Sorry.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You might want to ask yourself why you are embarrassed. Why do HIS problems embarrass YOU? For me, it took a wise therapist to help me disentangle myself from his issues. It is not healthy to be so enmeshed in another person, even if you are married to them....

L
Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi,

I understand you pain. My exabf used to call the world when drunk and tell EVERYONE every detail about us and he made up quite a bit too. Don't know why they do it. I had the same experience. I felt humilated, but now with distance I feel less so. He has a problem and YOU cannot control it, NO MATTER WHAT.

What can you do for you today?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whyamistaying View Post
Why doesn't he just mind his fing business when he is drunk? Why does he have to call everyone? Why does he have to go to my neighbors' house?
Because he is drunk and the world revolves around him.

The whole world knows. I didn't tell anyone but my parents. Everyone knows he is an acloholic, but now I get calls (which I'm not returning) about AH. Everyone knows MY business.

I echo LTD's suggestion that looking into yourself may provide you with your answers. You cannot change him but you can indeed change your perceptions, your actions, your behaviors. The first step is understanding yourself.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's an ugly, messy business dealing with alcoholism.

His dirty laundry is being laid to bear, crap is being said about you, he's a drunken fool and drawing all kinds of attention to himself and therefore to you...it's embarrassing at first, but that feeling will pass. Anyone and everyone who has dealt with an active alcoholic or drug addicted loved one has been through this. There are more people than not, I'm sure who can relate to what you're going through. Stop acting like this is all about you. His problems are his problems. You've done what you can for him. You think the spotlight is on you, but it is not. Step out of that spotlight you've been hogging from him and start distancing yourself emotionally from his drama. You are not the one with the problem.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Addict 43 days into "recovery" here. Still sorting out my propensity to lie while using. I think it basically boils down to two things. First, anyone can pull off a deception on anyone else if they really want to. Second, addicts do it because we are self delusional. We really believe the promises to quit and reform our ways when we say them. As best I can figure out don't even listen to the words of your addict for a while. Focus on paying attention to the actions (what he/she actually does). Most take at least several sincere attempts before actually succeeding for any real length of time. Just do you best not to enable.... Say that you don't know whether or not you should believe said addict because of past experiences and that you would like to SEE concrete action. The addicted mind seeks to maintain a very rigid belief system of rationalizations in order to continue using. They need to be broken down by the addict; friends and family can help.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Who did he hit? Was it you? Very worried for you.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

whyamistaying,

he hit someone else? do you realize you may be next?

no one knows his bottom, if he even has one, but what is your bottom?? what has to happen for you to be done?

you read exactly like other posters // i recall an instance where a glass was thrown to the poster's face, and another one where the poster was thrown around down the stairs.

violence always escalates. ALWAYS. please, please find somewhere safe to stay, i am very worried about you.

HUGS
Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I'm going to see if I can get my parents to watch the kids so I can go to a meeting today after work.

I'm embarassed because I have to see my neighbors everyday and it is embarassing to get a call that he was walking around the neighborhood from the store and back with a duffelbag (full of beer) and knocking on their door at 7:30 a.m.

He didn't hit me. He never came home Thurs and that night go into a fight with someone. Honestly, my AH would never had hit anyone before. Never.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Maybe when I get reports about my AH I should just say "oh". I said "sorry" to the neighbor that called me. I have yet to hear from the other neighbor that he went to for 2 hours talking to. (sigh).
Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

whyamistaying, talk to some of these people if you get the chance. You may think the whole world just found out recently, as you did.

It was a rude awakening for me when, in talking and starting to admit that my dad was an alcoholic, that my neighbour already knew. She had always known. She wasn't anywhere near in denial like I was.

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa
You might want to ask yourself why you are embarrassed. Why do HIS problems embarrass YOU?
Is it possible you feel embarrassed because you still believe you should somehow have some control over his behavior?

The three C's are a mixed blessing. Realizing that I could not control his behavior also means that I am not responsible for his behavior. Which means his drunken tomfoolery with the neighbours was his business with them. It didn't have to become mine as well.

You're probably overwhelmed right now, but if you get a chance, talk to some of these people. You may find that they're much happier to see you taking responsibility for your own actions than they are to pin your A's behavior as a reflection of you. You may even find that some were scared to mention something to you before and didn't want to stick their nose where it didn't belong. ((((((((((((((whyamistaying))))))))))))) Keep doing what you're doing, and soon enough his business won't automatically be your business. You deserve to have your own chance to define what whyamistaying's business is all about.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Honestly, my AH would never had hit anyone before. Never.

Well he just did. What are you going to do about it? You are with a batterer and a drinker. I am just stating the facts. What do you expect to happen? What advice would you give a friend or a daughter in this situation?

I hope you can get to the meeting!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mergirl

spreading my wings and striking out on my own was scary, but I have a new wonderful life now, I hope you find your peace and joy soon.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm embarassed because I have to see my neighbors everyday and it is embarassing to get a call that he was walking around the neighborhood from the store and back with a duffelbag (full of beer) and knocking on their door at 7:30 a.m.
Do your neighbors think you put him up to this? Did you send him to the store for beer and then tell him to knock on their door? Were you walking around with him and participating in the behavior?

I'm being ridiculous because I want you to see how HIS behavior belongs to HIM, not YOU. I seriously doubt any of your neighbors blame you for what he does. If anything, they might pity you for living with him.

He didn't hit me. He never came home Thurs and that night go into a fight with someone. Honestly, my AH would never had hit anyone before. Never.
My AH was a sweet, gentle man for most of the 18 years we were married. Near the end, he became angry and abusive. He punched holes in walls, got in fights with other drunks, and once hurt our dog. When those things started happening, I knew it was only a matter of time before his rage was turned on me or the kids. I hope you see that before you or someone else gets hurt. I still feel guilty about the dog......

L
Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If a neighbor's spouse came to my door drunk I would deal with the drunk. I would not think anything negative about the neighbor other than wondering how he/she was doing.

Maybe your neighbors are just waiting for the chance to support YOU.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I tried saying that, and my xabf said I was "obsessed with the past"...tried to make me feel guilty for even bringing it up. Nothing I said was right to him.

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Say that you don't know whether or not you should believe said addict because of past experiences and that you would like to SEE concrete action. The addicted mind seeks to maintain a very rigid belief system of rationalizations in order to continue using. They need to be broken down by the addict; friends and family can help.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
Life is hard enough to stay on your feet sometimes and damn near impossible with someone dreaming up various ways to push you back down.

Also read here - It's hard to swim with a 200 Lb weight tied to you.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I need to learn to detach better. It is Thurs again and AH still not home. I called him and he is drunk...can't even remember what he told me. It is so frustrating.

I suspect he spent his money and can't take the train back and is stuck out there. I will not pick him up.

This morning he called me and said he fell off his bike again and has 2 flat tires. That he wants to drive again and is sick of this. All keys are locked up.

But why do I care? What is new? Nothing. Why isn't this the end? This is getting worse and worse. Every day he has consequences of his drinking. I am not driving him to work, I am not paying back the $100 he borrowed, I am not picking him up tonight...but why isn't this getting better? I am so frustrated.