Old 04-26-2020, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kk1k5x

Re: All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Oh dear - I wrote you a long reply on my phone, Tatsy, but then the site threw a fit and it was deleted. Here's the rundown.
I make schnitzels from scratch yep I buy large pieces of lean pork (they package them here in like 1kg or 2,2 lbs cuts). Pork chops work well since you're in butcher's territory. With chops, it's easier to remove most of the outer fat (if you don't like it, my UK friend didn't so that time we cut that off but I personally don't mind it - fat is where the taste is usually :P) and defo the hard skin - the skin gets in the way of pounding them out properly.
I already slice the cuts I buy into approximately 1/5 inch slices (somewhere between 0,5 cm and 1 cm - 1 cm is already a task when pounding them out).
Then you pound them out. Once they're thinner, I put salt and pepper on one side but be conservative because the slices are really thin and it's really easy to oversalt them (experience is a good teacher for me ). On the other side, if anything, I put whatever is available. For example, today I used the last of my piri piri stash on it.
Whip up an egg in a wider bowl. Tiny bit of salt in the egg.
Then you put breadcrumbs on a bigger plate and I always season the breadcrumbs as well - that's my secret :P. Herb mixes are a good choice, or smoked paprika for example. Try avoiding mixes with salt, because it's easy to over-do it due to the thinness of the pounded out slices.
Then you just take each piece, one at a time --> into the egg, make sure it's all covered, shake off the extra, then into the seasoned breadcrumbs, make sure it's all covered and again shake off the extra. I usually put the 'ready to fry' versions on a separate plate.
Heat up the pan and put a decent amount of oil in it, because the crumbs really suck it up and you don't want to end up burning them. My cooker has settings from 1 to 9 and fry schnitzels on 7. It takes some minutes on both sides (this really depends on how thin were your final slices). When they're golden brown (I like mine more brown than gold), I take them out to rest. It's important to bear in mind that the meat itself is so thin that it takes no time to cook. The breading slows it down a bit, but for the most part with these schnitzels, you're making the decision based on how they look in the pan in terms of colour. With slices that (eventually, after pounding but then adding breading) are like 1/10 inch thick or something like that, it's pretty much impossible to undercook them but if you turn the heat up too high, it's easy to burn the breading. Hence the medium-medium/high frying temp. If you're doing a bigger batch, makes sure there's always a sufficient amount of oil in the pan. It really does 'vanish' with these schnitzels.
Repeat the process until you run out of meat Hope this helps.