Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

OT-Name your all-time favorite rock song that makes you boogie till ya barf!

Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got this so-called "inspiration" this afternoon, when a local radio station was blasting some great oldies from the 70's and 80's. Yes, you "young pups" can join in here too ... just remember what your parents listened to.

Those of us who are fossils can clearly remember what songs got us up on the table and howling at the moon!

Once in awhile, we all need to just enjoy being in each other's company on this board. It's the holidays. Let's make it as joyful as possible, regardless of our circumstances!!!

My all-time favorite that gets me howlin' at the moon: "MY SHARONA."

Okay, I stared this, so I'll cheat: also, "IT'S RAININ' MEN." (Hallelujah!!!)
Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

There are so many, even some from the 50's and 40's styles are good.
how about...

"Gimme Some Lovin" by Spencer Davis is classic and reveals my age :-)

edit...

"Dance to The Music" Sly & The Family Stone
Old 11-29-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ago

it's not my "all time favorite" but it's the one stuck in my head right now

Kryptonite by Three Doors Down along with this video using a game called "Kingdom of Hearts"

YouTube - 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite

There is a scene where a some mysterious Boy reaches out to "someone in need" and his hand is HUGE....starts at 2:05

My sister was a heroin Junkie, and she had come over to borrow money, and I took her outside, she was sitting on steps, and I was explaining why I couldn't loan her money, and how I couldn't be around her any more because she was going to die, and I couldn't bear to see that.

As I was talking to her, I held out my hand and said "If you take one step towards me I will come for you, nothing will stop me, I will help you, but until you take that step, I can't be around you"

Two years later I got a phone call from the County Jail, it was a social worker, my sister was in Jail, Detoxing and crying out my name, calling out for me....I came running....we went into the room separated by glass and put our hands out and "touched" she was crying and so was I, all she could say was the whole time when she finally "gave up" and "asked for help" she turned herself into the Police, all she could see was this Giant Hand reaching out with a voice saying "I will come for you, I will come for you"

My sister had been the most beautiful girl anyone had ever seen, and this was in a California Beach Town, she was literally a world class athlete, played in Men's softball leagues, and was an amazing artist, Drugs had taken her until she looked like an extra from a Zombie movie that night in Jail, she was 80 pounds, there were sores you could see her bones through on her face and covering her body.

She got sober, did a "stretch" in a very well regarded rehab, got out and two years later gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.

She was 43.

She has recently relapsed on pills prescribed her by Doctors...I don't know what will happen now.

So, this song means a LOT to me, because I was "Superman" to her, I had been the family "patriarch" for years and "saved" her again and again, but when they leaned on me too hard I ultimately "broke" and literally "went crazy" for awhile, that was the series of events that brought me to SR, the scene that makes me cry is at 2:05 into the video
Old 11-29-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Are you callin' me a fossil???

How about ABBA? "She was a dancing queen..."
Old 11-29-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fuel- Last Time -- I could listen to that forever

but i like oldies also

Buddy Holly- Oh Boy - love it
Elvis- Jailhouse Rock
Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

StillWaters, if you're a fossil, I'm THE original Paleolithic Era brontosaurus!

I LOVE this - keep 'em comin'!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a Bowie, Roxy Music, Zepplin freak. Stuck in a time warp I know. Still play them all the time on my Ipod. I love all of their 70's and 80's stuff. But then on comes the 60's radio at 7 o'clock on a Sunday night and I will get up and dance. The Yard Birds, The Animals, The Who, Steppenwolf, Hendrix, Dylan............I was young and invincible and even though things were bad at home with all of Dad's drinking, there was always the political meetings, the demos, the printing of T-shirts, batik, silk-screening to sell at the flea-market on Saturdays. If it had been a less socially engaging time who knows where I'd be now. The music really reflected that and when I hear it I smile inside. I love watching my nieces and nephews going through their teenage years. Their passion, their optimism, even their self-centred perspectives.

I am so lucky.

It is a beautiful day here. We've had sooooo much rain, 5 inches and the grass and weeds are jumping out of the ground.

Better go and get this garden weeded.

Thanks for the post!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OOO! Aerosmith - Kings and Queens. I loved that tune.

I'm watching The Two Towers, seems so appropriate.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Uriah Heap - The Wizard
Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The folks on this board never fail to impress me. We have some real rock afficienados here. Uriah Heap ... man, gotta get out my vinyls to find my U-H album!

Anyone here like "virgin" Elton John? I'm talkin' back when he was just coming on the music scene. Anybody ever listened to 11-17-70? Just Elton, his backup guys, and a few people in a radio studio in NYC.

Pure fire. Speaking of fire .... I'm thinking of a song by John Mellankamp - "Fire and ???" Now THAT was a great rockin' song.

I would love to put on some of my vinyls, but with the technology of my stereo components, I get a lot of feedback and flutter from the old records.

Sigh. Dinosaurs just like me. Guess I'd better start replacing them CD's.

"Been a long time since I rock n rolled, woman. Been a long time since I did the stroll ....." (Led Zepplin)
Old 11-29-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I'm a child of the 80's, therefore I LOVE all the hair bands. Not really anything you can dance to, but they all sounded and looked (at the time) good.

My two favorites...Def Leppard and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and Poison's "Nothin' but a Good Time."
Old 11-29-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Queen: Night at the Opera

Fleetwood Mac - I broke my foot while housecleaning, dancing around singing along with TUSK at the top of my lungs. (I hit my foot on the edge of the bed)

Jim Croce
John Denver

This thread makes me smile!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Rolling Stones....You Can't always Get What You Want. Somewhere in a time capsule from when I was in high school (to be dug up in 2080 or so) there's my life goal that I will have sex with Mick......I may be one of the few women on the planet that haven't, LOL!

I really like some of the new Brittish Rock my kids are listening to.

Another strange but true fact about me......I've seen Jody Foster's Army, The Dead Kennedy's, Grateful Dead, and Barry Manilow (YIKES) in concert......as well as The Stones, and about a dozen other 70's rockers like Ted Nugent and Ozzie Osbourne. Oh, to return to the days of $12.00 concert tickets!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

blessed ... wow, that brings back memories for me. I was in the eighth row center to see Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young at the then-Capital Center in Largo, MD. I went to my fair share of concerts during my early 20's, although the last time I saw Jimmy Buffett, I was in my early 40's. Once a Parrothead, always a Parrothead ...

Led Zepplin was a remarkable experience, no doubt heightened by chemicals ingested by my gf and I prior to the concert .... Hey, I was a "60's child"!!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzieq1972 View Post
Well I'm a child of the 80's, therefore I LOVE all the hair bands. Not really anything you can dance to, but they all sounded and looked (at the time) good.

My two favorites...Def Leppard and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and Poison's "Nothin' but a Good Time."
Photograph was on the album before that. Rock on!

My 10 and 6 year old laugh at me when I rock out to it.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's hard to narrow it down. I come from a diverse background and like a lot of different stuff --from classics from Zeppelin, Dylan, Neil Young, to early rap like Sugar Hill Gang and Whodini to Tears for Fears, U2, and the Scorpians to Jack Johnson and Jason Mraz (thanks abd.), Brooks and Dunn, and the Black Keys. Lately been into classic rock, but still love it all--

I love music and love dancing and there are just so many choices!!!!

But, this one always makes me laugh and want to get up and dance:
YouTube - Georgia Satellites "Keep Your Hands To Yourself"

And my all-time favorite dance song:
YouTube - Santana - Oye Como Va

Thanks Prodigal
Old 11-29-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Photograph was on the album before that. Rock on!
Rock of Ages!!

YouTube - Def Leppard - Rock Of Ages (1983)
Old 11-30-2008, 12:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
Fleetwood Mac - I broke my foot while housecleaning, dancing around singing along with TUSK at the top of my lungs. (I hit my foot on the edge of the bed)
Wow, that must have been a heck of a dancing routine! I hope you healed well!

Summer of '69! Gosh, what's his name again...?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow, "Rock of Ages" - YEAH. Makes me wanna start doing my ancient version of head-bangers ball. Sorry to hear you were injured Cats - sounds like you were shakin' your bootie so hard you busted it! Breaking your foot is NOT funny, but I guess it brought your song and dance routine to a sudden halt!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was a huge journey fan ,also reo speedwagon!! OMg the nights I listened to stevie nicks leather and lace. Also huge.... crosby stills nash and young de javu...