Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Attempting to kick opiates & My story thus far.

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, while trying to distract myself from withdrawals I found this website. My only support is my boyfriend who has never even tried opiates, so as much as he cares he doesn't quite understand. In making this post I hope to distract myself for the time being though of course replies are welcome. I have never really talked one on one with someone else who has an opiate addiction (aside from one guy, who isn't currently recovering... which just made me jealous and who didn't care about my situation much). This is probably going to be long and I don't expect anyone to read it.

I am a 22 year old female from Eastern Canada. I have finished high school, attended college for a year and held jobs. I have been an opiate addict for over two years. Almost 3 now?

A few years ago I moved in with my grandmother and grandfather as they lived closer to the college I attended (also my step dad I was living with before that is abusive). My grandmother was/is in good health, but my grandfather was sick and in pain. He was prescribed a fentanyl patch which he changed every 3 days, as well as having two 100 bottles of percocet. I have suffered from depression since I was 14. I started experimenting with drugs such as marijuana, mdma (E), shrooms, DXM, LSA, and various pills. I used mdma a lot one summer (every couple nights, alone in my room) then moved onto DXM which I did almost daily. I finally went to my doctor about depression, as ashamed as I was and was prescribed anti depressants which I then told my family about. When adjusting to my new prescription I decided to look through my grandfathers various pills. I decided to try 2 percocet. I did and I was hooked. I started to take a 3 everyday. I would go to work and think "As soon as I'm done I can go home and get high".

As time passed, the bottle he had for breakthrough pain emptied. My grandparents confronted me. I lied and said a friend must have stolen a bottle (it was really me). When more went missing they knew it was me. I went to the ER for my withdrawals and was prescribed something that knocked me out (it wasn't a benzo though). I slept for almost a week and was clean, I found it rather easy.

Then I decided "Once in awhile won't hurt". By this point my grandfather started to lock the pills up in a case in his dresser drawer. Anyone who has been addicted knows this doesn't stop you. I found the key and snuck some pills each day (even crawled on the floor while he slept to steal them), even though I KNEW he would notice. I couldn't stop.

It got to the point I was taking 17 - 20 percocet a day. Another 200 pills were gone. Needless to say I was homeless for a month. I luckily stayed at a friends for that month, while his father was gone at sea. While I stayed at this friends I fed my addiction with OLD T3's in his closet. I couldn't steal the percs anymore. I researched and realized that the fentanyl patches my grandfather was done with still contained powerful opiates (100 times stronger than morphine). Every three days I would go to my grandparents to "get clothes and see my cat", and dig the old patches out of the garbage. They were disposed of in the wrapper, then I'd rinse them off, cut them up and put a piece in between my gums and cheek. This went on for a few months. I moved back in with my grandparents, they thought I was clean. All was well. I was getting high.

Suddenly, on December 30th, 2012 my grandfather suddenly passed away from a heart attack. He was my father figure my whole life, and my drug connection. My heart was broken, but my first thought was "how will I get high". I STILL feel guilt over this to this day, but at least he died THINKING I was clean.

I knew I could use poppy seeds to get high, so I went right to that. Up until yesterday I have been using poppy seeds (A LOT of them) to get high. I couldn't afford them so I would steal them. I started staying with a guy who would buy me seeds and smokes every day. That's over now.

I now have a boyfriend who things are getting serious with, I want to settle down, finish school and have a family. I REFUSE to steal everyday to get high ANYMORE. I DO NOT want a criminal record.

Saturday, October 20th at noon was the last time that I used. 24 hours after using I start to go through withdrawal. I no longer have medical coverage. It is now 3:40am on Monday, October 22nd. Today I took 4 T1's (Which do NOT get me high at ALL) to help with the pain but I only have 2 left and $0 to buy anything more to help.

I just told my grandmother that I still live with (who is broke) that I need a doctors appointment tomorrow, but that I couldn't tell her what it was for (I don't want my family to know I'm still an addict, since they think I've been clean for awhile now). I don't know if I can get an appt, and if I do whether my doctor (who is kind of a bitch) will prescribe me anything to help withdrawals, and if she DOES if my grandmother will pay for them. I feel awful, and I know it will only get worse. I don't know if I can do it, but I REALLY want to go to a Halloween party with my boyfriend on the 27th... and I'll probably still be sick then.

Anyways that was TLDR, thanks for allowing me to vent.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you found a place to vent and I hope you also use it to get clean. Withdrawal can be a one time thing. Forget the party and if the boyfriend is for real he would rather have you off the drugs than making a party. Right now you can suffer through a week, sleep, drink lots of water, and get support and help from this forum. You are young and you can have a Great life. Only you can make that choice.

You will feel terrible, you will ache, you will want a quick fix BUT reach down into your inner being and find the will and strength to beat this once and for all. I've been there and done that. Have the flu for a week and then begin rebuilding your life. I did it cold turkey and I'll never take a chance of being in that place again. Life is good now. I like myself and more importantly I respect myself again. You can do this. You will survive and make it. Use this forum and check on NA meetings or drug counseling.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why do you want a doctor's appt? You don't need to see the doctor, your grandma and you are both broke so don't take anymore. Instead, hole up and be sick, get the crap out of your system, and you will feel better than ever before you know it. Hearing this story makes my heart hurt, as you have taken advantage of your grandparents for so long, but that is what addicts do.

Stay strong.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

@ Icandoit you hit the nail on the head there

@ Ohplanes....Sit down with your grandmother and tell her your problem, explain to her enough is enough and you want to stop, support is a huge part of quitting, as hard as it may seem to open up to someone who thinks your clean it will pay off, a whole new outlook on life awaits, and it is amazing how you feel being free from opiates, do not go to the doc, quit and watch your life change for the better, trust me, you will see what i mean when you're clean

If you are serious and decide to quit, keep us posted and tell us how everything is going, we do want to see you succeed

P.S You need to make sure no pills or opiates of any kind are within reach if you decide to stop, most important advise i can give
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your support.

I tried to get an appt with my doctor but she's booked up so I went to a walk in and got a prescription for Clonidine (not the benzo, a blood pressure med that helps with withdrawal) however he only gave me SIX, 1 twice a day for three days (last time I quit I was prescribed 12 a DAY for a week) so that was discouraging.

I feel awful for what I put my family through, hence why I WANT to stop.

The hardest part is the couple hours of sleep at a time, waking up from the tiniest noise, covered in sweat. I'm restless and just SO BORED. All I can think is how fun it would be to be high. The days usually FLY by but now they feel like a lifetime each day. I also keep reading posts where people say they feel sick for WEEKS! Will I be bed ridden that long? I was hoping that the unbearable part would be over in 5-7 days. Will I just feel kinda "blah" after this week? THAT I can stand.

Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone is different when it comes to withdrawals, breaking it down depends on how much of the said opiate you have taken, after 5-7 days of being 100% opiate free you should start seeing the light at the end of the dark tunnel, im not going to lie to you but it takes (for some inc myself) about 20-25 days to start feeling normal again, you can speed up the detox doing exercise even though your energy level is very low and you don't want to do anything physical.

The depression is a very difficult stage in withdrawal and will have you looking back on life and what it could have been without opiates, to me it was a major eye opener and motivated me to STAY CLEAN, everything changed for me, life started over, my mind was clear, my motivation went threw the roof and on a personal note my sex drive was A-mazing, i started Hiking again and rockclimbing, it's what i loved to do before the devilpill took over my life, i quit cold turkey a few years ago, it was very painful but it taught me a lesson, i never want to go threw that again, ever, it scared me pretty bad but i would not of changed the experience for nothing as it has prevented me from a relapse, i just think about what i went threw and the cravings are gone instantly.

A few tips, listen to music that will calm your soul during W/D, take a hot bath if/when it gets intense will help you rest, find movies that you love, drink lots of ice water and try to eat, yogurt was yummy i started to get minor headaches after the 5th day and took a few IBP to ease the pain and it helped, after 7-8 days you will feel allot better but you will start to wonder if you will ever feel normal again, doubts will take over and you need to be strong, it only last a few days, sleep comes back after about 6 days, i got about 4 hours then 5 then 6, gets better and better, some nights where pretty restless but eventually passed out, after taking a hot bath.

Look at yourself, be brave and commit, show yourself that it can be done, that it will be done, an amazing outlook on life awaits, and it feels better then any high that science and nature can provide, sobriety and accomplishment! Keep us posted, and feel free to PM me if any questions, i would be honored to help you every step of the way....Stevo
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The really crappy flu withdrawal is about 5 to 7 days, but the insomnia persists for about a month. The first 2 weeks especially. What helped me sleep is sunshine, and exercise, my doctor provided clonazepam but it did nada, and neither did melatonin, unisom or benadryl. I was full of way too much nervous energy.

The way to look at it is you have been abusing your body for a long time so a couple weeks of feeling bad is the price you have to pay for being free of the opiates.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I was EXACTLY like you. I was blah, bored, slept horribly, a little queasy and cravings...Ugh! This too shall pass, by day 11 I was almost normal. I will have 2 yrs clean soon, you can do this! Hang in there and keep posting!

Blessings, Lily
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies, it helps to hear about other people who went through the same thing and actually DID it. The worst part is the flu like symptoms and UNBEARABLE restlessness. I have tried all the things you guys suggested (movies, music, reading, LOTS of cold water - I have a nasty taste in my mouth that wont go away and am VERY thirsty) and they are the only things keeping me sane.

I've dealt with depression for 8 years and although I stopped taking my anti depressants I have some refills ready at the drug store if I need them, thankfully.

The hardest part for me is the willpower, especially since my drug of choice is literally available everywhere. I quit once before, two years ago (I was knocked out the whole time and don't remember it at all, even how long it took!) and relapsed.

But how shameful is it to look back and realize that you wasted SO much time on something that hurts you in the long run, it's really baffling.

Again, thank you all. Your support means more to me than I could ever put into words.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The restless "heebie-jeebies" and the hot/cold flashes drove me NUTS. I found taking lots of showers that lasted at least a half hour helped. I had a chair in the shower and just let it beat down on me...

Another thing is to just tell yourself to ACCEPT this, don't fight it... I just turned on animal planet and told myself not to worry about not being able to fall asleep, that this too shall pass, and it eventually did. The angrier and more frustrated you feel the worse you are making it.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Just veg out and watch mindless tv. I didn't like to read when I was in withdrawal... You can post on here too! Take a good multivitamen and try not to eat to much crap. When I got on a good balanced diet that helped a lot too! It also kept me from wanting to return to opiates for the false sense of the rush to get stuff done. See, the mundane tasks I hated so I would use to get them done. but when I started eating right, it passed and i had the energy to get my stuff done! diet can do wonders! hang in there! you doing okay today?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got some non prescription sleeping pills and slept for a long time. I woke up feeling like I only have a common cold (with some "gastrointestinal disturbances"). Compared to how I DID feel, I feel like a new person. Do you think I'll feel even better or at least the same tomorrow? It just seems like the worst of it was over so fast that it'll be horrible again tomorrow or something?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The flu part should be winding down, but the nervous energy and sleep problems may persist. You are so LUCKY that the OC sleep aids work for you! I would say you are definitely on the mend. Now the hard part is to overcome the addict lizard brain who will whisper in your ear when you have no energy and/or feel really dull and bored...
Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so proud of you.

I found that when I went through the withdrawals in April for the opiates that listening to music with my headphones helped me relax enough to fall asleep. It might work for you.

I drank lots of water to clean out my system faster and ate yogart and banana's.

Get a whole much of movies that will take your mind off how you are feelings.

You will make it though. S/R helped many of us make it through with the support and good advice to help me go through the withdrawals cold turkey...

We are here for you.

Love
Chrisy
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys! I feel so much better already, I can't believe it. SR helped a lot! I'll be seeing my boyfriend for the first time in years, sober and I can't wait. I feel so positive already. I know it's going to be hard to fend off the WANT to get high again, but I'm taking it one day at a time.

I also found out that IF (god forbid) I ever have to do this again there is a FREE detox program at a hospital almost down the street. I'm proud of myself though, and hope I never have to do this again.

THANK YOU ALL!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just an update on myself: I am still clean and still grateful for everyone on this forum who helped me through the horribly rough week of withdrawal. I'm trying to avoid reading about people who ARE using because it makes me horribly jealous, but in time I hope to come back to this forum and help others how you have helped me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

To anyone wanting to stop using opiates: Withdrawal is terrifying and it DOES suck, but it's a small price to pay for your freedom. I read about other people stopping, yet still didn't believe in myself (I KNOW I have hardly any will power). I stopped and you can too. The key is WANTING to stop, for YOURSELF. If you're not ready, or haven't hit rock bottom then you won't be able to stop. Addiction is a cage and you CAN escape it. Nothing that is worth doing is easy, but it IS possible.

PS: I read horror stories of people feeling awful for weeks and it scared me beyond belief, after ONE week I felt 1000 times better.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Howdy Ohplanes

Congrats on making it this far and keep it up. I am on day 13 from the alcohol and pot, day 20 from the opiates. I was not taking much hydro compared to others, but I guess mixing with alcohol and pot is making the withdrawals more severe than I expected. The tinnitus is the major issue, it is getting worse, not better, or maybe my head is getting clear enough to notice the noise. No problems sleeping and the sweats and sudden spasms have almost disappeared, but the roaring in the head comes and goes and has me scared, wondering how long it will last. No desire to use, my thinkbone still hurts so much I can't imagine putting anything else into it.

Glad to hear you are feeling better, I am crossing my fingers that I am close behind.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lbl

Hi
I am with you. I am on day 5 of a medical taper. I am also in AA many years. I have flushed all the pills last night, except a few that the doctor has in my taper. Since I am skeptical a taper will work, I have setup a detox, i have an option for a couple weeks on subox, and I have scheduled vacation to go cold turkey very soon.
I am down to 45 mg today, from 75mg. I have had some rough times, but I have a sponsor, a doctor, and I am following all direction. I believe one needs to go to any length to get clean, so I am doing this. My withdrawls are tolerable, my doctor is trying to take me down to 15mg for the jump, if this does not work, like I said, i have no more pills and a very serious plan. I go to meetings everyday Cheers
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow! Good job, both of you. I hope you're keeping it up. Withdrawal is terrible but totally worth that week or so of feeling terrible. I read once that people who are given opiates for legit reasons but don't know they're addictive will go through withdrawal thinking it's just a flu and they don't crave - since they don't know taking opiates will fix it. So half the battle is the metal element. I tell you, there's nothing better than waking up and not worrying about getting high.

Also good job flushing the pills! That must have been hard as hell. I haven't gone yet but head AA meetings help, more so than NA.

Anyways I hope that you are both doing well. Feel free to post here or anywhere on these forums if you need support. You're not alone, and you're doing an amazing thing.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
lbl

Keep it up you guys, great work
I'm on day 11 , down 60% , it's very hard . I go to detox on Monday . They might use small amounts of subox , but not long term . Sleep and energy are the hardest parts of tapering , ambien not really working for sleep. Because I'm sober in AA a long time , don't want to take benzo or smoke pot . I'm trying to stabalize on 30mg this week , that's 60% reduction, still a long way from clean
Stay strong , I will also update my progress