Notices

Where did you do most of your drinking??

Old 10-01-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

For many, many, many years, I drank out with people, and then I came home and finished up the night at home with whatever I had in the house. Near the end of my wine career, I started to seclude myself, drinking at home alone and turning down social engagements because I started to worry I would not have ENOUGH to drink if there were others around, and I was no longer convinced I would get home without killing someone. I really didn't care about killing myself too much at that point, but the idea of hurting/killing someone else was enough to keep me home. And, I really did prefer to drink alone. How sad.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Last few years at home alone always. Perched in my recliner staring blindly at the television not remembering anything I watched. Smoking all the while too..Ughh...
Old 10-01-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I did most of my drinking at home. It got to the point at the end that much of it was either in my bedroom or on one corner of the sofa (I try to avoid that corner now when I can).
Old 10-01-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

At home. Would hide the bottle in my work bag. Whenever the family was in a different part of the house I would tip toe sprint to my bag and take a slug of captain.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Classic, LOL.

I sat and talked with a guy on a plane one time, he drank two sips of a can of pre-mix rum and coke to my four cans.

I just wanted to scream at him "are you gonna drink that bloody thing... Or what?".... "if not, give it to me cause I sure will"

Drinkers should be made to carry a "drinking status card" and then we could show cards before commencing to drink with each other. I reckon that would save much wailing and gnashing of teeth
For my business flights I would buy some vodka at the duty free and order cans of orange juice on the flights to mix my heavy screwdrivers. I'd just pour my own when my seat neighbours weren't looking. It's not that I couldn't pay ordering them from the attendants, it's that they didn't come fast enough!

As clarity grows, I am amazed actions like this (and many others) I saw as perfectly normal at the time. Beyond simply the effect of the alcohol, I am cursed with a bit of an attitude that I should be able to do whatever I want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. A bad combination. It was hurting me.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
For many, many, many years, I drank out with people, and then I came home and finished up the night at home with whatever I had in the house. Near the end of my wine career, I started to seclude myself, drinking at home alone and turning down social engagements because I started to worry I would not have ENOUGH to drink if there were others around, and I was no longer convinced I would get home without killing someone. I really didn't care about killing myself too much at that point, but the idea of hurting/killing someone else was enough to keep me home. And, I really did prefer to drink alone. How sad.
Same!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

My favorite place was drinking alone, with music, surfing the web and playing movies. I would get these massive mind explosions about what the director meant, or how cool this song is. I would plan to write a book about this, connecting the idea to major literary themes. As my plans grew bigger and bigger, i'd keep pouring more and more into my glass. i'd have to go into the dark room to get the bottle, because i lived with others. I never left empties around, got them out of the house within hours of emptying them.
The next day i'd be sick and tired, my big plans sounded stoopid when i remembered them or read them from my scribbles. I'd nurse my hangover, then schlep off to my brainless job on monday. But i never followed up on my big plans, i satisfied myself with my drinking highs. I wonder if i coulda been a contender if i didn't do the up-down alkie rollercoaster.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by razor15 View Post
For my business flights I would buy some vodka at the duty free and order cans of orange juice on the flights to mix my heavy screwdrivers. I'd just pour my own when my seat neighbours weren't looking. It's not that I couldn't pay ordering them from the attendants, it's that they didn't come fast enough!

As clarity grows, I am amazed actions like this (and many others) I saw as perfectly normal at the time. Beyond simply the effect of the alcohol, I am cursed with a bit of an attitude that I should be able to do whatever I want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. A bad combination. It was hurting me.
Sounds familiar. We are a crazy bunch

I loved half empty flights ... get into a row by myself & just go for it.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

At home, on the rare occasions I did go out I would make sure I had some at home for when I got in to finish the job before I went to bed, Madness
Old 10-01-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Well, I guess somebody has to be the random data point on the graph.

I primarily drank at work. Legally (lol). In fact, I basically got paid to drink.

Aside from that, bars, restaurants, and home sometimes, but more just for hair of the dog or a pregame deal.

Toward the end, my tolerance was shot and I was getting sloppy ... so rather than confine myself to drinking at home, missing the action and all my friends - I quit drinking. But I quit work and bars and old stomping grounds and "bad habit" friends as well, so I'm paying my own tithe in that regard.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

RD-what was your job?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

At home, until I took a job that required me take customers out drinking. Then I'd imbibe everywhere sun-sat. I've developed a keen sense for my customers who have drinking problems.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

At home and preferably alone, sometimes with my boyfriend who can drink normally until he noticed how bad I was.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by roguedreams View Post
Well, I guess somebody has to be the random data point on the graph.

I primarily drank at work. Legally (lol). In fact, I basically got paid to drink.

Aside from that, bars, restaurants, and home sometimes, but more just for hair of the dog or a pregame deal.

Toward the end, my tolerance was shot and I was getting sloppy ... so rather than confine myself to drinking at home, missing the action and all my friends - I quit drinking. But I quit work and bars and old stomping grounds and "bad habit" friends as well, so I'm paying my own tithe in that regard.
Wow, like to see THAT workman's comp claim.....
Old 10-02-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

When I first started I drank mostly with others, and over the years it shifted to drinking at home alone. I quit going out to drink with others in my early 30's. So from about age 31 or 32 to age 36 when I quit, I mostly drank alone.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Always at home.

Single apartment, up off the street. Nobody can knock on the front door.
In the city, plenty of liquor stores in easy walking distance.....so you can rotate between them for resupply.

Whole living arrangements constructed around drinking...
Old 10-02-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Wow, makes me look back at how I've withdrawn more and more into my own alcoholic routine. Hadn't really thought about it. But my favorite way to spend time has become alone (with alcohol). Learning so much in two days on this site.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
I did most of my drinking at home. It got to the point at the end that much of it was either in my bedroom or on one corner of the sofa (I try to avoid that corner now when I can).
I just realized I don't sit in my "spot" either. And I never realized it until I read this, josharon.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Ninety-nine percent of my drinking was at home after work until I passed out. Bars were expensive and I had to drink soooooo slowly! I also knew I never wanted a DUI so home was safe. That darn Facebook though allowed the embarrassment to go public.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

Oh FB.... Almost all my drinking was done alone but FB allowed me to embarrass myself royally. Waking up with a hangover and running to the computer to survey (and hopefully fix) the damage. Some things just couldn't be undone or fixed. :O