Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

I need more ideas, I got a lot of help here before

Notices

Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm usually on the friends and family section, but you were most helpful to me the last time I posted here.

I'm posting about my cousin. He was a heroin addict, then on the meth program for 20 years. Went cold turkey from 70 mg to 0 in 11/2014.

He told me that his mind was messed up for a really long time after that, but at this point he is ready to change his life around.

Does this sound right? Would it take him that long? and no he doesn't work a program. He was actually living like a hermit, except to go to food pantries. He did do some work for someone for about 2 months, and has about $1000 at home.

He has no drivers license, (many tickets for driving without a license, no insurance, not registered vehicle, in NY, NJ, and now add in SC).

He was stopped in SC because of no inspection, no license, no registration, so need to add that state to the list. He was only driving once a week and that was to go to the food pantries.

He walked to town, a 16 hour walk total, to add money to his tracfone so he could call me. They were going to shut off his electric shortly, he has the money for it, but he has no checking acct, no credit card, no debit card, etc... It wasn't a large amount, so I paid it with my credit card, and he told me he would repay me. (I would never have done this if I couldn't afford it, but I can)

Now, when I left my abusive relationship, I had really good friends that let me move into their second house, and charged me nothing. So, I strongly believe in "Pay it Forward". (but don't wanted to feel "taken" for that) I hope you understand where I am coming from.

I helped him buy a moped online, since he can't even get into town (25 miles or more away) to get it himself. He told me he would pay me back as soon as he opens up a checking acct, (but that's besides the point, I don't loan money unless I am willing to lose it). In my mind, I am willing to help out as long as he is putting in an effort to straighten things out for himself.

So, so far, he now has the moped. He will get the papers in the mail so that he can register the vehicle, and I think get a class M license. I also picked up a $30 per month prepaid cell phone with 1500 mins a month on it. Tracphone was getting too expensive. Think I spent over 12 hours with him on the phone in just the last week. The cell phone is a verizon plan, so it is not affecting my minutes now. (I pay $30 per month for a verizon basic plan, and verizon to verizon, the minutes don't count.

Really sorry that this is getting to be so long without me actually asking yet, what help I need.

My cousin lives out in the sticks somewhere, he has really bad reception. It doesn't ring inside his house. So he still needs to keep up the tracphone. He can use the other phone to call me only outside, and that depends on the weather, and other things.

So with the moped, he will be able to drive into town legally, he can connect with me depending on the weather, but all the time with the expensive minutes on tracfone.

He can again get to the food pantry. He can go into to town and apply for jobs. (This will be right after he gets his paperwork for the moped, most likely by Wednesday)

So now I will get to my questions !!!!! (lol)

He really is living like a hermit. He has no cable, no tv, no internet, no hot water heater (it broke). This will not be things that I will be helping him out with by paying for it. These are things that I want him to work for. His computer is an old one xp, and he had it previously on dial-up service. He has a really old Tv, which I don't know if I'm stating this correctly, but I think it is analog, and not digital. He has no internet at present, and I am trying to think of the cheapest way for someone who is in a remote area can get internet, a working TV, and a cheaper phone that works indoors.

Wanted to know if anyone here used Roku, signal boosters, or antennas for this purpose and how they worked. Or if anyone has any other suggestions?

Things like with that TV, would it be easier and cheaper to get a digital converter, or just a cheap TV from Walmart? If he gets Roku, but signal isn't strong enough will an antenna work? Will a cheap signal booster help a cell phone in the house, if the house is sided in aluminum? Also, am I getting crazy in my researching for him, and should I just send him to best buy for answers?

He also tells me that he can't receive federal programs because he is considered a "felon", non criminal offender. States the only thing he is entitled to at the present time is help with electric bill, which he already used, and the food pantries.

Thank you for any help or enlightening that you can give me.

I decided this is my one time help to help him straighten out things, instead of the bandaides I was helping him with before.

(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
amy
Old 03-28-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm no geek, but fortunately I'm married to one and we live way out n the boonies. His best bet for tv, internet, and phone is probably satellite, but it's usually not cheap and they'll lock him/you into a two-year contract and if it's DISH for tv and internet, he'll have a heck of a time getting out of it.

Cell phone reception is very localized. You might try Consumer Cellular, but they sold us a phone swearing they had good signal where we live...but actually, we have zero signal. Good times.

For Roku or any of the streaming services, he needs internet/wifi and an HDMI television.

Since he's living fine without television (hey, we got rid of ours), he has transportation into town where I'm assuming there's a library for internet use, maybe focus on the phone so he can get calls regarding employment? Ask around locally as to the best carriers and get enough of a data plan for email if he has a smart phone. You can pick up older models pretty reasonably on ebAy but be sure the carrier will support it.

This isn't your first rodeo, so you know what the risks are, so I'm not addressing the decision to try to help...that's up to you.

ETA: There are antennas you can buy pretty cheaply online, but they will only boost a signal being broadcast so it's local channels at best and there aren't usually many of those.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. This is what I was actually thinking.

He said he had about 200 movies on dvd and vhs. That's what he has been doing. I was shocked when he didn't even know the presidential candidates this year, but he has nothing to keep up with that.

I won't be helping him with that stuff. Was trying to find the cheapest alternatives for him to help himself set some goals, He didn't live with this for over a year, then if he wants it, he can do it for himself. I did inquire as to whether or not he has a library card. He does.

You are right though, I've been in this rodeo. I did provide the means and ways for him to get employment. Whether he repays me or not, I really don't care. If he sells the things I provided for him, then I will know that he never meant to better himself. Then I wipe my hands clean of this.

I do know it's springtime and there are a lot of seasonal jobs out there, I'll see what he does with the opportunity to do them.

Thanks again,

((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy

I think you added in the ETA about the cheap antennas. Will they work on the old outdated TV's?
Old 03-28-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They might? Check in the fine print as to what models they support? The question would be how the antenna would connect to the TV...newer models have HDMI and USB connections but depending on how old his set is he might have VGI connections (I think that's what they're called, they're red, yellow, and white). He may be using those for his dvd player.

FWIW, I think it's great that you're giving him this chance.

(As an aside, I wish I didn't know who was running for president...I'd sleep better at night!)

One last thought...maybe a newspaper subscription, the old fashioned actual paper kind? In rural communities, they're often alive and well.

Yet another thought...Goodwill often has used electronics for cheap.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Re: smartphones, my cousin would not be able to use that, and I don't know how to use that, so I can't help him with that. I have that dinosaur flip phone. He asks too many questions, and I can't research anymore for things that I have no knowledge of, and he self describes himself as "not the sharpest tool in the shed".

For cell phone, he has that verizon that he needs to use outside in good weather, he would keep his tracphone for employment calls, and in emergencies.

It was actually cheaper for me to get him a month to month prepaid cellphone, then to increase my cell phone plan.

thanks,
amy
Old 03-28-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, I just got a smart phone last month, kicking and screaming...I liked my flip phone! As for the rest, I am pretty much a tech idiot and when my husband tries to explain things, all I hear is Charlie Brown's math teacher and when he stops talking, I hold out my little iPad and whimper, "Make go, why no working, why? Fix?"
Old 03-28-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
They might? Check in the fine print as to what models they support? The question would be how the antenna would connect to the TV...newer models have HDMI and USB connections but depending on how old his set is he might have VGA connections (I think that's what they're called, they're red, yellow, and white). He may be using those for his dvd player.

FWIW, I think it's great that you're giving him this chance.

(As an aside, I wish I didn't know who was running for president...I'd sleep better at night!)

One last thought...maybe a newspaper subscription, the old fashioned actual paper kind? In rural communities, they're often alive and well.
That made me laugh, I also wish I didn't know who was running for president. ((lol))

OK, with the TV, I think back about 3 years ago you needed to get a digital converter for those TV, he never got one.

I know when I first moved in with my friends it was in 2009 and I was using the bunny ears antenna, (is that what they called them then)?

He had mentioned that when he started working he could pick up a cheap TV from Walmart for about $100 - $150. I'm letting him go with that one.

Why would I want to help him---- I used to babysit for him. His mother was schizophrenic. His dad worked, then came home to take care of the kids. His mom left when he was about 7 . She actually sold him and his brother to the father for $5000., then she disappeared. She died years later in a psych ward. This kid was messed up since the time he was born. He later had a child, and the mother of the child put his daughter up for adoption, when she found out that I wanted to adopt the child, she stopped the adoption. My uncle, his father wanted to adopt that child, but he was too sick. He died a few years later of "Agent Orange" a chemical used in the Viet Nam war.

I do know about enabling and codependency. I want this man to know that someone always loved him and always will.

My main goal here was transportation and communication. I did that, the rest is up to him and I'll be there for support and encouragement.

Thanks again for all your help, appreciate it.

(((((hugs))))))
amy
Old 03-28-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, I just got a smart phone last month, kicking and screaming...I liked my flip phone! As for the rest, I am pretty much a tech idiot and when my husband tries to explain things, all I hear is Charlie Brown's math teacher and when he stops talking, I hold out my little iPad and whimper, "Make go, why no working, why? Fix?"
Old 03-28-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Let me know if he has other questions...I can ask my husband and if I really concentrate, I might even understand the answer.

Sending you a hug for loving your cousin...it sure sounds like he hasn't had a break at all except for you...
Old 03-28-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Let me know if he has other questions...I can ask my husband and if I really concentrate, I might even understand the answer.

Sending you a hug for loving your cousin...it sure sounds like he hasn't had a break at all except for you...
I really do appreciate that. I have spent the last 10 days trying to deal with these things, and trying to figure out how he can start to live like a human being again for the last 10 days. I think I provided the fix this time with trans, and communication, leaving the rest up to him, but wanted to be able to help him set goals.

I left him with about 2 hours on his tracfone which does work in his house, and about 1300 mins on his verizon to call me. Which those mins won't count for verizon to verizon. I think that is the best start that I can give him. Oh, I also sent him a box of Amazon prime pantry food, since he couldn't go to the food pantry for the last month.

There might be a few more things that I will do for the initial setup for him, but he needs to use that for self-sufficiency.

Really thank you so much for talking to me today, and helping me out, and don't worry, I will remember if I have more tech ?'s I'll check with you.

many (((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))
amy
Old 03-28-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

You should be able to buy a digital antenna for a analog TV my TV is analog it's not a flat screen and has scart instead of HDMI and I use a digital areial to pick up digital TV
Old 03-28-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
You should be able to buy a digital antenna for a analog TV my TV is analog it's not a flat screen and has scart instead of HDMI and I use a digital areial to pick up digital TV

This is the stuff that I am looking for, either the best short term solution or a cheaper long term solution. I won't be paying for any of this because I don't want him to be home watching TV instead of looking for a job, but once he gets a job, I want to be able to give him cheap solutions to his problems so that he is not so isolated.

Thank you
((((((hugs))))))
amy
Old 03-28-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anytime Amy x
Old 03-28-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I called my cousin today. I had to use the tracfone to call him on since the other doesn't ring in the house. I had to keep it short because of using his minutes on the tracfone.

He sounded so much better then he did in the last week that I talked to him. He actually sounded happy and excited about life again. I would have loved to talk to him for a longer time, but had to cut it short tonight to save the minutes on his tracfone. He'll be calling me back tomorrow on the other phone(verizon) that he needs to go someplace outside to use.

I am keeping a folder with all the suggestions from here to see what might work best for him to get in contact with the world again.

Thank you again, if there are any other comments or suggestions, I will be so happy to hear any of them.

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy
Old 04-01-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Night owl

I too think it's great that you're helping him, specifically letting him know someone will always love him. It's a harsh and lonely world out there.

As far as tv goes--I have a 20 year old analog tv and get my local stations. You need a converter box, that changes signal from analog to digital. The govt gave away free cards for them, but they shouldn't be too expensive at discount electronic store. Then he can use rabbit ear or old type antenna. I live in the country and get at least ten channels. Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just wanted you to know I am still here, and still listening to cheap alternatives for him. I can't and won't purchase any of these things for him. It may keep him home instead of going out and doing what he needs to do.

There was a delay in the paperwork getting to him to register the scooter. So this will probably be done by this coming Wednesday. (A week later then what I had originally thought). I did send him food from Amazon Prime Pantry.

Also seems he somehow was adopted by a dog. (lol) Dog shows up in the morning, and stays with him all day. It's a stray dog. My cousin will not not feed the dog, because he doesn't want the dog to starve, and he will not call aspca on the dog, because of a risk of a kill shelter. Now I also love animals, so I sent him a case of dog food, and told him if the dog doesn't come back, then to donate the food.

Last night my cousin called me, and it was things that I really didn't want to discuss with him. He wanted to talk about his mom. He wanted to talk about his childhood. His mom was schizophrenic, she died in a pysch ward. She sold him and his brother to their father for $5000. Then she more or less just walked away, except for maybe 3 visits with them when they were in their teens. They were 4 and 7 when she left.

I knew he wanted me to tell him that his mom loved him, so I did, I told him that she had a mental illness (which he knew about) and that she loved him the best that she was capable of, and that she knew that they would be better off with their father then with her. It seemed to comfort him a little bit.

So, still keeping notes on everything here that can help him, once he gets a job.

Any ideas on Roku when you have bad reception, or those signal boosters for cell phone?

I do love my cousin a lot. I also enjoy talking to him, and I am hoping so much that this was just the push that he needed.

Thanks again, and will update, (even if my gut feeling was wrong about him)
(((((hugs))))))
amy
Old 04-01-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

He is lucky to have you Amy. You are doing a really nice thing helping him get back on his feet.❤️
Old 04-02-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Update

He received the paperwork for the moped today. He will be going into town on Monday to have it properly registered. He will also be going to the food pantry, Walmart, to buy some clothes that would be suitable for employment (he lost a lot of weight and nothing fits him), will be going to the bank to start up a checking acct and get a debit card, and getting a hair cut.

In SC, you need to now have a license to drive a moped so he will be getting the info on that. So, he still wouldn't be legal as of now, but he is going to take that chance.

I live 10 hours away from him, so I can't help him with any of this. (I mean driving him).

He did sound enthused about being somewhat legal, and being able to seek employment, after getting his moped license. He is actually thinking about things he needs to do for employment. (like decent clothes, and a haircut)

So thank you all for all of your kind words. I will keep updating, (if you don't mind), because I also would like to know if I ever step over that line and crossover into enabling.

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
amy
Old 04-06-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Amy- this is a very selfless & awesome thing you are doing for him- everybody needs someone to be there for them at times! kudos to you!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi, just wanted to give a short update.

I talk to my cousin everyday for about 2 to 3 hours. He is sounding a lot better then he did before. Less depressed, but more obsessed about getting totally legal now, meaning getting info as to all the fines and fees that he needs to pay to get an actual drivers license for a car.

I'm letting all of this go for now, because I know he must be feeling so excited to have some mobility and a form of communication. I'll be pushing the job thing again later this week. It seems like he is using this time to increase his self esteem and self confidence. I really never knew what rock bottom was till I started talking to my cousin.

He's talking about applying for a job doing road work. This is good because it pays decent, and he doesn't have to drive. He might need his GED though, which we will work on also. After talking to him for so many hours this last month, I'm confident he can get a GED.

I do have to admit that he makes me feel good about myself also. He thanks me for motivating him, that he did more in the last 30 days to better his life, then he did in the last 10 years. Our phone conversations are now more personal then desperation, which I feel really good about.

Thanks for being here for me when I was feeling desperate, and I will update when he gets a job.

((((((hugs)))))
amy