View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
California

Rose56,

I am a social worker, and have had clients on every psychotropic medication you can name. I take an anti-depressant myself for chronic depression. I suffered with depression for over two years, and even had to go on medical leave for two months, before I agreed to try medication. It has meant a world of difference in my ability to function. Like every other medication in the world, psychotropics do have side effects, and those can be totally different, depending on the person. There are hundreds out there, and most people have to try at least a couple before they find what is right for them. My advise to you is to see a psychiatrist rather than your family doctor. Although a general practitioner can prescribe anti-depressants, it is not their area of expertise, and when it comes to medication that effects how your brain works, you definately want an expert. One word about depression: the research shows that the combination of therapy and medication works better than either one individually. Alanon is equivilent to therapy in this case. I hope you are feeling better soon.