Notices

Where did you do most of your drinking??

Old 10-01-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where did you do most of your drinking??

During my college years and 20's, I always had plenty of people around to go for a few drinks. Drinks after work, drinks at parties with friends, pubs etc.

Then as I got to 30, co-workers/friends got married/kids, stopped coming out so I drank at home alone on the couch. My girlfriend at the time lived an hour away so I had 4-5 nights a week alone.

My apartment was littered with vodka bottles hidden in closets/cupboards and I wouldn't clean unless I had to.

This was my sanctuary to get loaded. I know others who use a car or a garage or a shed.

How the rest of you? Where was you sanctuary?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know, I used to throw a lot of expensive parties and often our house would be the "after party" house to go to for more drinking fun. I think I wanted to keep my drinking as "normalized" as possible, so I made sure I was "the party scene." What is funny that now that I have been sober a year and my husband has all but quit in support of me, we both realize how introverted we really are and the party scene is not naturally a part of who we are at all.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anywhere, I was like Sam I am, having discovered the joys of green eggs and ham.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Weekdays at home, after work doing chores all the way to passing out on the couch. Weekends began early at home, often ending up at a bar or club.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

At home, alone, always.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

20's bars
30's home and bars
40's everywhere, took a cooler with me and had a fridge everywhere I needed one for Ice Cold Beer. If there was not beer there, I brought it, or did not go.

DoubleDragon, We are also finding we are introverts and having parties and being in the drinking social scene is simply not who we are. I think it is o.k. We are supposed to be social, but how social? I think booze was the lubricant to quell the anxiety of being social when in fact I wanted to be outside doing something else either alone or with my family.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

My last three years of drinking (out of 35) were at home. I had become a brooding, secluded drunk.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mostly at home because I was afraid of what I might say or do if I was out in public. Seemed safer here.

Didn't keep me away from the telephone or the Internet though, unfortunately.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my teens and early 20's I drank occasionally when I went out, never alone and very rarely in my home even with friends.

Late 20's and early 30's: I got into traveling a lot, both by myself and with friends (always one friend at a time) and I drank most often on those trips. Especially when I traveled with a friend: I made these elaborate plans where to go, who to pull into my travel fantasies and go with, and many of these had all sorts of pretty hedonistic elements including, of course, a lot of binge drinking. Or sometimes have the friends visit me for a weekend where I lived and do the same. These years I always registered as lots of fun... But in the end, I started drinking at home alone as well.

In the last ~3 years of my career, I drank exclusively at home and alone, I was very isolated then and I cared less and less about the external world. "Alone" physically but usually hooked on the internet and communicating with these friends of mine or strangers from the web - so my "traveling fantasies" had become mostly virtual and less and less in touch with reality.

It was clearly a progressive process.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At home from about 5pm onwards. Would have a glass when giving my son his tea (terrible I know) and then more when he was in bed. Every day
Old 10-01-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was 18 I joined the Army. So me and all the other 18 year olds who were on our own for the first pretty much drank and got high with all of our money. After being discharged it was Friday nights at the bar with friends but, I was already drinking to get drunk not to socialize. As time progressed it became more and more of a solitary pleasure. Occasionally I would have a few beers with others. In the end was just me and my booze.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
At home, alone, always.
Ditto. No worries about looking like an idiot in public, plus you could buy lots more booze for the same amount of money as you'd spend when drinking at a bar or wherever.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Home. Stay away from people that way, but then all those empties just sit there staring at you. "Yes you did drink all of me."
Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I never could drink as much when I went out as I could on my own at home in front of the TV, so going out used to be an expensive hassle, I couldn't wait to get back home and crack open a bottle of something stronger.

After years of drinking alone and going to bed drunk each night, a serious red flag was brewing in my mind!!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

At home mainly...

I recently did a little tally of how much I would have spent in the last 10 days on alcohol... well its almost in the triple digits... now I can spend my money on other stuff. Plus all the 6 pack cardboard holders I would have in the beer fridge would just pile up until I threw them away. I havent opened that beer fridge in 10 days, even though our second freezer is the door above the beer fridge. I will eventually get to cleaning that out, but for now, I will leave it closed.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
My last three years of drinking (out of 35) were at home. I had become a brooding, secluded drunk.
Doggonecarl we has something in common! LOL
Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I actually had a spare debit card that my local landlord kept behind the bar. They knew the pin so at the end of the night would clear my tab. Reflecting on this as no actual money changed hands I never worried how much I drank!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
20's bars
30's home and bars
40's everywhere, took a cooler with me and had a fridge everywhere I needed one for Ice Cold Beer. If there was not beer there, I brought it, or did not go.

DoubleDragon, We are also finding we are introverts and having parties and being in the drinking social scene is simply not who we are. I think it is o.k. We are supposed to be social, but how social? I think booze was the lubricant to quell the anxiety of being social when in fact I wanted to be outside doing something else either alone or with my family.
Yes, I believe I have Social Anxiety Disorder so I needed the booze to socialize. I was quiet and shy around people so without booze I was out of the conversation.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I always drink at home. I used to drink and drive. I didn't want to hurt anyone. I just thought I was invincible. That all changed when I was driving in a blackout. I came out of the blackout and a state trooper was chasing me and a construction worker was jumping over the front of my car. I didn't hit the construction worker but it was pure luck that I didn't. I never drove drunk again.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I always drank at home alone.