Notices

Question about drug addiction therapist

Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Question about drug addiction therapist

I've never gone to therapy before and found a free consultation at a small place nearby my work. I felt somewhat comfortable with the counselor. However, a couple things made me uncomfortable.

Once a week he said he would drug test me for $30. This isn't a free clinic. They are $125 sessions. It just seemed odd to me. He was also insistent that my family be involved and he would want to see them. I'm 32 years old, single and live alone. I love my family but they aren't a part of my daily life. I am not comfortable with this idea at all. Is this just standard procedure for addiction therapy or would I be able to keep searching for someone I would be more comfortable with? Any input or life experience on this matter would be benficial to me. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mi vida loca

hi there-i cant personally offer any experience on these specific issues, but along the way in my life one thing has remained constant and that is when my gut tells me something isnt right, it probably isnt. maybe these things are customary or normal, but if you are uncomfortable you are less likely to be 100% open, honest and receptive....intuition is an amazing thing and if it doesnt jive, it doesnt jive. that is my .02 cents....additionally, i commend you for taking the step and making the commitment to broaden your recovery horizons with an addiction therapist....best of luck on your search for the right provider....take care
Old 04-09-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friend

I'm not sure about the mandatory family attendance, but I had a similar experience with my suboxone doctor as far as drug testing goes. He would do a UA (urine analysis) once a week in the beginning than once a month after the first 2 or 3 months; the prices were consistent with what you listed here. However, as I said, this was a sub doctor so it would make sense that he'd be doing weekly/monthly drug testing. Is this counselor an addiction dr or rx'ing meds?

Last edited by Shellslove; 04-09-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is this counselor in adiction dr or rx'ing meds?
I agree that it would make sense for a free clinic or a clinic giving you medication to drug test you.. However, he is a therapist that I would be paying for so (to me) it doesn't make sense why I would be drug tested. It's probably for accountability.

I'm already pretty sure that the counselor I met with isn't "the one" but in order to keep looking it helps to know what is and what is not "standard" or even if there is such a thing. Both of your comments have been helpful.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Drug testing is pretty standard. If you're paying out of pocket then you pay for that as well. A good therapist won't waste your time trying to deal with issues if you're active, so you're right, accountability is the key.
Seeking family involvement is also not unusual. Getting to the root of addiction issues is tough. However, if you have no significant contact with family and you believe your addiction has not caused rifts, say so. Allow the therapist to get insight from your family and it will probably be a non-issue.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm surprised. I thought more people would have experience with seeing a therapist but maybe NA / AA is more of the preferred way to get better. I really wish I knew how to find that suboxone stuff that people keep mentioning. That looks like an amazing help but I don't seem to see anything around here (Bay Area).
Old 04-11-2009, 04:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

Originally Posted by FrmrlyStgbr View Post
Drug testing is pretty standard. If you're paying out of pocket then you pay for that as well. A good therapist won't waste your time trying to deal with issues if you're active, so you're right, accountability is the key.
Seeking family involvement is also not unusual. Getting to the root of addiction issues is tough. However, if you have no significant contact with family and you believe your addiction has not caused rifts, say so. Allow the therapist to get insight from your family and it will probably be a non-issue.
I agree 110%. Well put Bear!

I had the same experience when I went to group therapy sessions that my insurance was paying for. It was like an outpatient clinic with a Suboxone doctor who would do a urine tox screen once a week. You went to 3 hour group therapy sessions 4 days a week with a certified addictions counselor/therapist. They wanted to visit with my family. I agreed as it was a problem for me at the time and am better off for including them in my support group versus going at it alone. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Check out Suboxone.com... I found an AMAZING doctor through that and you can do a search by city...
Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bostonluv View Post
I'm surprised. I thought more people would have experience with seeing a therapist but maybe NA / AA is more of the preferred way to get better. I really wish I knew how to find that suboxone stuff that people keep mentioning. That looks like an amazing help but I don't seem to see anything around here (Bay Area).
Boston,

I found a Suboxone doctor and he SUCKS! I should have gone with my gut instinct, that he was in it primarily for the money. But, when you meet with them and I don't care how little into withdrawal you are, any interest in helping you makes you feel that they are great. At my last appointment, I was told that we didn't have a minute more than ten minutes (usual visits last 12 minutes MAX). But, I'm stuck because he's the only one accepting patients in my area and being in that position as a Suboxone patient is no different than being a street junkie whose only source gets busted!!!! AHHH!!

Please... before you're baited by the Suboxone hype hook, line, and sinker read my most recent blog post on subs (another one is forthcoming because I'm going to document what I'm going through). Also, I'll be happy to refer you to a forum that has a long history with people on Suboxone. Get ALL the facts, not just the pie-in-the-sky facts. There are some who do VERY well on Suboxone, just don't think that it's a miracle drug. It's far from it.

Believe me... a very big part of me wishes that I had quit the old fashioned way, like my sponsor did and like Scaredtostop is doing it right now. I'm tapering quickly and may end up jumping off at anytime (fingers crossed in determination).

Therapy? I'm going to a private therapist now who has experience with addictions. That's about as specialized in "drug therapy" as they get, at least around here. In my area, Suboxone doctors are to addiction medicine what psychiatrists are to psychiatry... little more than write a script and send the patient on his way.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience Scott although I am disappointed that it is standard to have family members involved. I still don't understand why but it's not an option. I wrote that particular counselor today and explained why. I spoke to my Mom and she's not interested at all. My brother and I have a very strained relationship. In fact, it's amazing that we even have a relationship.

So...there's that idea down the toilet but I'm not totally giving up. I know when I thought about how to quit drinking enough I eventually buckled down and just did it. It didn't last though....

Christin - I will look through your posts next week and see what your experience has been.

Thank you for your posts and for the website Liberty!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So...there's that idea down the toilet but I'm not totally giving up. I know when I thought about how to quit drinking enough I eventually buckled down and just did it. It didn't last though....
bostonluv,
Good for you! It seems that when we seek recovery in earnest that everything should fall into place. Have we not suffered enough just to get to that point? I came upon roadblocks (some self-made) as I set out to get clean. I just want to congratulate you on your determination not to give up!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So, are you off of opioids completely at this point, and if so, why would you be interested in suboxone?

BTW, I'm from the Bay as well (not living there at the moment, but I'll be back) ... whereabouts are you at? My sub doctor was in San Ramon ...
Old 04-12-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No I am not off the opiates that is why I am interested in the program. I am about 12 minutes north of San Francisco. Sounds like you are East Bay and I am Marin County. I am getting more and more desperate to stop because I am not decreasing my amounts. I reconcilled with my boyfriend last week and was absolutely shocked to see that I had gone through 10 40 mg pills in 4 days. I have never been on such high amounts and tomorrow (my day off) I have to sit and cut up these pills so that I don't continue on these high amounts.

I went to my office yesterday and could barely type up some minutes. They were full of typos and I had a difficult time putting together sentences. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I realized I'm strung out. I have to do something quick. I'm not having a pity party. I'm angry with myself over this and I know I'm a loser right now. I'm just spilling it because I know I'm out of control and I'm running out of time. I'm also snorting the pills now instead of taking them orally. I am so angry with myself. I must go back and read through all the advice, pick a way and just stop this.

I used to hate posts like these when I wasn't drinking. I'd want to shake the person and say, stop talking about it and just do it.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Christin, I feel like in your post you are implying that EVERY doctor who prescribes Suboxone is in it for the money. Again, I would like to state that the doctor who prescribes my suboxone is WONDERFUL. You really can't decide a drug is evil due to one bad doctor- I am firmly still in the camp that thinks its a miracle drug. I have tapered from 14 mg a day, a dose I was on for months, to 10 mg a day in one month with no problems whatsoever. I don't anticipate any problems as long as I stay with the right doctor who knows how to taper people correctly- again, its the doctor, not the drug.