Notices

A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27

Old 11-26-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Talking A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27

Last weeks weekender thread set new records for how fast we moved and how much support was so freely given to everyone who needed it.

I would like to dedicate this weekend's thread to the newcomer. Have those that are regulars and semi regulars help bring some focused support and help welcome each new person. We do that always but with as fast as we have been moving I thought a little extra might be good.

To the newcomer or anyone who stops by this is the weekender. A safe haven and a magical sober bus ride that takes you around the globe many times in a weekend. The only ticket you need is a simple hello. It's a glorious example of how living sober does not mean that you stop living. Quite the opposite really!!!

Any topic will be fine. We span the gamut.

We start on Thursdays to be sure everyone down under, where Friday's arrive a bit sooner than me here in Maine, can enjoy the weekender! Right Trees!

*Ring Ring*

Those are the freedom bells of sobriety. We ring them every weekend to remind us that we can be free from drugs and drinking.

It's Thanksgiving morning here in the US. I will be giving my thanks for sure today. let me start with thanking each of you for such caring and support each week!

Are you ready? Can you hear it? *Ring Ring*

Welcome to your sober weekend!

Old 11-26-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Woohoo shotgun!

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it. Happy Thursday to all.

I'm grateful for you Ken, for SR and for weekends.

And a big welcome to our newcomers, you are all welcome on this sober bus, the more the merrier.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

In!

Today, like every day, I am thankful for Sober Recovery and the people here who taught me how to get free from my addiction to alcohol and made me believe I could do it.

Starting with my friend Weasel whose half-joking statement that he would like to put his AV in a box and plug it's air hole until it stopped talking made me feel for the first time that I am not my addiction. It is a simple concept, but one that has had a profound impact on my journey.

Be well all. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Going to push a little to feel in the spirit and put up my tree and decorations a little later today. I love watching the Macy's parade and then the dog show so a quiet one.

Making bacon as I post!!!!

Love bacon!

Can one of our numbers guys tally last weekend's stats?
Old 11-26-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm cooling off in this part of the world, at 3pm this afternoon it was 39C, right now at almost 10pm it's 17C! You could have baked your turkey in my car today.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Newcomer here who would like to jump on.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in!
I want to wish all of you a very happy Thanksgiving (those of you who celebrate it).
It's just a regular day here.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just found out that my interview was unsuccessful for a job I really wanted, and yes I'm disappointed. I'm not sure why I even bother.
I don't know why employers put that lie at the end of rejection emails "we will keep your CV on file should any suitable vacancies arise".
We all know it's not true.
I have done a lot of interviews in my time and I have yet to hear back like that.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Newcomer here who would like to jump on.
Hey RedAndy!!! Welcome to SR and thand weekender!

What are your sober plans for today?
Old 11-26-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

On the roof howling I'm in
Old 11-26-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
In!

Today, like every day, I am thankful for Sober Recovery and the people here who taught me how to get free from my addiction to alcohol and made me believe I could do it.

Starting with my friend Weasel whose half-joking statement that he would like to put his AV in a box and plug it's air hole until it stopped talking made me feel for the first time that I am not my addiction. It is a simple concept, but one that has had a profound impact on my journey.

Be well all. Happy Thanksgiving!
It's been an absolute pleasure being on this walk with you nons!!!!

Old 11-26-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Miracle of miracles...
My mother and I have a somewhat rocky relationship. She just hugged me and said "don't worry. You'll get a job and I'm praying for you".
I can't remember the last time she hugged me.
Well I guess our relationship has changed a bit since I make an effort.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm up early and making one last appetizer, then need to get ready for the 3-hour drive.
I'll think about what I'm grateful for (there's lots) and chime in after coffee.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome redAndy to weekenders.

Hi Lorax, Marcher, Tetra and Wolf.

Great topic Weasel and thank you for your support and presence. This thread gives me something to come home to.

Tetra, I'm sorry you didn't get the job. That's disappointing. Your mother is right, you will get s job. Keep the faith in yourself.

It's going to be an odd Thanksgiving here at my house. Because it's going to be just me and the children for s change. Usually we go to my grandfather's with my parents and brother's family but not this year. So I'm cooking for just three at this point.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Non and MLD. Marty, I wish you a safe drive.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Weasel / Ruby,

Plans for today are to get some work done and make some money - already started well despite the fact I'm still in the process of extracting my head from my backside (no hols this side of the pond), then I have my daughter with her friend sleeping over tonight whilst the wife is at a class - make something good to eat and watch a bit of football (soccer) later. Back in the gym for the weekend to work my socks off and lift the mood (stop feeling sorry for myself !! - plenty to feel good about - not lost it all despite my best efforts and found this place plus today is the start of the rest of my life - I've finally realised & accepted I have issues with drink and drugs)

Hope you all have a great day / weekend.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Hi Weasel / Ruby,

Plans for today are to get some work done and make some money - already started well despite the fact I'm still in the process of extracting my head from my backside (no hols this side of the pond), then I have my daughter with her friend sleeping over tonight whilst the wife is at a class - make something good to eat and watch a bit of football (soccer) later. Back in the gym for the weekend to work my socks off and lift the mood (stop feeling sorry for myself !! - plenty to feel good about - not lost it all despite my best efforts and found this place plus today is the start of the rest of my life - I've finally realised & accepted I have issues with drink and drugs)

Hope you all have a great day / weekend.
That sounds like a good plan. Check in here over the weekend. Let us know how you are doing.

The way you feel now is what I think everyone of us has been through. I know I have. Took a while for me to realize that I had a problem. I went back and forth for years telling myself I don't. Facts don't lie. My life had become effed up.

i started running and working out and that has helped like nothing else has. Good plan.

Keep going. Glad you are here!

Ken
Old 11-26-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Congrats, Marcher!

Loading up the truck and heading for the folks' house. A few days of gratefulness.

Y'all have a nice holiday.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all!!! I have finally got Sr app and can read you at work a little bit. We have very strict Internet usage rules here. I am ok with that, just miss my Sr friends!

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrates!

And welcome to newcomers -it's really great and life changing place.