Notices

Where did you do most of your drinking??

Old 10-01-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

We had a HUGE drinking culture in our neighborhood - so a "party" or 5 dinking buddies were never hard to find come Thursday evening straight through the weekend. We latched on to eachother because it was our "normal", polishing off copious amounts of alcohol around fire pits while our children slept. We actually would bring baby monitors down the street.

I tended to drink with the boys because they could keep up with me. The ladies bowed out and went to bed early, and I would put it away with the big dogs until the sun rose. That got me in precarious situations more than I care to remember. Not my finest moments.

But when I couldn't find any takers, I would just sit on the couch and drank myself into black out.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

At home, alone. I tried to drink socially, but people kept putting the booze away after two rounds. So I wrote those people off and just majored in it myself.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
We had a HUGE drinking culture in our neighborhood - so a "party" or 5 dinking buddies were never hard to find come Thursday evening straight through the weekend. We latched on to eachother because it was our "normal", polishing off copious amounts of alcohol around fire pits while our children slept. We actually would bring baby monitors down the street.

I tended to drink with the boys because they could keep up with me. The ladies bowed out and went to bed early, and I would put it away with the big dogs until the sun rose. That got me in precarious situations more than I care to remember. Not my finest moments.

But when I couldn't find any takers, I would just sit on the couch and drank myself into black out.
Almost the thought of drinking until the sun comes up again brings on a hangover lol. Used to go on many gambling trips in which we would stay out all night then go to sleep for 3 hours or so when the sun comes up, and then start the morning (yeah probably no later than 10 am) with bloody mary's again. Then down to the pool for beer and passing out, and then back to gambling. Just the thought of doing that anymore brings a little disgust.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I drank during the evening when I was at home alone with nothing but a big bottle of vodka to distract me from my negative thoughts. I almost never drank in public because then someone might actually think that I had a problem with the stuff.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I drank wherever I was, whenever it was. The bulk of my drinking was done at home, but I always started out the day with a few beers at a local microbrew pub after work. Then I'd pick up some beer on the way home and start drinking there. No matter where I went in the evenings or weekends I would bring beer with me just in case where I was headed didn't have alcohol available. I would literally sneak out of evening activties at church, school meetings, etc and chug a beer or two out in the parking lot. I always had at least a 6 pack in the trunk of my car, sometimes i'd even keep a cooler in there with ice so they were cold. Then i would drink when I got home until I passed out and start all over again the next day.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

Late teens/very early twenties - at home, on my bed, with takeout all around me and my music (I guess there was no internet for me then - probably a good thing). I would call in to work, and then do all of that. If I was out, I would put vodka in a McDonalds cup with fruitopia...go to the library or somewhere, and drink and drink... (I lived at home, so strangely enough, the only "safe" time to drink at home was during the day when people were out, or WAY late at night, like 2am, when people had gone to bed)

20's - I drank at college! I would just sit in a chair and drink, or in the computer lab. Once I moved out on my own, I could also drink at night. I also went on a leave of absence from work, and never returned (mainly anxiety and other mental health issues) so, I would stay at home and drink. Sometimes I had roommates who didn't mind... so I could get up around noon, drink my ass off, hang out with them, drink some more...

30's - Still don't have a job. My 'safe' haven for drinking has been in my room, at my desk, in front of my computer and internet (internet + booze = SUCH A BAD IDEA). Just me, all alone, how I like it. So sad.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

At home alone when nobody else was home and in my car alone when someone was home. Pathetic !!!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Home alone or hid the amount I actually drank by having one or two with friends and sneeking some in the kitchen in private
Old 10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mainly at home
Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I did most of my drinking at home either alone or with friends.... I was always already drinking when friends showed up. If I went to other peoples homes or to bars I was also already drinking when I got there. When we went to all night dance parties I always made sure I had beer for when we got home so I could come down off drugs with some more drinks! What went good with beer? MORE BEER!
Old 10-01-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
At home, alone. I tried to drink socially, but people kept putting the booze away after two rounds. So I wrote those people off and just majored in it myself.
I know those people! Reading this reminded me;
Years back - new friends - wife & I went to visit at their house a few miles away.
I Brought a couple bottles of wine as a gift for them ( yea right ), wasn't really sure of their drinking habits but knew that they did imbibe. Checked that out......

New friends had a bottle opened already - want some? Sure, of course!

One glass of wine per person. Sat and talked for a few hours without an offer of any more!!!! The nerve of these people! Finally the night ended.......

Wow.....So, perhaps they weren't great hosts, but my fixation on OPEN MY DAMN WINE NOW was incredible!
Can't remember their names....never went back.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
I know those people! Reading this reminded me;
Years back - new friends - wife & I went to visit at their house a few miles away.
I Brought a couple bottles of wine as a gift for them ( yea right ), wasn't really sure of their drinking habits but knew that they did imbibe. Checked that out......

New friends had a bottle opened already - want some? Sure, of course!

One glass of wine per person. Sat and talked for a few hours without an offer of any more!!!! The nerve of these people! Finally the night ended.......

Wow.....So, perhaps they weren't great hosts, but my fixation on OPEN MY DAMN WINE NOW was incredible!
Can't remember their names....never went back.
Classic, LOL.

I sat and talked with a guy on a plane one time, he drank two sips of a can of pre-mix rum and coke to my four cans.

I just wanted to scream at him "are you gonna drink that bloody thing... Or what?".... "if not, give it to me cause I sure will"

Drinkers should be made to carry a "drinking status card" and then we could show cards before commencing to drink with each other. I reckon that would save much wailing and gnashing of teeth
Old 10-01-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The question isn't, "where did I drink" . . the question is, "where DIDN'T I drink"

rim shot

I would drink out with people, but I had less friends after awhile and it was just safer for everyone if I drank at home. Plus it was a lot cheaper, I gotta say, that was a big concern, the cost.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was a solitary drinker, 95% of the time i just drank alone at home - at my apartment. I'd say about 70% of the drinking time was spent at my desk or in front of my computer. The other 30% was spent in front of the TV, living room, on the couch, outside on the patio, etc.

It was great for passing the time or enjoying my shows more............... not so great for my health as i am finding out!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Classic, LOL.

I sat and talked with a guy on a plane one time, he drank two sips of a can of pre-mix rum and coke to my four cans.

I just wanted to scream at him "are you gonna drink that bloody thing... Or what?".... "if not, give it to me cause I sure will"

Drinkers should be made to carry a "drinking status card" and then we could show cards before commencing to drink with each other. I reckon that would save much wailing and gnashing of teeth
A pre mixed can of rum and coke? I have never heard of that.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I was a solitary drinker, 95% of the time i just drank alone at home - at my apartment. I'd say about 70% of the drinking time was spent at my desk or in front of my computer. The other 30% was spent in front of the TV, living room, on the couch, outside on the patio, etc.

It was great for passing the time or enjoying my shows more............... not so great for my health as i am finding out!
Hope your health turns around! I know a lot of people have posted their health got much better after getting dry... Hope you can find that same success.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello:

Wherever... Never alone though and now that I am becoming familiar with the alcoholism terminology I realize that I was also sneaking in drinks, like take a little swig here and there. Or go to the kitchen and have one by myself. I would even get swigs from one of my friend's drink as a joke. We would just chug each other's full beer or half of it at least and think it's funny that we stole some. The curious thing is that I never ever drank alone, I think I did just once in my whole life. The other thing is that days would go by and I wouldn't have a drink but when I did I had a lot! It was also progressing and getting worse. I was starting to drink more and more often the last year since I stopped nursing my daughter. And the hangovers were getting worse and worse. It was disgusting how I knew that I was going to be hung over the next day but I still didn't care.

Yuck!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
A pre mixed can of rum and coke? I have never heard of that.

Google "Bundy and Cola " in google images
Old 10-01-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

My temptation is completely around bars. I have a drinking problem, but fortunately I am not really tempted to drink at home. I realize alcohol is progressive though.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I drank mostly at home. I start looking for a glass of wine around 5.but I drank every time I went out with friends at dinner at parties .i never did not drink. I still am trying to be a casual drinker .not drinking during the week unless I occasionally go out to dinner. Also not drinking on Sundays. I find that I am feeling so much better when I wake p and I am getting a lot more done around the house at night instead of sitting on the couch drinking.