View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Julia

Sorry Rev,

Have to disagree with you here. Only the individual can decide if antipressant medication (along with a qualified Dr.'s advice), is something they will benefit from.

For certain psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia for instance no amount of prayer, or counseling will keep them from decompensating (i.e., having hallucinations, hearing voices etc.)

Are these medications over-prescribed, yes.

However, it wasn't that long ago that people with mental and emotional disorders were locked up and treated like animals.

Prop 13 made even less services available for people suffering from these illnesses. Many homeless people seen wandering the streets are not addicts and alcoholics, but people suffering from psycological disorders that are unable to get help.

I depends on the severity of the condition, how badly it is affecting the persons life.

These medications do have side affects. Some people choose not to use them because of these side affects. Some people try different ones before they find one that is helpful for them.

Many thousands of people non-addicts, and addicts have found help with these medications in that they are able to live a more fully functioning life than without them.

My experience comes directly from the field of psychology and psychiatry.

Of course prayer and counseling are always beneficial.

Julia