Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Calling all WEEKENDERS to the Weekend Menagerie Thread July 18-20

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weasel will be off in the wilderness (searching for his inner animal). I volunteered to help out the weekender thread. I hope I don’t muck this up
If I could come back in another life as a dog, I’d want to be a Labrador retriever, a yellow lab. They are the happy fun loving types who bring joy to those around them.
Did you ever think about that? “If I could come back as a dog I would be a _____________.”

Have you ever been sitting in despair somewhere and you see a bird fly off and think to yourself, I wish I could just fly away? Unfortunately, we can’t just fly away from our troubles. But we can imagine ourselves flying at times. If you were a bird, what kind of bird would you be?

Could you describe yourself as any animal during your addiction? What animal do you want to become when free from your addiction?

Just as a caterpillar emerges from its cocoon to become a beautiful monarch butterfly, we too go through a metamorphosis as we recover. Many of us have been stuck in our cocoons for a long time. Or maybe we are still caterpillars - TIME TO GET TO WORK.

What do you imagine yourself to be when you finally emerge from your cocoon?

As you go through the weekend think how your life has or will change. Think of the new animal you want to become. A ferocious shark turned into an inquisitive dolphin? The cowardly lion who has finally found courage? Where you a hamster stuck on that perpetual wheel inside your cage?
Hope to see some more newcomers joining us – tell us about yourself or use the animal analogy to describe yourself. Or just say hello I’m new. Tell us your weekend score. 1st, 2nd

What were you, what are you now, and what do you want to become?

Hop on board everyone. *RING-RING* >TOOT-TOOT< Bring along your animal instinct. We’ll even accept cats if you must – I’ll take Benadryl just in case.

Climb aboard the weekender ARC and sail with us to sobriety this weekend.

And, as always, share whatever you want or need to help us all get through the weekend together. Looking forward to some good pics and postcards.

Recovery-------------------Rebirth---------------------Rebuild---------------------Refocus----------------Redefine

STAY SOBER MY FRIENDS
Old 07-17-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Shotgun!

If I was a dog I'd be a Shepherd.

If I was a bird I'd be a penguin.

If I was a hammer, I'd hammer all morning...

If I could be any kind of animal I would be a beaver because whenever their environment doesn't suit them, they change it.

Lets have a great weekend all!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bring some bacon along for everyone.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This weekend it's so important, it will be my first weekend sober at least in 2014, if I want to remember a weeked sober I would have to go back to 2012 I think.

Let's do this!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Awesome PhilDuck! Thanks for joining us!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Let's do this Weekenders!!

I definitely had many sheep in my mind when I first got Sober, I couldn't sleep for anything, counting them was my new full time job!!

. . . and now?! . . . just watch me go!!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome MrPhilDuck (I like that name). Thanks for joining us and make this a weekend to remember - by not drinking.

Almost forgot to send out a well wish for the folks in Washington State and Oregon that may be affected by the fires. We are all praying for you.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I could be a dog I'd be a German Shepherd. They are intelligent, courageous, highly loyal, and fully dependable.

If I were a bird, I'd be a great blue heron. I think they're elegant--and they are shrewd. They always get the fish!

I think when I was an addict I used to be like an old dog I used to have, an American Eskimo. I was kind of nuts in my reactions to things, like barking my head off at the Christmas tree; yet if i was scolded I'd roll over onto my stomach and quiver like a jelly.

I would like to be sound, free, and independent like a--like I don't know.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hello Conductor LBrain and thanks for bring the weekend to the forefront of my consciousness! LOVE the Weekenders thread.

If I were a dog, I would be a Border Collie. Happily running all over like a crazy animal with a serious smile on my face while herding the crew and keeping everything in-line.

Or if I were a dog, I would be a Deer Hound living in the exurbs. Long graceful limbs, carefully not over-exercised in the first 2 years of life to preserve the hip joints. Genuinely content to plop myself down on the cool floor over an air-conditioning vent for comfort while all my siblings and cousins are out stalking deer.

Thus I would be a fascinating mutt with an extensive inner life and interesting sense of self.

YaY Weekenders! Welcome new SRers and hop on the vehicle. Grateful for all of you and this sober-saving weekend pastime.

Hah Ha! Nonsensical...you would definitely not be a pig in any of your lifetimes

**This is my sober weekend #12 (?) so far. Could not have done it without you all. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Good luck PhilDuck. My first sober weekend was last weekend, and it was camping around bonfires with friends who were drinking. Yikes!

If I could come back as a dog, it would be a Pomeranian. I get carried around, patted, babied, and spoiled, plus I get to bark at anything I want. I also get to ride in the front seat.

If I was a bird, it would be a loon. Best songs, and cute fuzzy babies ride the parents' backs. Plus I'm a bit looney. *rimshot* Or maybe a peacock. Love the outfits.

Addicted animal....believe it or not, a Lab. I will eat a full bowl of food, then go throw up so I can eat more. Continue until I'm so tired I pass out or go to bed. Plus I'd try to hump everybody's leg.

Non addicted animal? How about a fox. Not the biggest animal, but pretty darn smart, and one that knows how to stay out of trouble.

Weekend #2, and more challenges coming up. Local festival is on (which I used to treat as a full-time weekend drunk, like 10AM to 1 AM drunk, four days straight), and I used to love going. However, thinking about going without booze really strikes me as not that much fun. Kind of the whole point of going was drinking (which it was) with all the others who were drinking.

Funny when you're sober that you realize how much of your life was dedicated to seeking out opportunities to get hammered. I have a few reasons to go this weekend, and I will go for those.

Think I may spend a little less time there this year.

DING! DING!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm in!!!
Come back as a dog?
I would be my dog....Australian Shepard. He is the happiest dog on the planet!
I could herd all those sheep for you, Purple!

I am off to the islands this weekend! About to leave soon to catch the ferry. Have tomorrow off from work. I do believe I have internet access, so I will hopefully be checking in periodically. I have postcards from Gilmer to post!!!
Crabbing season starts today!

Back to packing....

Thanks for taking over Brain!

Be well all!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

maybe a peacock - love the outfits. lol
way to go sparky - #2
Old 07-17-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Reporting for Weekend Menagerie duty!!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not quite the weekend for me yet, so just preregistering for my 7th sober weekend.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome MrPhilDuck, I've found this thread to be an awesome way to stay sober and accountable over the weekends.

I have never had dogs so I would say I would come back as my cat. Comfy chairs to nap on whenever I feel like it, food, nice people to hang out and pet me. A back yard to roam around in and play. Napping whenever I feel like it. Oh, I said that - probably because I need a nap.

I'd like to be an owl, flying soundlessly in the night. Plus, I could rotate my head.

So not shotgun again. Thinking ahead to the weekend. I took tomorrow off and I took next Wednesday, Thursday and friday off. I don't have anything planned. I just feel like taking a break. My mother is taking the kids tonight to sleep over. Hopefully I don't get a text at 5:30 saying that my daughter can't possibly sleep overnight at Grandma's because she misses mommy and isn't feeling well. The little stinker pulled that one last Friday so we are trying again tonight. Unfortunately I think she heard me mention to Mr. Ruby that we could go out to dinner. Little Miss doesn't like being left out of the fun and has been known to cry "my tummy hurts" when she wants to be in on the action.

Time to get some work done in preparation so I will check in later. No kids. No one to drive me crazy tonight.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekend .
Old 07-17-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm in. I have no idea what I'll be when I grow up.

Brain, where's Pinky?
Old 07-17-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Woo hoo!!!! Great job LB!

I will answer your questions in a few.

Checked in... Great place. My toilet overflowed (clean water second flush!) my electronic key stopped working and had to go back across the compound to the office.... And now the power went out when the AC went off. All in just a few hours.

I went to the front desk and let them know that I am not a fan of these sorts and the fourth event will certainly drive me to another location. Yes I was a jerk. The toilet pissed me off.

Ok... In with the good clean Maine air!

I have no real issues with it all. Stuff happens... The view is really great! Picture below. I am going to get up early to see the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain. And thunder hole is awesome!

Happy weekend team! Thank you LB for your thoughtful start.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I’m definitely in – Thanks Brain!!

If I could be a dog, I would also be my dog, Charlee. He’s a lab chow mix, smart and loyal but also relaxed. He follows me around the house but isn't clingy. Just moves to the room I’m in. His presence is a silent comfort. He’s also a lot of fun and watching him run through the woods in pure joy is a feeling I wish I could capture. Oh, and he has cool different colored eyes – I would like that too.

Ruby – I’d like to be an owl with you. We could have such fun silently flying in the forest!

I’m on my 13th weekend – lucky 13!