Old 03-16-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sparkling

My whole life became one illogical mess but there is one thing that beats all of my other crazy behaviour and I wish I could turn back time on. That is driving completely sober with my daughter around 25 miles at 8am on a Saturday morning to get her to her swimming lesson but stopping for a bottle of vodka on the way to drink later that night (well actually I would have started it as soon as I got home to my husband). Around 2 miles from home my tyre blew so I pulled over on the side of the motorway, called for vehicle recovery and called my husband to collect our daughter to get her to safety off the motorway. Once he'd taken her I then decided it was a good idea to have a small bit of that vodka while I waited for recovery, that turned into a lot. Fast forward to the police pulling over to check I was okay about an hour later and I was WASTED. 12 hours in the police cells followed and I was given a custodial prison sentence, suspended luckily. It was also all over the newspapers so my reputation is destroyed (headlines indicate I drove with my daughter like that which is not true but paints a more sensational picture). Anyway this was my rock bottom and I went straight into recovery, throwing everything at it. I started a new job and all was going great, then someone from the new company Googled me and saw the news reports - at which point I was let go. So now I'm unemployed again and every day wish I'd just not opened that vodka, but what's done is done and I can't dwell on it too much - my focus has to be staying sober and being thankful my friends and family have stood by me.