View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
christin1225

Originally Posted by bostonluv View Post
I'm surprised. I thought more people would have experience with seeing a therapist but maybe NA / AA is more of the preferred way to get better. I really wish I knew how to find that suboxone stuff that people keep mentioning. That looks like an amazing help but I don't seem to see anything around here (Bay Area).
Boston,

I found a Suboxone doctor and he SUCKS! I should have gone with my gut instinct, that he was in it primarily for the money. But, when you meet with them and I don't care how little into withdrawal you are, any interest in helping you makes you feel that they are great. At my last appointment, I was told that we didn't have a minute more than ten minutes (usual visits last 12 minutes MAX). But, I'm stuck because he's the only one accepting patients in my area and being in that position as a Suboxone patient is no different than being a street junkie whose only source gets busted!!!! AHHH!!

Please... before you're baited by the Suboxone hype hook, line, and sinker read my most recent blog post on subs (another one is forthcoming because I'm going to document what I'm going through). Also, I'll be happy to refer you to a forum that has a long history with people on Suboxone. Get ALL the facts, not just the pie-in-the-sky facts. There are some who do VERY well on Suboxone, just don't think that it's a miracle drug. It's far from it.

Believe me... a very big part of me wishes that I had quit the old fashioned way, like my sponsor did and like Scaredtostop is doing it right now. I'm tapering quickly and may end up jumping off at anytime (fingers crossed in determination).

Therapy? I'm going to a private therapist now who has experience with addictions. That's about as specialized in "drug therapy" as they get, at least around here. In my area, Suboxone doctors are to addiction medicine what psychiatrists are to psychiatry... little more than write a script and send the patient on his way.