Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomer's Daily Support Threads
Reload this Page >

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Notices

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Old 05-12-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

There may be people out there who's lives are not stressful at all ever kk1k but I've yet to meet one.
I think you're geared to productivity and you drive yourself hard. Stress is useful to you in that way.
As long as that doesn't tip into the negative and require you to numb yourself out with alcohol anymore, its as good a motivation as any.I think?
balance is good
D
Old 05-12-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

What Dee said!

Well I reckon it's midnight where you are kk so huge congratulations are in order, well done - a fantastic achievement!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200512_221021-491x311.jpg (97.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-12-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thanks sao!
Dee, I think you make an excellent point. The (partial) solution has been to decrease the distance I seek to cover with each subsequent step. When I drank, it numbed out, among other things, all common sense and, in a very delusional way, made it seem as if I was working towards some big goals (e.g. blasted drunk and in a PhD programme, hence 'working towards earning a degree'). In sobriety, I recognised it's difficult for me to quiet the drive - call it ambition, restlessness, or a distinct dislike for plateaus - but have tried to exercise the drive on increasingly smaller steps. Guess I understood that for me, when I learn how to write one character, the next step always has to be a second character, not a novel. That's my chance at balance. Balance, and what that could/might look like for me, is the next larger item on my 'to-figure-out list'.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Interesting stuff K. Thanks for your in depth response.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Got my book in the mail today (well, one of those postal 'cupboards' that they have outside the supermarkets). From the store, I got, 4.5 lbs of frozen spring rolls (LOL), a cake, 4 boxes of cookies, 2 large Twix bars and a pound of chocolate ice cream. Oh, and a can of red beans for actual dinner. I had 4 cookies and was full. The rest of it is fodder for the writing marathon this weekend, which I'm dreading a bit. Not that it matters, though, because it needs to get done if I don't want to be late on my course work.
Today was just translating and a mid-day headache. How like life. Managed 9 pages, which is good in and of itself, and puts me a full day ahead of schedule at this point. But I'm also quite tired now and will probably just lounge until sleep comes. Maybe watch some news shows or documentaries on TV.
I think being productive in a very normal way is a fitting celebration for my first year of sobriety. Oh, being productive and 4 cookies :P
End of Day 366. I did not drink today.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kk1k5x View Post
I think being productive in a very normal way is a fitting celebration for my first year of sobriety. Oh, being productive and 4 cookies :P
End of Day 366. I did not drink today.
Great thought and congrats on day 366 as well as having a normal productive day. This is pretty much the exact opposite of how an alcoholic would celebrate a milestone.

I got to do some vigilante gardening today: first in my neighbor's garden and then over at my nephew's grandmother's garden. I'm not giving my seedling much hope that they will make it but I still enjoyed planting them. Also I got to see my teenage nephews which was wonderful. They talked with me and rough housed on the lawn as I gardened. It was a day of rare pleasure and adventure . . . . . relatively speaking.

Onward into whatever comes next . . .
Old 05-14-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

It's been a quiet day today. The work was slow going in the morning, because I slept a bit longer than usual.
Still got that darn headache again, driving me nuts. Third day - good in the morning, gets worse throughout the day. Maybe tomorrow will be the lucky day without it.

I finished the second translation, and now have 3 pages to go before I need to start with my coursework. Still being ahead of schedule is small blessing at this time, i.e. the 3 pages are for Monday but it makes more sense to try and get it done by noon tomorrow, and then have the rest of the weekend for coursework.

I'll battle this headache and try to get one page translated before I go to bed.
Hope everyone had a good day.
End of Day 367. I did not drink today.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Decent day for me: same sewing, finances and caring for old Dad as always.

Dad's facility keeps trying to do things to keep spirits up. They have started a virtual cocktail hour on Thursday evenings. The makings for a margarita was left at our door. I made it up for my Dad with salt and everything. I made one for myself with just lemon and gatorade . . . . it was actually kind of good.

I'm starting to think this may well continue through the summer. A vaccine is a ways out and Dad is not going to become any less vulnerable to Covid-19.

May Friday be good for you all. K I hope that headache clears up. Are you still having those wierd sleeping spells . . . . hmmm . . . . I can't remember if that was exactly it.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:02 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on your respective labours kk, Bekind. I have been going in to work since Wednesday. Thank goodness there is enough room to not have to wear a mask all day. I don't know how medical and care home people do it.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Ugh. I hate wearing a mask but I am religious about doing so when I leave the apartment.

I had a lovely dream last night about trekking in Alaska. (the wildest and most mountainous state in the USA) I"m not normally an outdoor adventure type but I really enjoyed getting out in gorgeous scenery albeit in my subconcious.

Exercise has fallen off in the last few days so hoping to do that today along with scanning some pages of a tax organizer and sewing a sleeve into the bodice.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:03 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Just stay safe, Sao - that's the most important thing. Granted, it is good to hear things are slowly opening up, but I'm still a bit iffy about that. I guess I just wish they had better therapeutics available for dealing with the thing before opening up everything up again?
Bekind - hey, at least it was a good dream. I'm not an outdoorsy person at all, though I really like nature. Yet, I've always dreamed of one day visiting and staying at some place in Alaska. Just to take it all in for a while

My day was kind of weird, but at least the headache wasn't much of an issue today. I woke up at around 4 am (!) and saw that my professor, who's still in the US for a couple more days, had emailed me. So, I replied. It's like running joke that I 'seem to never sleep'. After that I figured what the heck and started on finishing the last translation I needed for this week. Submitted that and everything was okay. The invoice I got to submit (because Friday) was pretty decent actually, all things considered.

Then, of course, I went back to sleep and finally seemed to get enough sleep. I woke up ready to get to work on the manuscript. As always, the initial punch of motivation quite quickly subsides. Even so, I managed to get an okay chunk of it done today. In a way I keep forgetting that I'm currently writing 'homework' not yet a to-be-submitted journal manuscirpt. You could argue that each piece of work ought to be done well, and I'd agree, but something that might slightly miss the mark with an academic journal can still be a decent piece of homework. Or at least I think so. No one ever required this coursework to be of journal-quality, it's just that I guess I have a knack for running myself into the ground lol.

Just had a cup of tea with fresh lemon and honey. Now I'm totally ready for bed. Found a documentary with Damian Lewis called 'Spy Wars'. Probably put that on as a background for a while and nod off.

Hope everyone's at least mostly satisfied with how their day turned out or is turning out

PS: Bekind, the sleeping spells are still somewhat weird, ofc, but they've been getting the job done thus far. Once Sunday comes and passes, and I submit my work, things will calm down to an extent (at least for a time).

End of Day 368. I did not drink today.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Kk, at least your wierd sleeping schedule puts you in sync with the US, not that the US is the best country to sync with.

So far today, I've managed to make granola and do an additional 20 min of yoga to my regular exercise with my Dad. Also took a dab at finances.

Life in lock down continues. I read an article by a Flemish md who got the covid. He mentioned how impressed he was with Nelson Mandela who was imprisoned for 27 years. I know my introvert, homebody psyche makes the situation easier for me. Most of my struggle is with my regular good buddy, chronic depression.

Well I am off to swill out the bathrooms, look into finishing skirt plackets and check out Dad's bank statements . . . .

Peace on all!
Old 05-16-2020, 12:45 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I'm still trying to keep it in my own time-zone, though :P
Glad to hear you're keeping up with keeping up, Bekind. What you said about lockdown resonated with me. We have not been on lockdown per se, as I've described, but have fortunate not to really experience any real negative effects. I know people are different and many rely more on external connections, but the 'worst' experience for me thus far has been walking up the stairs with a mask on (and panting, and not getting enough air). I'm not saying this to somehow spite those who are feeling the effects more severely, but I also cannot really sincerely empathise with them :/ I have so much to do in my home - read, watch shows, cook, look out the window (lol), listen to birds, work, write, play computer games if necessary and so on. With respect to the current situation, I'm just fortunate to be this way (under different circumstances I'd guess people would just call me a hermit or something).

Today was kind of cool, actually. I finished the manuscript!! Truth be told, I'm still in some sort of disbelief that I did - I was absolutely convinced that I'll still be toiling away at it 24 hours from now (i.e. the deadline - it's 10.30pm here, and the deadline was 23.59 tomorrrow). Usually things like this come down to the wire, either because I was too lazy early on and discounted how long writing actually takes, or there's some legitimate issue in the process, I get stuck, frustrated and time just flies by but the work progress is near-zero for hours. This time was different, and I'm really glad that it ended up being this way
Yesterday evening I went to bed slightly worried. Not completely stressed out, but somewhat worried and anxious about today and how the work is going to go. This morning, while having my coffee, I lucked into an idea. And I mean totally lucked into it haha - my issue was covering more ground in the article on a specific topic that would have required fairly extensive explanations. But the light-bulb went "make a table" haha. I did, and after that stuff started making sense. I got the material ordered, logged it in the table, and then it was a lot easier to write it out long-form because I had already analysed it once when making the table. Most of my evening went into formatting the entire thing rather than actual writing. After it was done and I'd submitted the coursework I was still in disbelief tomorrow's going to be a DAY OFF! I thank my lucky stars for sending me this simple but apparently effective (in the sense of a thinking tool) idea of 'making a table'. The work's not perfect, of course, but it doesnt' have to be ....it's done. And I get to do free-time stuff tomorrow yay!

I've decided I am going to celebrate with a slightly more 'special' meal tomorrow. Probably something of the grilled pork chops and potato salad variety. Mmm, can't wait.

I hope everyone lucked into something today and it made things a bit easier

End of Day 369. I did not drink today.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:40 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Congrats on the table idea. What a great stroke of an idea. I'm wondering if you could use that again sometime.

I'm having a bit of a shift in thinking today about the pandemic. I have been thinking for the last couple months that this isn't a problem to stay with my Dad for a few months. I can do this easily. Today it is dawning on me that in even a few more months, it still won't be safe for him to go out nor will he be able to live alone. Community living will continue to be dangerous unless it follows an almost cruel regime of isolation for the elderly residents. My Dad and I could be here for a year, living together in isolation.

I talked to my brother about this and the possibility of expanding our bubble to include his family. If I can spend some time with my nephews, I will be a lot happier . . . . .sigh . . . .I'm getting a bit of a longer view of the situation and it is going to take some mental adjusting. Like you Kk, I have plenty of work . . . well, stuff to do as it isn't exactly work . . . . more projects, housekeeping and finances. I know it is still easier for me than many; however, I just hadn't really grasped that this will probably be a year

Hmm . . . . y'all probably haven't heard the last of this. More certainly will be revealed.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on completing your manuscript kk and on thinking up the table idea. Enjoy your day off today.

Your right about this pandemic lasting for several more semore if not years rather than a few more months Bekind. I have to say there are some aspects of the lockdown I am really enjoying - less motor vehicles checking the air for one thing. It is being lifted way too early here in my opinion.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Today's been quiet. Just as I planned more or less. Still woke up really early, and it was amusing because I didn't know what to do with myself. Curiously, one of the thoughts that popped into my mind was 'perhaps I should just translate for a bit', because I will be translating tomorrow anyways. It's comical part of it is ...waking up really early on a day off, and then figuring you'd work just to kill some time before the day off begins in earnest I didn't do that, of course, but it wasn't too far in the back of my mind either.

Anyways, the day's been mostly about watching TV, and sleeping, and three good meals at decent times (talking regular breakfast, lunch, dinner). I did get my pork chops and potato salad! And some soup and sandwiches for lunch. And spring rolls for breakfast (lol).

All the regular stuff aside, I think there was a moment of mini-epiphany today as well. The first half of the day - and it was gray and rainy throughout (think we even got hail for a minute or two, and it's still tap-tap-tap on my window pane) - I was super satisfied with doing just about nothing. I really liked the Spy Wars documentary mini-series with Damian Lewis, because the stories were absolutely crazy. About intelligence, counter-intelligence, industrial spying, terrorism - it had all of it. Yet, at some point, probably in the afternoon I realised that 'this is how my day's going to go'. It wasn't necessarily in a bad way, but a revealing one. I do look forward to so-called empty me-time, because it allows me to put distance between my work and my person, but then again, once the idle time has thoroughly served its purpose, I'm turning to any activity (e.g. a hobby) to diversify and/or enrich my regular experience. Think I was just asking myself the question of whether that needs to change/improve and, if yes, in what way. I get most of my creativity kick from the early portions of research work, i.e. figuring out the problem, jotting down questions to ask, figuring out a way to operationalise the idea through data collection and so on. And only then does it move to the work part of it all. Translations could be said to involve a creative element, but I'd mostly refer to it as exercising one's capacity for problem-solving.

Which led me to conclude, for the most part, that I need something for those idle moments when I'm done resting. As these moments haven't been to frequent, and often pop up out of nowhere (or at least with little forewarning), it needs to be something I can just pick up. 'Something I can just pick up' to me reads ...like a book. There are other things I'm considering in the corners of my mind, but I think I'll try to establish some sort of 'non-academic' reading routine. Figured I'd start with 10 pages of a book every day. Sounds weird, I'm sure, because why would a person have to 'mete out' idle time activities with such precision, but that's easy - I don't have a regular reading routine, and goals without a plan are just dreams

Dee - I think you mentioned you set aside specific 'you time'. What do you fill that time with? Or rather, did you just continue with old hobbies/likes, or did you add stuff along the way and, if yes, how'd you end up with those exact things? Not even trying to mimic someone else's approach step-by-step, just simply wondering in writing format. I used to play guitar (but I'm 'not feeling that' too much), and I actually have a digital piano in my room, which I've played twice probably, and it's been here for 4 years now.... I have options on that side of things, but somehow I'm not feeling it. Difficult to explain. Maybe it's the 'less than perfect' fear I get with stuff and have described previously. I.e. if I don't have a very specific learning routine and practice plan for the instrument, then I just 'keep away' from it altogether. It's one of my many faults, I know.

Real balance to my type(s) of work tasks still would have to come from physical activities, but those are (for now) still in a kind of planning phase. I guess. All in all I'm still really glad I had today off and could recuperate. I didn't realise until half a day in how much I needed that. Tomorrow it's first back to translating, and then on to data analysis

End of Day 370. I did not drink today.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I really need to read my posts prior hitting send to make sure predictive text has not decided it knows better than I do
Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I really need to read my posts prior hitting send to make sure predictive text has not decided it knows better than I do
Good to know :P
Old 05-18-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good pm to all from the US of A.

Kk, I have a tough time finding leisure activities that aren't escapism. It is a bit weird as my parents were complete hedonistic outdoor enthusiasts. However for all of us, outside activities are pretty limited. Ugh.

I'm still doing my one day at a time thing while readjusting my sites to how long this pandemic is going to go - ugh.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:51 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Our emergency situation was officially concluded tonight. Restrictions are eased on a rolling basis, but the emergency rules have now been lifted.
I might finally be able to get a haircut now, after what ...more than 2 months I think?

Today was kinda lazy actually. I was up early in the morning, lounged around some, and then did a bit of translating but never really got into it. Then I felt 'tired' again, but I didn't just nap and get going, just continued to lounge around. I just finished the translation just now and submitted it. Also managed to get a hold of my prof, and I think we got on the same page about the short abstract we're supposed to submit in a few days. The prof mentioned they're still not sure if their flight from the US is departing tomorrow or not - that must be an absolutely insane amount of pressure. I sincerely hope everything's going to go alright.

Tomorrow will be data analysis again, never got to that today. Glad though that the translation got finished and there was movement on the writing project front. I actually have another deadline on 25 May and then an optional 1 June deadline haha. The last one is for the barebones manuscript I put together in 2-3 days some weeks ago. The prof gave her feedback recently, so I'm going to put in the effort to make necessary changes because the prof figured I should still send it in and see what happens.

Now I'm going to read my 10 pages and then nod off to the sound of Spy Wars. I somehow missed that there are 2 more episodes to it (yay!).

Hope everyone is managing to keep their spirits up

End of Day 371. I did not drink today.