Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What are some of the more illogical things you did while drinking...

Notices

What are some of the more illogical things you did while drinking...

Old 03-16-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
The tabloid news are real. Sorry.
If I did not make myself clear you don't need to hit that bottom. It's not a competition how low you have been. It's what you can achieve while you still have a life!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinkPanther08 View Post
I guess I am about a week or so sober. I haven't been counting, I think it makes it easier for me. But now that I slowly sober up I am thinking about all of the things that I have done that haven't "ruined" my life but had me on the slow track when I was always on the fastest track.

The most recent that comes to mind is that I was going out to get a pack of cigs (i only smoke sometimes and usually if I am completely binging) I was followed by some police and then pulled over for something that they said happened when I pulled out of the gas station. I had a bottle of liquor sitting right next to me (a mini) and they said they were going to try not to take me to jail. I lived the next complex down. And true to what they said they didn't take me to jail (Thankfully they weren't in the mood) but they gave me 3 super expensive tickets and therefore points on my license.

Did this stop me? That is the real illogical part.

I feel such a relieve when I see the police now.

Of course there is more...

But thinking about these past incidents makes me sad because I have wasted SO much time. There is a chance is too late for me to have a child since I could never keep a relationship long enough to have one. But just that I feel better and look better. I want to change and continue to feel this way and just do the best I can with the time I have.
I also stop counting after about a week, I kinda don't like giving it power!

I too will probably never have kids as due to all my drinking, I'm having a hysterectomy on the 29th March coz of what the alcohol has wreaked on me hormonally!

As for stupid things - where does one start when they've blacked out and don't remember? I've woken up with the house rearranged, dog food in the fridge and clothes in the dishwasher! Amongst many others! Lol
Old 03-16-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good thread, Pinkpanther. In my early sobriety I sought out threads like this. I didn't feel so alone in some of the awful things I had done because my experiences were so similar and it gave me a real appreciation for my sobriety.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think everyone is in different stages. And there are different strokes for different folks. Some haven't reached rock bottom.

In my case, I never hit the ultimate rock bottom. In jail or homeless but I lost many jobs and I am no where where I need to be in life . It could have always been worse.
As I've sobered up, I have just had so many episodes replaying in my head and I thought maybe someone might feel the same.

Not about rubber necking.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Threads like this definitely have value to me. Many times I have sought out similar stories because it made me feel less alone. Also I have done many things I cringe to even think of, and when I see people who have also done really stupid/illogical stuff and yet managed to turn it around and gain peace and happiness through sobriety, that's always really inspirational to me.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I consider myself a very logical person, Spock is my hero, but everything I did while drinking was illogical. It was only after I'd been sober for a while that I saw it for what it was. Just glad those days are gone.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I agree with others who find threads like these useful. I need reminders as to why I don’t want to ever go back. And maybe a little bit of ‘misery loves company’ if I’m honest. Ugh I cringe to remember some things, but it’s good to also then look forward. I think for me it was always finding a reason to justify drinking, which even at the time I knew was to logical but I spun it for myself: something good happened? Let’s celebrate. Something bad? I deserve a little comfort. I’m bored? Let’s ease the boredom. I’m anxious? Let’s calm down. Can’t sleep? Have a night cap. Ridiculous!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Years ago I was out with a girlfriend back in the day when we used to go out dancing at the country western bars (they no longer exist around where I live). She'd left her purse in my pickup. I'd gotten toasted, headed home, and checked my answer machine when I got home (this is before cell phones) only to find out, to my horror, that I had forgotten my friend. She'd left a tearful message, I felt so bad that I got back in my pickup and drove back to town 15 miles (drunk), through town, out east another 15 miles to her place only to find she wasn't there (stoopid me, I had her keys too). She had to go home with an acquaintance because of me. I drove the 60 additional miles drunk to try and "do the right thing". Must have been my lucky night as I was not pulled over though I passed many cops. thank god I don't usually take idiotic chances and life is sure a whole lot better sober!

Blessings - she is still a dear friend of mine.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It's a long 'distinguished list'..like really long. Drunk driving is #1 because then I was endangering others. Business actions would be 2nd to me because I affected others at times financially. 3rd would be staying in toxic relationships for far too long for selfish reasons. There's also blackout gambling,drugs, random women,fights,jail/court,being a not good parent/role model,impulsive spending,ect.. Fun times!

I also never hit my bottom..I just got tired of living like that and finally grew up.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
J50

I don't get some of the negative posts regarding the original question.

For some, talking about this type of thing is theraputic.

For me, one of the most illogical things was taking my blood pressure and cholesterol pills before bed after I had pounded a bottle of wine.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good threat, but I admit I did a double take because it probably should read, "what are some of the logical things you did drunk?"

I'll name a few at the top of my list. I grabbed the steering wheel while drunk trying to turn the car around while my husband was driving.

I let a credit card bill go to collections because I was always too drunk to find my routing number to make an immediate payment. The day before they were going to chargeoff they gave me one final warning. I told them I didn't care.

We had more than enough sitting in the bank to pay the whole thing off.

I can think of 100s more.

Told people that my husband thought they were ugly and so were the children. (he did say this, but it didn't need to be relayed).

Ugh. Just ugh. Just everything was horrible.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Who cares?

Why are stories like this valuable to anyone, in any stage of not drinking?

Just feels like rubber-necking at the scene of an accident, tabloid news, of no real value.
I used to wonder about the use of these threads too, and I still generally don't participate in them as a personal preference ....

but I see now that a lot of people, especially newcomers, have a real and genuine need to know where they fall in the 'bell curve' of alcoholic experience.

If a thread starts going into the prurient, or it seems like folks are living vicariously, or indulging in peeing contests about whos the worst alkie, you can be sure that Anna or I myself will step in and steer things back on the right track.

I think this thread is going along fine without the need for course correction right now tho

Dee
SR
Old 03-17-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Personally, these confessional threads help me heal. The self inflicted sabotage I've done to myself boggles me. It helps me personally to hear others tales of woe.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I would run out of ink if I had to mention all the illogical things.
I think drinking leads to an illogical life.
Sobriety leads to a logical life. ( some people, people in denial call this a boring life)

Don’t know how old you are or your gender.
Women have children in their 40’s nowadays
Men can have children whenever if they aren’t infertile.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Who cares?

Why are stories like this valuable to anyone, in any stage of not drinking?

Just feels like rubber-necking at the scene of an accident, tabloid news, of no real value.
I agree with this 100 percent . Living in your destructive past memories serves no purpose .
Old 03-17-2018, 03:06 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

used the bedside drawer as a toilet.....
Old 03-17-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My husband went on a 4 day work trip with my oldest and the 2 youngest went to my mother in laws. It was just me and my 6 year old. We planned our (mom and me) week while I was sober. He was so excited...then all I did was drink and sleep he missed all of those fun things. That was my rock bottom, when my husband got home I was withdrawing so badly that I had to stay in the hospital. I was so embarrassed and just sick about what I had done to my son. That was almost 4 weeks ago, I made a promise to my kids and myself that I won’t touch alcohol again. I hate that crap. I did make up our fun week too
Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I used to wonder about the use of these threads too, and I still generally don't participate in them as a personal preference ....

but I see now that a lot of people, especially newcomers, have a real and genuine need to know where they fall in the 'bell curve' of alcoholic experience.

If a thread starts going into the prurient, or it seems like folks are living vicariously, or indulging in peeing contests about whos the worst alkie, you can be sure that Anna or I myself will step in and steer things back on the right track.

I think this thread is going along fine without the need for course correction right now tho

Dee
SR
Thanks Dee.

I certainly didn't mean to offend the original poster. And as I said above, I would never disparage whatever gets someone sober or to stay sober.

However at the risk of upsetting someone I also think honesty on these boards is so important. It's what's always aided me.

I'm no old hat but also no newbie I suppose.

I just read through some of this thread and it only awakens the AV/beast in me, as I'm sure it does some others.

Pisssing in a night stand? Well I pisssed in my wife's favorite potted plant! Oh yeah well I pissed in my daughter's toy chest...and so on and so on.

It's graceless, sad behavior that gives my AV that thrill of recognition. I've been there. And I want to leave that destroyed city in the smoldering ruins, far behind my back,where it belongs.

I'm just a voice of someone fighting for sobriety. If my honesty offends, so be it. If my honesty provides some solace or comradeship, so be that.

Stay strong everyone. However you do that.

No one is coming to save us.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't mind people being honest, less

If a thread awakens AV by all means move on to another one - or if you think a topic is dangerous to not just yourself but others by all means discuss that in public or via PM with me and Anna....and then move on

There's a lot to chew on here at SR...no need to chew too much on something you find noxious.

D
Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I don't normally post in these threads because, for me, it isn't helpful. But it quite obvious it is for many so that is great.

Getting over the past is really hard. And right when I think I've let it all go in screams some other memory or feeling based on a memory that is really hard to deal with. But for me its important to remember: that was me then, this is me NOW and what I do with today is what defines me. Yesterday is gone. I really like that I can look at much of my past and say, okay I did that. I don't ever have to go there again. It takes time and acceptance.