Notices

Why I went back out and how was it like, a short explanation.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why I went back out and how was it like, a short explanation.

So hi folks, I really went back out drank after over 20 months of sobriety.
What lead me to do this? It was clear decision, but the motive was purely scientific. I did not drink to get high actually, but to verify something I've been interested of seeing in practise.

I've studied quite a bit on caffeine, and so have found testimonials of people, well, real people yet anecdotal cases, where people with sobriety over 6 months from caffeine have lost the compulsion to drink and became normal drinkers again. I know this sounds really unexpected and it would defy the logic carried with the idea of alcoholism. Any drug can be addicting, and alcohol is a drug. However I was keenly intrigued by these testimonials and ideas and decided to run a clinical test, which of course contained a big element of risk with it.

The drinking didn't make me crazy or cause me to seek additional alcohol, that normally for me would have lead to a bender of weeks long possibly. But I only drank for 2 days, and the second day was milder than the first.
Still, no sign of an av or any compulsive thinking toward alcohol, which is surprising but might not yet tell the whole story of what is to come.

Also, my drinking didn't continue from the was it was and used to be. Although it was similar on the first day of drinking.

I did this in the name of science, and I was willing to pay the price had my hypothesis been wrong. We will just see that...
Old 03-13-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Drinking in the name of science, hmm...well, that's a pretty creative one.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unix, I think you might be playing with fire.

Clinical trials are conducted by trained professionals and involve usually hundreds or thousands of subjects.

I think this could be your AV convincing you that you can drink in moderation and that all along it was just the caffeine to blame, not the alcohol.

Be careful
Old 03-13-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

You get the award for "best excuse".
Old 03-13-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was going to say something , but I think Brynn's reply is sufficient ..
Old 03-13-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like your mind wants to drink, and it is simply creating justifications and reasons to make it ok, I did the same when I convinced myself time after time to try to moderate my drinking, went round and round that merry-go-round for far too long!!

The other day you started a thread that mentioned you wanted to drink, and after that you had a spite against God because your life hadn't gotten any better since becoming Sober, with all that in mind it sounds like your fishing for excuses, you gotta be honest with yourself.

But seriously, the science of caffeine addiction being used to justify moderate alcohol consumption?? . . . really??
Old 03-13-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
The drinking didn't make me crazy...
Really. I read the posts to SR you wrote during your drinking experiment. I tend to disagree. They've been removed from the boards, so you can't go back and read. But they made only a little less sense than you are making now.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Incoming!!!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I am confused because I still don't understand what you are trying to learn that we don't already know.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 03-13-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Really. I read the posts to SR you wrote during your drinking experiment. I tend to disagree. They've been removed from the boards, so you can't go back and read. But they made only a little less sense than you are making now.
Yeah, I read some of those too and it didn't sound like you were in a good place, Unix. Not sure if you remember what you typed and at this point, I don't think it really matters.

Do you really, deep down, think caffeine was really the issue? I know for me that adrenaline is a HUGE trigger, but I know that adrenaline isn't responsible for all my problems with drinking.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Unix i am going to be 20 months tomorrow as of 12am in 3 hours

im not sure you realise your AV is in the driving seat you said day 2 of drinking and no AV ?

Unix you were drinking and couldnt stop plus with the added knowledge of knowing your a alcoholic and you know where it leads

im not asking what the real reason was and dont believe the experient idea you proposed as the reason for drinking

i truly believe to learn from this you need to be honest with yourself not us as this is your recovery and were here to support that

I know how hard the 20 months have been ive had bad days too but no matter what i didnt drink i reached out anytime i feel a change in me im wise enough to be aware of it and do something about it

Dont let this take you back to the dark days of drinking
Old 03-13-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have an extra pair of hip waders if anyone needs them, size 7 ladies.

weren't you the person who started a thread on the *DANGERS* of chamomile tea?
Old 03-13-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Please UB...allow me to blow your theory clean out of the water by example.

I'am clean of caffiene since August of last year...over 7 months and I drink more (alcohol) now than I did then.

Feel free to use this "Data" to formulate your hypothesis on this subject. After all. it isnt flawed. It's concrete.

Just saying.

DD
Old 03-13-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm very new here & I'm not an alcoholic, but a drug addict ( after reading 100's of posts on, it seems to me that we're nearly one in the same. )
My husband and I quit 6mos ago & just told me that he relapsed a mo. ago...said he thought he could just use heroin recreationally! Ha! Yea right!!!
And I actually did quit caffeine too ( coffee & pop ) @ the same time, but not to conduct a scientific experience but because I have PTSD & didn't want to rely on benzodiazepines, like I had for the prior 10yrs. ( no cure for PTSD, but sure helped w/some of the shakes for me. )
Good luck in your sobriety!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I'm with Carl on this Unix....you were most likely blackout drunk when you were posting the other night. So much so that entire threads were deleted. If anything your experiment proved exactly the opposite of what you are proposing here.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
you were most likely blackout drunk when you were posting the other night. So much so that entire threads were deleted. If anything your experiment proved exactly the opposite of what you are proposing here.
This is absolutely true. It was a mess, Unix.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm lost.
"I've studied quite a bit on caffeine, and so have found testimonials of people, well, real people yet anecdotal cases, where people with sobriety over 6 months from caffeine have lost the compulsion to drink and became normal drinkers again. I know this sounds really unexpected and it would defy the logic carried with the idea of alcoholism. Any drug can be addicting, and alcohol is a drug. However I was keenly intrigued by these testimonials and ideas and decided to run a clinical test, which of course contained a big element of risk with it."
Not sure I understand what " real people yet anecdotal cases" means.

"where people with sobriety over 6 months from caffeine have lost the compulsion to drink and became normal drinkers again. "
Lost me here,too. Sober from caffiene?

Rationalization- giving an acceptable excuse ( the name of science) for unacceptable behavior( drinking in the name of science)- a form of insanity.

Unix, there's one thing I thoroughly believe-
Recovering alcoholics, whether they know it or not, are members of a pretty huge club-
the Old Bullshi**rs Club.

Yer gonna have to work real hard to get any of us to believe yer drinking in the name of science.

I sure hope ya get it from your head to your heart rel quick that there's some serious delusional thinking happening with ya.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've been part of a clinical test/ trial.Done in a controlled environment monitored by professionals.
What you're doing is NOT a clinical test.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Double post