Notices

Kratom

Old 02-14-2021, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kratom

I quit drinking in June 2018. In recent years. I have used powdered Kratom (a spoonful washed down with some water). I think it helped me early on with alcohol cravings (seems like it anyway!
I still use the occasionally as it gives me a feeling of being relaxed. I have taken several physicals and all of my bloodwork is excellent- my liver count was escalated when I drank but has since been very good.
my question is- does anyone have any experience with this herb/ plant? Does it have a history of causing problems- I’ve been taking it for probably four years off and on and the amount I use has not increased- I don’t have withdrawal symptoms when I don’t take it for a while. Just curious to others experience.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do not know what Kratom is. If your Doc says to use it as part of a healthy nutritional approach, use it. If a Doc says, "I do not know what Kratom is", I guess I'd stay away from it. Congrats on nearly 3 years sober by the way.

If you are using Kratom and it has been nothing but positive, what causes you to inquire on this forum about using it?
Old 02-14-2021, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just because it still feels like a bit of a crutch. I have not spoken to my Dr about it (not something the dr provides). Just wondering if anyone else takes it and their experience with it.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with Kratom. This is a previous thread about Kratom:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ng-kratom.html (Quitting Kratom)
Old 02-14-2021, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I cannot share any personal experience, but I know that it is listed as an "opioid-like" substance and that abuse, addiction and overdose issues have been reported surrounding it.

Using anyting as a "crutch" sounds to me like maybe you haven't fully addressed the real problem with your addiction?
Old 02-14-2021, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm surprised if you've not heard negative things about it.
I would not use it.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...not-alone.html (Kratom Addiction - You're Not Alone)
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...n-no-joke.html (Kratom Addiction is no Joke)
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-who-care.html (Kratom is the devil!!! Just an update for any who care..)
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...atom-free.html (Picking up company on my journey - This destination is kratom free)

D
Old 02-14-2021, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not a good thing to be using consistently. After time will cause withdrawal symptoms same as opiates. Im saying this with experience. I'm not talking the over the counter pill form. I mean straining the root in a bucket with an cloth and drinking mud water lol. Add brown sugar. I used it as a crutch when I couldn't get pills . For me it was just a chase for what I really wanted opiates. Again I wouldn't recommend it plus that hangovers that it causes. Kava Kava , Awa kratom same stuff.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great information. Thanks all!
Old 02-15-2021, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

https://www.verywellmind.com/kratom-withdrawal-4586322

I got spooked at "withdrawal from kratom isn’t always easy."
Old 02-15-2021, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Indeed! I do it average every other day. I travel a fair amount and don’t bring it with me and have not felt cravings/ WDs although I am typically very busy without a lot of down time when on the road.
I battled alcoholism for a long time- got sober 10 years ago for about a year- then back on for nearly 10 more before quitting for good (I’m a couple of weeks away from 1000 days according to my tracker)
probably need to toss the Kratom aside as my experience with alcohol is one where I gravitate towards abuse.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad that Dee posted those older threads. Kratom is known to affect the body similarly to opioids, no surprise it can cause similar dependency and withdrawal. Unfortunate it's still not marketed with that information. I would avoid further exposure to it like the plague.

I had (and occasionally still have) very intense alcohol cravings after getting sober, so I completely understand the desire to look for things to alleviate those urges. But there are safer ways to deal with them, even medical prescriptions you could potentially try.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've taken and continue to use Kratom. It was not part of my early sobriety but I found it and have enjoyed using it somewhat regularly over the past year or so. It does not interfere with any of my routines, obligations and has not effected my health in any negative way. It definitely has addictive qualities as I get restless legs at night when I stop for periods at a time. If anything it puts me in a good mood and gives me energy. I can see someone abusing it, although it doesn't sound like that's the case for you. My 2 cents is all this is however.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Samantha

I've heard horrible things about Kratom but to each their own I guess. Treating one addiction with another.
I have heard about people treating addiction with mushrooms which I think is nonsense but who am I to judge.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think self-medicating for addiction is probably generally best avoided. This I can say from personal experience. Though I've not used kratom - I've avoided it precisely because of things I've read and heard from others that convinced me it would be an awful choice for me, personally.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
IIt definitely has addictive qualities as I get restless legs at night when I stop for periods at a time. If anything it puts me in a good mood and gives me energy.
So, there are withdrawal symptoms when you stop using it, and it's mood-altering. To me, those sound like red flags.

I;ve heard very negative things about kratom, too..

Old 02-16-2021, 12:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've read negative reports from people who used it for benzodiazapine withdrawal. Addiction, withdrawal capacity.

I wouldnt use it.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have not heard of it but as an alcoholic and addict in recovery I would run a mile from it personally.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Once an addict always an addict. I found myself looking it up and wondering if I could buy it.

Happy to say it is banned in the UK.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wonder if it's in the same class of drug as Kryptonite?

Superman's downfall. We don't stand a chance.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Once an addict always an addict. I found myself looking it up and wondering if I could buy it.

Happy to say it is banned in the UK.
Thanks for reminding me to look up the legality Kaily.
When I was first a mod Kratom was not legal in very many places.

Its legal in even less places now - most countries have banned it, and those who have not are considering it so I think we'll end the discussion there on that note.

Dee
Administrator
SR