OT--More Adventures

Old 03-10-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OT--More Adventures

Went for another horseback riding lesson today--I feel like such a rank BEGINNER! But I did a little better than last time, and my teacher is great--very patient.

Now, the OTHER thing I want to do on my planned vacation to Spain in May is to rent a Vespa. I've always wanted to go tooling around the streets in Europe on one of those puppies, just like you always see in the movies.

One problem, though--I have NEVER ridden a motorcycle. Not even as a passenger--though I know a lot of guys (and a few women) in AA who are bikers, and any of them would probably be willing to take me for a ride.

So, I just registered for a two-and-a-half day motorcycle riding class for next weekend. At the end of the class they will give you the tests to get the endorsement on your license. I have no idea whether I will like it, but it would make me feel a little more confident about renting a scooter in Barcelona.

LOL, I mentioned it to my kids at Christmas and they both think mom has clearly lost her mind. I don't care--heck, I have lived such a staid existence for most of my life, and I'll be darned if I'm not gonna have a few adventures before I get too old for some of this stuff.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its so exciting that you are going on adventures! I'll admit I'm not a fan of motorcycles just because they can be so dangerous. Be careful!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

My primary mode of transportation in Thailand for three weeks was a scooter. That was a blast and I was thinking I might even buy one for home use. I could use it for most all of the little trips to the store and back. Read up on Trip Advisor for things like local hints and tips for riding/renting those things where you're going. Turned out to be great research prior to my trip.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My brother lived in Barcelona for a couple of years And loved it ! I remember him mentioning how confusing it was to navigte the roads. I think a scooter sounds like a good solution. Have fun !!! You are going to love it!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah!!! Good for you - adventures are good for the soul!! Taking the two day course is the BEST way to learn how to drive a motorcycle!! I had a motorcycle pre-kiddos... I used it to commute all summer long. I love the feel of the wind in my face

On a side note... There's nothing wrong with breaking out of the same old mold! I got two tattoos a few months ago!! It goes totally against my "professional engineer" persona... And I love it!! There I was... A 37 yo in a business getting tattooed!! Awesome! I'm glad I waited Until now to do it - I'm old enough and experienced enough to pick things with deep meaning! Three little stars interlocked on the inside of my left wrist ... Me and my two babies! And on my hipbone - a Celtic trinity for my spirit journey to balance of body, mind and spirit!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lexi!

Go for it! I can relate to "catching up" and my kids love it! But mostly I enjoy anything just because I can! It is such a wonderful feeling.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on both kinds of riding lessons! It's too bad one can't use the same helmet for both sports, alas. Sounds like a great adventure - are you going to ride (horses) in Spain too?

Longtime equestrian here - one unsolicited tip - if you find yourself getting tense while on a horse's back, remember to breathe, and smile. It goes a long way to dissipating tension for you and your horse.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, crap.

This has been bugging me all day, so let me see if I can get it out of my system.

So this weekend was the motorcycle class. It started last night (classroom instruction), and I was happy to find that in our little class of 11, one of the guys regularly attends my AA home group. We were supposed to ride today. I say "supposed to" because AAAARRRRGHHHH my alarm clock did not wake me up in time and I overslept. As in, I woke up about an HOUR AND A HALF after the class started (no lateness allowed--that was stressed last night).

I was SOOOO angry with myself. I had trouble falling asleep last night (which is rare for me), and I even got up to go to the bathroom around 4 am and told myself I could sleep for at least another hour (alarm set for 5, class started at 6:45). When I woke up and it was light in the room, I knew I was screwed.

I had rearranged my whole weekend (rescheduling a couple of other things) to do this. I did call the agency that runs the course and they said they would put me on a waiting list (along with a couple of other people who did the same thing). Still, I wanted to get the course done before May 1, when I leave on my trip to Europe. I won't be here all weekend next weekend because of a business trip I have to leave for on Sunday.

I spent all day feeling like a screwup. It is like a "dry drunk" feeling--not that I wanted to drink, but it brings back the feelings of being a loser that I always had when I WAS drinking. My brain went into the "how do I fix this" mode--I went down to the DMV to get a motorcycle permit (pay five bucks and take a written test), but my GPS took me miles out of the way to the wrong town, and I got there too late to take the test (I can take it when they open Monday). My reasoning is that ONE or more of the bikers I know in AA could at least give me a little individual instruction even if I don't get to take the course before my trip. And, in fact, I did get hold of a guy--the S.O. of a former sponsor of mine--and he has agreed to take me out next Saturday for a ride.

Somehow, I just know I am trying too hard. I am trying to wrest back control over this situation, when I should just relax.

And oversleeping this morning scared me for another reason. I have this recurring fear that I will oversleep when I need to make a presentation for work, or that I will oversleep and miss my flight for one of my business trips. All day I felt like it was one of those dreams where you keep trying to do something, and everything goes wrong. LOL, no such luck.

Actually, I don't remember the last time I overslept and missed something important--probably haven't done that since I got sober. But today just brought back all those "I effed up again" feelings that were one of my main reasons for getting sober.

And I feel a little ridiculous that I am so overreacting to it. I also had told a few people what I was doing this weekend, and I feel like an idiot telling them why I didn't. Ugh.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I understnad - I am very hard on myself when I do silly things. But I try to remember what my mom always said when I was growing up - everything happens for a reason. It seems taking the motorcycle class was not in the cards for you - maybe you would have hurt yourself then not be able to do your big trip. I"m thinking this was not the path your HP had planned for you today.
I'm still new on this site so I hope this is helpful. You have posted on a couple of my threads and I appreciate your wisdom and feedback.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh LC, I'm sorry you missed it, I know you were really looking forward to this. Try to go easy on yourself. No one is perfect, and no one is going to judge you for making an honest mistake and oversleeping. We can be so harsh on ourselves, so much more so than anyone else can be.

You've got a good plan in place to keep you on pace to meet your goal. Now let yourself relax and forgive yourself for an honest mistake.

And being a person who *has* overslept too many times (I have never been a good sleeper, ever since I was little), if you want to assuage those fears of oversleeping, I can recommend setting multiple alarms - I got an alarm app for my smart phone that lets me set multiple scheduled alarms, and it's fantastic. I've gotten better, but there was a time when I needed 4-5 alarms to wake up. And by "gotten better" I mean that I'm now down to 2-3 alarms, lol!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hey LC.

Do you know how to ride a bicycle? Riding a Vespa is much more like riding a bicycle than riding a motorcycle, honest. You just don't have to pedal and it is like you are going downhill. lol

BTW are your horseback riding lessons English or Western???

Love and hugs,
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

English. That's mostly the tack they will be using (though they supposedly have SOME Western tack available)--I figured I better brush up on the English, since I haven't ridden that way since High School!

I do have quite the tendency to overcomplicate things. I usually over plan, over prepare, over equip--any time I do something new a certain amount of my tendency toward (non-clinical, so far as I can tell) OCD comes out. LOL, the one place where it probably paid off was in my recovery--one can't over-recover (so far as I know!).

I'm sure within a day or two this will all have faded. I just find it disconcerting when something like this seems to come out of left field and get me all in a tizzy.

I appreciate the kind words. I'm just about done kicking myself, I think.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You know, CAgirl, you're probably right. Not meant to be, not this weekend. Anyway it was cold and rainy today (even sleeted briefly), so it probably would not have been a "fun" day to ride. I just got out of "acceptance" mode (which, fortunately, I am in MOST of the time), so I just need to shift gears (no motorcycle pun intended).

In fact, I DO have other things I can get accomplished this weekend--though I wasted much of today dithering over this. Plus I have three vacation days this week (use 'em or lose 'em), and I scheduled my horseback riding lesson for Tuesday, so I still have something to look forward to.

It's all good (man, I hate that expression!).
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Riding a Vespa is much more like riding a bicycle than riding a motorcycle, honest.
Yep. Most scooters have automatic transmissions so you don't have to deal with shifting. I've never driven a motorcycle and I did fine renting a scooter in Key West. I just took my time getting use to the scooter and went around a residential block a couple times before going out in traffic. And if I can survive driving a scooter in Thailand I can pass ANY test you could throw at me. Take it slow at first until you get the hang of it and in no time you'll be zipping around.

The universe isn't trying to stop you from learning, it's trying to stop you from worrying

If you ask me you should be more concerned about getting on a horse! They don't have breaks and they have a mind of their own. Never catch me on one of those things!!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey I have an idea, test drive one at a local Yamaha dealer?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, great idea, Jazz! Only one problem with that, though--a dealer won't let you take a test-drive, most likely, without a motorcycle endorsement. You need one to ride a scooter here in NJ. So I still would have to pass not only the written test but probably the road test as well. I can't imagine a dealer letting someone take a test-drive who has not been properly licensed--for liability reasons, if nothing else.

You and Laurie do make me feel a little more comfortable that I can probably handle the scooter without much experience, though. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Aww .... I'd be bummed to. (It was that darn day light savings that messed you up- my body still hasn't adjusted.)

I'm glad you've been able to let it go. I tend to obsess over things like these to- funny, my son has given me the AA passage to read on acceptance.