New member - antidepressants

Old 02-01-2002, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post New member - antidepressants

Hello. I am new to this message board and new to recovery. My husband is an A and has stopped drinking two weeks ago. I have just started going to Alanon meetings and have already learned so much. My husband does not want to start going to AA.
Last night we had a typical blow up at our house. My son is 16 and is rebellous. He and my husband do not get along. There are too many dynamics to describe here, but trust me they are bad. After a brief argument last night I strated screaming. I am so fragile now, and at my breaking point. The windows in the house were open and I am sure my neighbors could hear me screaming. I wish I could control my anger. I also feel a bit hopeless about my chances for recovery and our chances for recovery as a family.
Question: Does anyone have experience with recovery and taking antidepressants? I have taken antidepressants in the past for about 1 year. I struggle with low grade depression all the time. I am hesitant to begin taking them again because I am not sure they are good for me or safe. My daughter said last night that she was tired of me being in a bad mood all the time.
Any thoughts?
Old 02-01-2002, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Rose!
Welcome to the recovery forum!

The addict in my life just had a very bad experience with the anti-depressant, Paxil, so I am perhaps a little biased. I'd think that for those of us dealing with people who are using mind altering drugs, the last thing we'd want to do is join them if we don't have to. If you've tried fixing your diet, getting regular exercise and rest (I know that's the tough one with an addict in the house)... if you've tried punching bags, prayer and the joke-a-day web pages... then maybe.

You must have some basis for thinking the drug you took may not be good for you. Did you have side effects?

Maybe you could give your alanon meetings a little more time before you give in to chemicals. And when you get angry... POST! Scream, spew, rant, rave, complain, kvetch.... we've all been there. We all sympathize and we DO want to hear it! I can't tell you what having this message board to come to has done for my mood.

Keep posting!
Smoke
Old 02-01-2002, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Smoke for your reply. My husband is currently taking Paxil, your comment makes me concerned. He was taking Celexa but switched to Paxil because the insurance co-pay for Celexa went up in Jan. I will be sure to ask him how he feels etc.
I did not experience any side effects with Prozac except night sweats. I am hesitant because I have read they are over prescribed and because the withdrawl from them is so distrubing if you quit cold turkey. I guess I just dont like taking medicine. I am a little distrustful of the medical way to just take a pill!
Yes I should use this board to post when I am angry, or before I get so angry. I will try to keep working out my feelings.
I do exercise and get plenty of rest(I tend to sleep too much). I will keep the faith and just keep going. thanks
Old 02-01-2002, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Prayer, Church, Counseling (No Meds), Nar-anon/Al-anon. That would be my prescription for coping / healing....

------------------
For prayer and other Christian related recovery issues..visit: www.redeemedchristianrecovery.soberrecovery.com/corkboard/

[This message has been edited by RovenRev (edited February 01, 2002).]
Old 02-01-2002, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Julia

Sorry Rev,

Have to disagree with you here. Only the individual can decide if antipressant medication (along with a qualified Dr.'s advice), is something they will benefit from.

For certain psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia for instance no amount of prayer, or counseling will keep them from decompensating (i.e., having hallucinations, hearing voices etc.)

Are these medications over-prescribed, yes.

However, it wasn't that long ago that people with mental and emotional disorders were locked up and treated like animals.

Prop 13 made even less services available for people suffering from these illnesses. Many homeless people seen wandering the streets are not addicts and alcoholics, but people suffering from psycological disorders that are unable to get help.

I depends on the severity of the condition, how badly it is affecting the persons life.

These medications do have side affects. Some people choose not to use them because of these side affects. Some people try different ones before they find one that is helpful for them.

Many thousands of people non-addicts, and addicts have found help with these medications in that they are able to live a more fully functioning life than without them.

My experience comes directly from the field of psychology and psychiatry.

Of course prayer and counseling are always beneficial.

Julia

Old 02-01-2002, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
California

Rose56,

I am a social worker, and have had clients on every psychotropic medication you can name. I take an anti-depressant myself for chronic depression. I suffered with depression for over two years, and even had to go on medical leave for two months, before I agreed to try medication. It has meant a world of difference in my ability to function. Like every other medication in the world, psychotropics do have side effects, and those can be totally different, depending on the person. There are hundreds out there, and most people have to try at least a couple before they find what is right for them. My advise to you is to see a psychiatrist rather than your family doctor. Although a general practitioner can prescribe anti-depressants, it is not their area of expertise, and when it comes to medication that effects how your brain works, you definately want an expert. One word about depression: the research shows that the combination of therapy and medication works better than either one individually. Alanon is equivilent to therapy in this case. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Old 02-01-2002, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI Rose...
I didn't mean to scare you. This is a webpage that lists some information about complications of Paxil use.
http://www.quitpaxil.org/symptoms.htm

It seems that less than 10% of people who take paxil have any serious problems, or even a withdrawal more noticeable than "flulike symptoms". The trouble is, that unless it is totally out of your system (3 weeks?) other medications can cause weird complications. Dino took an over the counter antihistamine and it sent him into a frenzy. Always make sure you know what the interactive drugs are for a medication you are taking and READ LABELS!

And yes... find a place to let your anger out that does not make you feel worse (like exploding in front of your family and neighbors)... like HERE!

Smoke
Old 02-01-2002, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello Rose

I can totaly relate to everything you've described. I live a very similar life.
Please feel free to email me.
regards
Sally
Old 02-01-2002, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

I believe the person who initiated this post shared that she is experiencing "Anger" and "Low Grade Depression" I did not see anything that even remotely suggested issues of an "Organic Nature." She asked for an opinion...I gave mine...She indicated concern over medicating.

A complete psyco/social history, clinical assessment and clinical testing with a Licensed Clinical Counselor, Christian, or non-Christian would be where I would begin...(before I sought out medical care...with the symptoms you suggest a medical doctor who is worth his/her weight would refer you for counseling before medicating) A counselor is trained to identify areas that may need to be looked at more closely. He or she is also ethicly bound to make a referral if after consulting with the client, both agree that this is in their best interest.

IMHO Medicating for "Anger" and "Low Grade" depression impeads the counseling process because you are counseling someone who is in an "altered state." Again, I am not referring to diagnosis that identify Organic damage, severe clinical depresssion, or a history that would find a "legitimate" bipolar diagnosis.

If you want to learn how to deal with your anger and cope with life's problems...work on those things that are causing you inter/intra personal conflict...Don't numb them with drugs...

With that said...Church, Prayer, Individual and Family Clinical Counseling, Nar-anon / Al-anon is my suggestion.. (I came back to add: Use of this forum and fellowshipping with others who have ES&H is also an excellent source for coping.) This is my opinion, and is only an opinion based on the information presented.

P.S. To Social Worker..I am a Licensed Clinical Christian Counselor...who also suffered with anger issues and "low grade depression"

[This message has been edited by RovenRev (edited February 02, 2002).]
Old 02-02-2002, 02:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Rose:

Please check in once in awhile and let us know how you're doing..
Old 02-02-2002, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rose, welcome to the recovery forum. i have read your post and the replies that you have received. For an addict, taking any kind of medication is a serious matter and should be medically monitored. For a co-dependent it is just as serious (not to medicate the pain). I would suggest that before you make a decision about taking or not taking medication that you speak to a doctor who specializes in addiction and medication and the proper uses and who should use them. There are other benefits but if you contact him, you will see. Here is the name of a doctor in Raleigh, let me know how it works out.

Robert C. Vanderberry M.D.
Addiction Medicine
4700 Six Fork Road
Raleigh, North Carolina
919-881-0585

Just for Today, i will have faith in someone in NA who believes in me and wants to help me in my recovery
Old 02-04-2002, 07:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have much food for thought. I am going to see my counsler tonight and will discuss with her as well. I already feel more hopeful, receiving your concerned replies, and attending a couple of Alnon meetings. Thank you for your support. I will keep you updated on my progress.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

That a girl...God bless you as your journey continues...

------------------
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace amid the storm....

RovenRev