Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
amy55

I need more ideas, I got a lot of help here before

Hi, I'm usually on the friends and family section, but you were most helpful to me the last time I posted here.

I'm posting about my cousin. He was a heroin addict, then on the meth program for 20 years. Went cold turkey from 70 mg to 0 in 11/2014.

He told me that his mind was messed up for a really long time after that, but at this point he is ready to change his life around.

Does this sound right? Would it take him that long? and no he doesn't work a program. He was actually living like a hermit, except to go to food pantries. He did do some work for someone for about 2 months, and has about $1000 at home.

He has no drivers license, (many tickets for driving without a license, no insurance, not registered vehicle, in NY, NJ, and now add in SC).

He was stopped in SC because of no inspection, no license, no registration, so need to add that state to the list. He was only driving once a week and that was to go to the food pantries.

He walked to town, a 16 hour walk total, to add money to his tracfone so he could call me. They were going to shut off his electric shortly, he has the money for it, but he has no checking acct, no credit card, no debit card, etc... It wasn't a large amount, so I paid it with my credit card, and he told me he would repay me. (I would never have done this if I couldn't afford it, but I can)

Now, when I left my abusive relationship, I had really good friends that let me move into their second house, and charged me nothing. So, I strongly believe in "Pay it Forward". (but don't wanted to feel "taken" for that) I hope you understand where I am coming from.

I helped him buy a moped online, since he can't even get into town (25 miles or more away) to get it himself. He told me he would pay me back as soon as he opens up a checking acct, (but that's besides the point, I don't loan money unless I am willing to lose it). In my mind, I am willing to help out as long as he is putting in an effort to straighten things out for himself.

So, so far, he now has the moped. He will get the papers in the mail so that he can register the vehicle, and I think get a class M license. I also picked up a $30 per month prepaid cell phone with 1500 mins a month on it. Tracphone was getting too expensive. Think I spent over 12 hours with him on the phone in just the last week. The cell phone is a verizon plan, so it is not affecting my minutes now. (I pay $30 per month for a verizon basic plan, and verizon to verizon, the minutes don't count.

Really sorry that this is getting to be so long without me actually asking yet, what help I need.

My cousin lives out in the sticks somewhere, he has really bad reception. It doesn't ring inside his house. So he still needs to keep up the tracphone. He can use the other phone to call me only outside, and that depends on the weather, and other things.

So with the moped, he will be able to drive into town legally, he can connect with me depending on the weather, but all the time with the expensive minutes on tracfone.

He can again get to the food pantry. He can go into to town and apply for jobs. (This will be right after he gets his paperwork for the moped, most likely by Wednesday)

So now I will get to my questions !!!!! (lol)

He really is living like a hermit. He has no cable, no tv, no internet, no hot water heater (it broke). This will not be things that I will be helping him out with by paying for it. These are things that I want him to work for. His computer is an old one xp, and he had it previously on dial-up service. He has a really old Tv, which I don't know if I'm stating this correctly, but I think it is analog, and not digital. He has no internet at present, and I am trying to think of the cheapest way for someone who is in a remote area can get internet, a working TV, and a cheaper phone that works indoors.

Wanted to know if anyone here used Roku, signal boosters, or antennas for this purpose and how they worked. Or if anyone has any other suggestions?

Things like with that TV, would it be easier and cheaper to get a digital converter, or just a cheap TV from Walmart? If he gets Roku, but signal isn't strong enough will an antenna work? Will a cheap signal booster help a cell phone in the house, if the house is sided in aluminum? Also, am I getting crazy in my researching for him, and should I just send him to best buy for answers?

He also tells me that he can't receive federal programs because he is considered a "felon", non criminal offender. States the only thing he is entitled to at the present time is help with electric bill, which he already used, and the food pantries.

Thank you for any help or enlightening that you can give me.

I decided this is my one time help to help him straighten out things, instead of the bandaides I was helping him with before.

(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
amy