Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What are some of the more illogical things you did while drinking...

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I guess I am about a week or so sober. I haven't been counting, I think it makes it easier for me. But now that I slowly sober up I am thinking about all of the things that I have done that haven't "ruined" my life but had me on the slow track when I was always on the fastest track.

The most recent that comes to mind is that I was going out to get a pack of cigs (i only smoke sometimes and usually if I am completely binging) I was followed by some police and then pulled over for something that they said happened when I pulled out of the gas station. I had a bottle of liquor sitting right next to me (a mini) and they said they were going to try not to take me to jail. I lived the next complex down. And true to what they said they didn't take me to jail (Thankfully they weren't in the mood) but they gave me 3 super expensive tickets and therefore points on my license.

Did this stop me? That is the real illogical part.

I feel such a relieve when I see the police now.

Of course there is more...

But thinking about these past incidents makes me sad because I have wasted SO much time. There is a chance is too late for me to have a child since I could never keep a relationship long enough to have one. But just that I feel better and look better. I want to change and continue to feel this way and just do the best I can with the time I have.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I got to the point in my drinking that there was nothing at all logic about my life. Nothing. I suppose I could push back and remember but it is so painful- I got way past the point of being just embarrassing or dumb- that I avoid doing so unless I have a story that I share that might help someone else.
Good call on quitting. Congratulations on one week, that is a huge accomplishment.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The most illogical I would say was never having money but always finding some to buy alcohol. How sad
Old 03-16-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My whole life became one illogical mess but there is one thing that beats all of my other crazy behaviour and I wish I could turn back time on. That is driving completely sober with my daughter around 25 miles at 8am on a Saturday morning to get her to her swimming lesson but stopping for a bottle of vodka on the way to drink later that night (well actually I would have started it as soon as I got home to my husband). Around 2 miles from home my tyre blew so I pulled over on the side of the motorway, called for vehicle recovery and called my husband to collect our daughter to get her to safety off the motorway. Once he'd taken her I then decided it was a good idea to have a small bit of that vodka while I waited for recovery, that turned into a lot. Fast forward to the police pulling over to check I was okay about an hour later and I was WASTED. 12 hours in the police cells followed and I was given a custodial prison sentence, suspended luckily. It was also all over the newspapers so my reputation is destroyed (headlines indicate I drove with my daughter like that which is not true but paints a more sensational picture). Anyway this was my rock bottom and I went straight into recovery, throwing everything at it. I started a new job and all was going great, then someone from the new company Googled me and saw the news reports - at which point I was let go. So now I'm unemployed again and every day wish I'd just not opened that vodka, but what's done is done and I can't dwell on it too much - my focus has to be staying sober and being thankful my friends and family have stood by me.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I don't know if this is illogical, but if I would see visitors pull up or walk toward my house, I would rush to hide my drink and grab a bottle of water under the pretense that I had been drinking that all along.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Drinking again.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being at a party/bar closely watching people and picking the ones I thought were alcoholics. Pot calling kettle black.

Being on a train and having to hover between moving cars at 60mph so I could throw up onto the tracks. Then having another beer after getting home.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

PP - there are so many things but isn't the most illogical of all, regardless of whether we hid bottles in the medicine cabinet from our family, were too hungover to go to work/class/life, or killed someone drunk driving - isn't the worst of it all that we kept drinking?

For me it's easy, unromantic and makes me not want to read a single "war story" response to this thread - I kept drinking.

No one is coming to save me.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The entire premise of alcoholism is illogical to be honest.

We all knew that drinking was bad for us in all different kinds of ways, but we kept doing it regardless. My life literally revolved around consuming a substance that was a poison to my body, mind and everything I touched.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Taking a full day off of work because I wanted to drink instead. I’d buy a 15 pack case of beer and spend the whole day drinking while driving around. I had 8-12 hours to do this so by the time the wife got home she figured I’d only had a couple while making dinner. That’s pretty much the worst I got.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
The entire premise of alcoholism is illogical to be honest.

We all knew that drinking was bad for us in all different kinds of ways, but we kept doing it regardless. My life literally revolved around consuming a substance that was a poison to my body, mind and everything I touched.
This
Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've done many wierd/illogical things while bingeing, that I now regret doing. But as others here stated, I don't dwell on it too much. Trying to change into a better man, and hope that the ones I've hurt in any way because of my drinking, will forgive me.

Anyway, first thing that came into my mind while reading the topic is that when I drank, I couldn't care less If I can accually affoard it. Driving around without insurance, because I've spent the money on booze, Unable to practice the guitar because of a broken string, because I drank the money, eating 1 frozen pizza meal per day and drinking all day, because I had to choose between buying food and booze, and so on

It all comes together to a point that the most illogical thing I did while drinking is that, frequently in the end of the month, I spent all my money on it, instead of buying the stuff I accually need.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

decided to get help to stop. completely illogical to an alcoholic.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

gee whiz the list of illogical things I have done whilst drinking would fill a phone book.

its not a bad idea to reflect on this stuff because its a reminder of the total insanity of alcoholism and the longer I am sober the more so the depth of that madness is revealed.

I'm not going into any war stories here only to say that ive done many illogical, demented insane and downright crazy things that in the cold light of day chill my marrow to the bone.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nearly fatal accidents, 2 DUIS, jail, and what else? Being passed out at the feet of a 17 hand stallion until my love of my life found me. Wrecked my car to a neighbors yard. Does it get any better? Facing a sentence up to a year.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Who cares?

Why are stories like this valuable to anyone, in any stage of not drinking?

Just feels like rubber-necking at the scene of an accident, tabloid news, of no real value.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The most illogical thing was to drink to try to make myself feel better, when drinking was the reason I felt awful to begin with.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Who cares?

Why are stories like this valuable to anyone, in any stage of not drinking?

Just feels like rubber-necking at the scene of an accident, tabloid news, of no real value.
Possibly as a reminder not to drink.

But, OK. That is YOUR OPINION and everyone is allowed to have one. But this is a thread that I started. Not everyone feels the same way you do.

Feel free to ignore the thread if you don't care.

And actually in a group therapy session this was a topic, so apparently a licensed counselor thought so.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The tabloid news are real. Sorry.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinkPanther08 View Post
Possibly as a reminder not to drink.

But, OK. That is YOUR OPINION and everyone is allowed to have one. But this is a thread that I started. Not everyone feels the same way you do.

Feel free to ignore the thread if you don't care.

And actually in a group therapy session this was a topic, so apparently a licensed counselor thought so.
I've certainly asked these very same questions
I very well may ask them again.

But I wonder why I ask them or want to read about others similar horror stories.

Didn't mean to offend nothing personal was meant. I don't behoove whatever it is that gets someone sober.