Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomer's Daily Support Threads
Reload this Page >

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Notices

Old 04-24-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

last part

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ty-thread.html (All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread)
Old 04-24-2020, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Hey a brand new thread to post on!
I'm still battling back pain and also felt kind of unwell all day so didn't get much done.
Good to put a fork in this day and hit the reset button on life with a night of sleep.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Re: All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Thanks Dee. Well done on the work kk!
Sending positive vibes your way bekindalways. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seems like a perfect time to post in my new thread Have others warm it up first heh.
Today ended up being productive. I had to deal with the journal manuscript revisions in the morning, which took longer than I expected. I started at around 9 and when I was done it was already 15 min past noon. Then I had to start on the translation. Managed to work through about 8 pages again, so I'm on track.
Now I need to rest and do something else. There's this action movie called Extraction that I've heard good things about (regarding the action at least). Might look into that.
Hope everyone had a good day and hope your back eases up soon, Bekind
End of Day 348. I did not drink today.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope your back improves soon, Bekind 😀.
Hi Saou, I hope you're surviving lockdown in the UK!
Kk, I'm so pleased to see your new thread, and how amazing are you for 348 days.....building up to one whole year!
Thank you for Kk's new thread Dee, and for being here, supporting us all.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Tatsy
I managed to do another 8 pages of translating today, keeping a steady pace. Got to start a bit earlier today, so finished a bit earlier, too. Then made schnitzels, and had some salad and fries with those, and one of my lemon slice + sparkling mineral water + cranberry juice drinks. Very satisfied with that combination.
Just now I sent my professor some documents I wanted to prep today, so that's done, too I will grade some student submissions and then I'm SO READY for a film.
Tonight's film is Bad Education with H. Jackman. I'm sure it'll be brilliant.
Hope everyone had a calm weekend.
End of Day 349. I did not drink today.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kk, when you said you made schnitzels, did you make them from scratch, base ingredients? If so, I'd love to read your recipe, plus temperature and timings, because coincidentally, I was looking for a schnitzel recipe earlier, after baking bread for a while ....a bit leaden!
Old 04-26-2020, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh dear - I wrote you a long reply on my phone, Tatsy, but then the site threw a fit and it was deleted. Here's the rundown.
I make schnitzels from scratch yep I buy large pieces of lean pork (they package them here in like 1kg or 2,2 lbs cuts). Pork chops work well since you're in butcher's territory. With chops, it's easier to remove most of the outer fat (if you don't like it, my UK friend didn't so that time we cut that off but I personally don't mind it - fat is where the taste is usually :P) and defo the hard skin - the skin gets in the way of pounding them out properly.
I already slice the cuts I buy into approximately 1/5 inch slices (somewhere between 0,5 cm and 1 cm - 1 cm is already a task when pounding them out).
Then you pound them out. Once they're thinner, I put salt and pepper on one side but be conservative because the slices are really thin and it's really easy to oversalt them (experience is a good teacher for me ). On the other side, if anything, I put whatever is available. For example, today I used the last of my piri piri stash on it.
Whip up an egg in a wider bowl. Tiny bit of salt in the egg.
Then you put breadcrumbs on a bigger plate and I always season the breadcrumbs as well - that's my secret :P. Herb mixes are a good choice, or smoked paprika for example. Try avoiding mixes with salt, because it's easy to over-do it due to the thinness of the pounded out slices.
Then you just take each piece, one at a time --> into the egg, make sure it's all covered, shake off the extra, then into the seasoned breadcrumbs, make sure it's all covered and again shake off the extra. I usually put the 'ready to fry' versions on a separate plate.
Heat up the pan and put a decent amount of oil in it, because the crumbs really suck it up and you don't want to end up burning them. My cooker has settings from 1 to 9 and fry schnitzels on 7. It takes some minutes on both sides (this really depends on how thin were your final slices). When they're golden brown (I like mine more brown than gold), I take them out to rest. It's important to bear in mind that the meat itself is so thin that it takes no time to cook. The breading slows it down a bit, but for the most part with these schnitzels, you're making the decision based on how they look in the pan in terms of colour. With slices that (eventually, after pounding but then adding breading) are like 1/10 inch thick or something like that, it's pretty much impossible to undercook them but if you turn the heat up too high, it's easy to burn the breading. Hence the medium-medium/high frying temp. If you're doing a bigger batch, makes sure there's always a sufficient amount of oil in the pan. It really does 'vanish' with these schnitzels.
Repeat the process until you run out of meat Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That recipe for schnitzel makes me hungry and I already had dinner. I made salmon cakes for my Dad tonight. He liked them but I thought they just tasted like tuna fish.
My back was bad this morning but got better towards the afternoon. Consequently I perked up and started getting somethings done in the pm: planted more seeds to sprout, sewed, mopped bathroom and kitchen, cleaned out the silverware drawer . . . . it felt good to feel better.
The news and facebook has too many stories of folks behaving badly. Boy oh boy does humanity love to hate. This is what first brought me to SR. It was a time of lots of bad news and I wanted to get a dose of folks putting in the work to make good news happen. Alcoholics are that to me. Sobriety and recovery are so much the opposite of the blame complain that comes naturally to humans.
I'm grateful to you K and Dee and all of you who just string days together of sobriety and anything else you can do to make life and the world a bit better.
Have a lovely Monday all.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Bekind I'm glad your back eased up.
My day was quite rough. For no apparent reason, I had a headache since morning. I slept alright, although I felt like I could have gone for more, but then at around 10 am the ache hit. Then I felt quite useless, considered postponing work and trying to sleep it off.Ended up lounging for an hour or so and then decided that I'll at least try and get some work done. 7 hours later I'm done with today's portion of the translation Somehow, I just managed to stick with and I'm glad I did. Tomorrow will be the last day of this particular translation, and I'm really grateful that it doesn't have to be a mammoth day (which would've been the case if I didn't get enough done tonight).
Now I found a new documentary series called 'The Last Dance' - which is actually about the 1990s Chicago Bulls. Really happy to have found this, because right now it's real viewing treat. A proper conclusion to my day.
During the day, however, I found myself reflecting on some alcoholism matters. I browse on SR when I take short breaks, and nowadays, when I read about someone's early struggles, I can relate but I also feel that drinking has become 'a thing of the past'. I'm not sure if this is merely related to the fact that there's now more than 300 days between this moment and my last drink of alcohol, or it's a combination of that and other things I've learned, considered and reflected on in my early sobriety.
I haven't done many reflection posts recently, but this one made me think. There was also a post in which the poster mentioned that 'there are now people who only know me sober'. This phrase resonated with me, because those people now exist for me as well. Especially on the research side of things. It's still weird for me to think that there really are people who haven't been on the receiving end of my drunken antics or its aftermath, i.e. missed deadlines, poorly completed or half-finished tasks, cancelling or post-poning meetings or just not showing up without any provided reason or explanation. That's crazy, but it was true for such a long time...
However, even though I can still very much relate to people on their first days and weeks, because I remember what it was like - these memories have faded in the sense that they've lost their potency to impact me negatively. They remain cringeworthy, of course, but it's almost as if they are related to a person who isn't me. Is that weird? Did you guys feel something similar?
Maybe then, while the difference is impacted by the amount of time between now and my last drink, it also is impacted by the objectively observable external difference between 'me' and 'me back then'. I don't know, it just sort of hit me whilst reading others' posts and stuck with me throughout the day.
But now my alarm went off, because the pizza is coming out of the oven. Going to check out that documentary after.
Hope everyone had a good first day of the week
End of Day 350. I did not drink today.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

K, watching documentaries you must know so much about random subjects. That someone in Europe is watching a documentary on the Chicago Bulls makes me chuckle. I'm a bit of a zero on basketball even though I'm in the US.
I had a better day. Back is better. Did a bit of exercise.
Onward to whatever comes next.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hey! Where did my last post go? Oh well...
I'm glad your back is better Bekind.
Rather like you kk there are a lot of people, especially where I work that only know me as sober. I intend keeping it that way. It does feel like a different person. I really don't want to forget how bad things were which is why I still post in the Newcomers section even after 5 plus years. It keeps me grounded.
I'm afraid I'm an absolute duffer when it comes to baseball. Weird bit of trivia - baseball was really quite big in England until the 1930s when it died out for some reason.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
saoutchik

This is crazy! I just lost half of my last post!!!! Plus the spacing have gone on what was left of it
Old 04-28-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Entertainment is something that the US excels at, plus I think big league sports gel well with capitalism :P
I don't know anything about baseball either. How about basketball, sao?
I have to call today early. Tired from the translation and just had dinner. Time to retreat to mine personal quarters.
End of Day 351. I did not drink today.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My problem is being so used to using the quick reply box under the thread :P I'm slowly coming around to using 'post reply'.I lost my schnitzel recipe because of that - it said post too short. I was like 'if that's short...' haha
Old 04-28-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Testing how this works. I understand the tech elves have been doing their thing.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Everyone else is finishing up Tuesday and I'm just starting . . . .well still in the am.
Off to open some mail, look at an overskirt pattern, and try putting liner into sleeve.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Grocery day today. We can go about two weeks. This time I lowered the credit card and list off the balcony to our shopper. There was a great feeling of tree house living.
With the groceries coming in, I try to strike a balance between OCD washing and sterilizing every thing and being completely careless. To achieve this balance, I do a bad job of washing the incoming groceries . . . .I hope I live long enough to find out what worked and what didn't work for this pandemic. I am curious.
So the afternoon bad mood has hit. I didn't drink nor sneeze on anyone so I guess I can call it a relatively productive day.
Tomorrow's big excitement: Trash day!
Old 04-29-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That sounds tough going Bekind, I hope you get a chance to get out sometimes.
Sorry about your schnitzel recipe kk. I hope the actual schnitzel itself tasted good.
I have a very minor eye infection and am limiting screen time a little bit.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling better Bekind, and I hope your eye clears up soon Sao.
I've had an interestingly productive day today. I woke up really-really early for no apparent reason. Somehow I had the presence of mind (and, let's be honest, the motivation was more surprising) to continue writing my as-of-yet incomplete manuscript/coursework, which I have to submit in a bit more than two weeks time. I managed to add a decent chunk, which I'm quite glad about
I also got more work in the evening. It ended up being one of those expedited translations that pays at a slightly higher rate. Been working on that and spending my evening, and managed to get about 4.5 pages, which is more than half of it, done already tonight! This leaves another 3 for tomorrow and the deadline is an hour before close of business, so there's ample time
Earlier today, I also learned that one of my articles (the first one I published last July) received its first citation today. For me personally, this is a very cool event, for which I give full credit to sobriety. I am immensely thankful for my sobriety, because every now and again, something that I could have only done whilst sober, brings me joy and keeps me going on the right track And since everyone in this and the previous threads has paid a huge role in my sobriety, I owe you a big-big thank you!
I hope everyone had a good day, or at least is having one that improves as it unfolds
End of Day 352. I did not drink today.