Notices

Alcoholic 15 years. need advice.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic 15 years. need advice.

have gone close to 15 years without a day of not drinking. use to be beer, now for the last year wine. I drink a 4 liter box of wine in 2-3 days. I have constant diarrhea, dizzy, cant sleep unless under the influence, (if i do try to sleep sober i get jolts, my body jumps) and I am ALWAYS tired with a bit of dizziness.

I am also a pack a day smoker.

I know I need help but how far along am I to not have to check into a hospital etc, as I need to keep my job. Any suggestions on over the counter meds anything. thanks.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey malavijuraii, Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! . . . we can't really give medical advice here, if you're experiencing physical symptoms it might be best checking in with a Dr to get the treatment you need, it's the only way to be safe!!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you malavijuraii. You've come to the right place for help - we all understand how you're feeling.

I drank twice as long as you. I kept insisting I could learn to manage it and still have fun with it. In the end, I was drinking all day & I had no control once it was in my system. I'm glad you've recognized that it needs to stop. As Purpleknight said, it's best to have your doctor's advice. Keep posting and let us now how you're doing.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're in the right place. Like Hevyn said make a dr. appt. You may not need to take time off work to get sober if you start now. You can do it and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel in a short time.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

when i was in your postion i had a business to run and i soon gave up on the business as it got in the way of my drinking time
i know lots of people who ended up losing there jobs as they simply couldn't stop drinking,
i found these people in aa meetings and when i heard them share there own experiences i knew i was just like them and i got the help i needed

so i can only suggest giving aa a try
good luck to you
Old 06-23-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome malavijuraii
Like others have said we can;t give you medical advice here.

If you've been daily drinking that long you really need to see a Dr.

They'll make some suggestions.

You won't be forced into anything

D
Old 06-23-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it, I can tell already I can find support here.

I just talked to my wife and am setting up a doctors appointment. I know no one can give medial advice and I am trying to go in the right direction, but I know I cannot just quit (fearful of seizure) I do not know if my body is at this point, but need advice to cope until I can see my doctor. may be a couple weeks.

again symptoms include if i turn in a certain direction i pull muscles in my side, always tired, dizzy, always hungry. I just want to know from someone who was where I am at how bad my body may be. Not so I can say "well iam not that bad, will just continue to drink" I want to know so I am informed properly with my doctor. sometimes my doctor is stubborn in his opinion as to what he feels I need, he is also 70+ and forgetful.

so what helped in stopping drinking? I work full time and have never been a day drinker, just when I get home from work until I need to fall asleep. what medications worked? thanks for everyone's time. I really appreciate it.

sorry for so many questions, I just need answers. tired of feeling sick and tired.

Last edited by malavijuraii; 06-23-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: alot of questions
Old 06-23-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, if you don't trust your dr, I would strongly advise you to find another one. It's important to have someone whose advice you accept. We are all different from each other, and what one person can bounce back from, another person may not. You are doing the right thing by going to see the dr.

I found that early evening was the worst time for me. So, I began getting out of the house right after supper and walking for miles. It was the best thing I did to help break the habit and to make me feel better physically and spiritually.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by malavijuraii View Post

I know I need help but how far along am I to not have to check into a hospital etc, as I need to keep my job.
I think that most all States and Countries now days make it mandatory that employers can not fire someone because they go to treatment. A quick call to your company Employee Assistance Program will answer this question.

Most employers are happy to see us go into treatment, as it seems that in most cases we have not been fooling them as we thought.

Mountainman
Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome malavijuraii, your story sounds a lot like where I was at about two years ago. This site help me tremendously. I joined one of the monthly quit threads here on this site, read a lot and did everything I could to change my routine of drinking after work. (I was a wine drinker too, cranberry juice and 7up replaced my wine drink early on) Please go see your doctor asap, they will be able to help you with the detox withdrawal symptoms.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, you should indeed see a doctor. There are a lot of us around here with similar DAILY habits and most of us needed professional medical help. I recommend strongly that you see your doctor - it's a lot nicer to set an appointment and walk in under your own power than to be driven there in an ambulance.

Don't be frightened, you can get through this. But seeing a medical professional is the right thing to do here, and they can get you off to a good start. Follow up with support groups, or just stick here on SR. Read around, check out the threads, you'll see it's a very active community and we are here to help out. Be well.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope you can see a doctor sooner than two weeks. Tell him you're quitting drinking and need help to get safely thru the withdrawals.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Your level of drinking is almost exactly what mine was when I quit. I would see a doctor, but when I quit I had very little adverse affects during withdrawal. You can do it!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank for 14 years. I binged a lot at the end so due to that I sought hospitalization for withdrawals. I spent half a day and was released but I was still a real mess for several days. The doctor is a good step, but you may have to use some vacation time to get over the drinking. I am now sober by the grace of God and fellowship of AA.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! Please do find a doctor you can trust.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Withdrawal can be a real beast. Be careful. I usually start to feel like a human after three days.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thanks everyone.