Holiday Recipe Cookoff!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday Recipe Cookoff!

Ok, so Thanksgiving is just a few days away now! WOOHOO cant wait for the calories and the exta weight gain! So Im sittin here imagining all the goody's an yum yums. How about we start a thread of our FAVORITE food and give the recipe to go along with it. Even if you dont have measurements-WHO CARES! Just share your idea! I would post mine first but I gotta find my reciepe book first. I have a lemon cheesecake from scratch that my great gramma used to make that got passed to only us girls. But to just start us off Ill post a quick one that is a favorite with my kids.

Macaroni and Cheese from scratch:

What You Need:
1/2 stick of butter
8oz of elbow macaroni
1/8c of flour
teaspoon of salt(optional)
3c of milk
about 6-8oz of shred american cheese

To Cook:
In medium sauce pan melt butter stick, add salt and flour. When butter is melted add milk and elbow macaroni. Cook for 8-10 min. DO NOT DRAIN! It will thicken as it stand for 3-5 min. Just add you cheese and I promise, box macaroni will never taste the same!

OH I CAN JUST FEEL THE POUNDS STARTING ALREADY! YUM YUM! I love to eat!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Any one have a recipe for crab cakes or even a good appetizer? Im having a large family ove for the holiday and need to prepare a really good dinner. I havent a clue how to make yams either.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My "recipe" is Trader Joe's for appetizer's. Do you have one? Once I finally learned how to cook (for my AH of course), I found that I am just fine not making everything from scratch! ha ha but, I do have a great (and large) cookie recipe if anyone's interested. I'll wait to see - it has a lot of everything, but makes a huge batch!

As for yams - I personally like most of my vegetables - including (and especially) yams roasted. Prepare them, toss them in a little olive oil and salt and pepper and spread them out and bake on high (like 400 or 425) until done. If doing veggies that take longer like root vegetables, do those first and longer - things like asparagus, greenbeans, onions, mushrooms, etc. don't take but 10 min. or so. For the yams you could throw a little brown sugar on and mix up for the last minute or two (or the sugar will burn) - Oh, and personally if that's what I was planning to do then I would go easy on S&P on the yams.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

For a really good appitizer, I love these ham and asparagas rolls.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of asparagus
1 package of cream cheese
1 pound of deli ham, thin sliced

Snip or break off the tough part of the stem of asparagus. (I prefer medium thin for this recipe.)
Par steam asparagas, and allow to cool.

While that's cooling in refridgerator, take out thin sliced ham from the deli and cream cheese.
Soften cream cheese in the microwave, until spreadable, but, not melted.
Spread cream cheese onto the ham in a thin layer.

Layer a piece of asparagus onto the ham.
Roll the ham up over the asparagus, like a jelly roll.
Cut into one inch size pieces, and put a tooth pick into it for serving and holding together.

Refridgerate until ready to serve.
Enjoy!

Shalom!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How weird is this... I just came back from a meeting, yes, I went to first one I have been to in a few years... just felt compelled and it I am glad I did. Then, I came home and wanted to macaroni and cheese... from scratch of course... I then sat down at the computer and came here and the first thread I pulled up is Gwen's!!!! Thanks for a new way to make it! I use sharp cheddar and parm. cheese and I put in a touch of nutmeg and a dash of hot sauce. Comfort food. I love to cook... why don't you all come here and let me cook for you?!?!?!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recipes!

Imallright, LOL if I could afford the airfair, I would soooo be there. Wont have to ask me twice!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cmon ladies, I aint much of a grand cook. I want something new and improved to cook. Otherwise my guest are all gonna starve! LOL.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm waiting for the lemon cheesecake recipe. Every year I try to make a different cheesecake, we've had pumpkin, caramel, amaretto and chocolate but I just love anything lemon.

I must confess as the years have gone by and the family grown I have most of my dinner from boxes and cans. Especially stuffing. Can't make it from scratch for nothing. Now if I could only get them to use paper plates!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My Favorite Broccoli Casserole

8 ounces or small velveeta cheese
1 1/2 cups crushed Ritz crackers combined with 1/2 stick oleo melted or butter if you like
3 boxes Frozen chopped Broccolli -cook and drain well
1/2 stick oleo
++++++++++++++++

Cook broccoli and drain well, put in casserole dish
Add cubed cheese or cheese of your choice
add 1/2 stick oleo cut up (not butter) you need the salt for taste
Top with crushed Ritz crackers made with oleo or butter
Bake uncovered 350 about 34-40 min. Till bubbly, cover if you need to

This is a recipe I got from Paula Dean show ,different but great

Best Gooey Pumpkin Pie
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick melted butter
Add 1 egg and beat till moist
Put in greased cake pan 13x9 only on the bottom only like a crust

Filling

1 cream cheese, 1 box powdered sugar mix together in bowl
Add:
1 stick butter
3 eggs
1 tea vanilla
1 lg can punkin pie filling
nutmeg and cinnamon (a few dashes as you like the taste of it)

Pour filling on top of crust in pan
Bake 45 min or till center is cooked ( like a pie) at 350
Serve ice cold with whipping cream

For Bannana cake use 2 ripe bannanas instead of pumpkin

This is sweet but delish, people loved it and I like it now better then pumpkin pie!

Last edited by beegee; 11-05-2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

here's one of my favorite appitizers

one box of stove top stuffing mix
one egg
one small can of minced clams (juice and all)

mix well

form little cakes or balls in whatever size you want
fry in olive oil or butter till warmed all the way through
thats it serve with cocktail sauce
Old 11-05-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

D@@n....i'm starved! Come on stop this...now I'm going to have to go to the candy machine at work and buy something. M&M's with peanuts aren't in the class you're talking about...but they'll do.

In case it slips by I just want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, we do have lots of things to be thankful for. Sometimes it's easy to forget with the pain we have. Enjoy the Holiday!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

gotta go to work, i will get back to you.........keep them recipes coming girls.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

well we all love choclate so heres a good one extremly simple , and oooh so good , i put home made cream cheese frosting on it to even add better flavor .

Baisc choclate cake box mix , do as the box says dont do anything differant . But..... do add a small sized box of choclate pudding to it , now dont just toss the powder in it , you make it according to the receip which is 2 cups of milk. add the pudding to the cake mix and bake . now its gonna take a bit longer the the box says , it took 55 minute with my oven and its was perfect . @350 i mite add ... cream cheese frosting
1- reg box size ( at room temp )
1 stick of butter ( at room temp )
2 tsp of milk
2 tsp vanilla
3 1/4 cup powdered sugar
mix with hand mixer and add to any favoriite cake .
I mite add you can do that cake any flavor vanilla and vanilla pudding , or use your iminagitaion and create your own mixed up flavor cake .. make sure you store the cake in the frig . it wont last long tho once you cut into it ... its look out ! hope you enjoy this if you try it 2
Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yummy dip:

BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

2 [10 ounce] cans chunk chicken, drained
2 [8 ounce]packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup Ranch dressing
3/4 cup red hot sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Heat chicken and red hot until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and Ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half the cheddar cheese and transfer mixture to a slow cooker.Sprinkle of the remaining cheese over top, cover, and cook on low setting until hot and bubbly.
Serve with Ritz crackers

We use 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 sour cream. I find it easier to toss it in the oven and bake until bubbly. You can make it as hot or mild as you like, or even sub BBQ sauce for the red hot. The 1/2 cup of hot sauce is way too hot for my taste.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

what a lovely thread
Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh - I do have a really really simple chocolate cake recipe, and it freezes really well to be eaten later because it's so dense:

Easy Chocolate Bundt Cake

Ingredients:
1 pkg super moist chocolate cake mix
1 3 oz pkg. vanilla instant pudding
1 pt. sour cream
2 eggs
1/2 cup Kaluha
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix everything together until well mixed. Pour into bundt pan. (optionally for extra chocolate - you can also add 6 ox. mini chocolate chips while mixing) For anyone really cooking challenged, mix with a big spoon - no beater necessary

Bake 40-55 minutes at 350.

Suggested serving is sliced with a drizzle of raspberry sauce. You can sprinkle powdered sugar on top too...
Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sweet and sour Meatballs

This is so easy and good, a girl at work used to make this and I asked how she managed to do all this. Simple:
Crock Pot
Either make your own meatballs or buy them already made from the grocery store and brown them up to cook. Large meatballs are fine.
1 jar grape jelly
1 jar chili sauce not coctail-chili sauce
Add both jars to the crock stir it up and put on low add the meatballs. They are really good and stay hot in the crock and people love them. Have forks and paper plates (small ones) or dishes to eat them on!
Old 11-05-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Gwen

Well, as most of you know (or maybe not) my husband does all the cooking in our home. I don't have anything to do with a kitchen. In fact, if it were up to me, I would have opted for a walk-in closet instead. LOL

However, I do have a wonderful recipe for a Heavenly Chocolate Cheesecake which I will share with you today. So here it is:

CRUST: 2 CUPS CRUSHED VANILLA WAFFERS
1 CUP GROUND TOASTED ALMONDS
1/3 CUP GRANULATED SUGAR
1/2 CUP BUTTER OR MARG.

FILLING: 1 ENVELOPE UNFLAV. GELATIN
1/2 CUP MILK
2 PACK. CREAM CHEESE SOFTENED
1/2 CUP SOUR CREAM
1/2 TSP. ALMOND EXTRACT
1/2 CUP WHIPPING CREAM, WHIPPED
2 CUPS 11-1/2 OZ. TOLL HOUSE MILK CHOC. MORSELS

FOR CRUST: In med. bowl combine crmbs, almonds, sugar & butter; mix well
press firmly onto bottom and 2 inches up sides of 9-in. springform pan.

FOR FILLING: In small heavy saucepan over low heat, melt morsels (or microwave them) sprinkle gelatin over milk, let stand for 1 minute. Warm over low heat, stirring frequently, until genlatin is dissovled. In large mixer bowl, beat cream creese, sour cream and chocolate until fluffy. Beat in gelatin mixture and almond extract. Fold in whipped cream, pour into crust. Chill about 3 hours or until firm. Run knife around edge of cheesecake to remove.

Yummmy! Enjoy. It's fun to make.

Hugs Devastated
Old 11-05-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
krhea75

How nice to think about something besides our sorrows and our addicts. Thanks Gwen! Here's a quick easy recipe that a friend of mine gave me. She is a home ec teacher, but she still knows the value of quick and easy.

Cook up butterscotch pudding (4 oz.) with milk. Make sure you use the cook and serve!
Stir in a butter pecan cake mix ( dry). Pour into a 13 X 9 greased cake pan. Top with butterscotch morsels and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes. Makes yummy snack bars.

krhea
Old 11-14-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ok ladies, I found my easy recipe for cheesecake from scratch!

Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cp. sugar
1 T. vanilla
1 lg. or 2 sm. boxes of jello
1 to 1-1/2 cp. boiling water
1 can Milnot

Crust:
1/4 cp. sugar
2-3 T melted butter
Graham Cracker crumbs

Mix the graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cp sugar together, cut in melted
butter slowly. Spread evenly in lightly buttered 13 x 9 pan.

Mix jello with boiling water, set aside to cool. Whip Milnot in glass
or metal mixing bowl until stiff or forms peaks. It has to be glass or metal or it wont rise right. Place in fridge.

Cream together the cream cheese, 1 cp of sugar, and vanilla. Slowly add
cooled Jello mixture. Fold this into the Milnot very slowly with a
spatula or large spoon. Then spoon into the 13 x 9 pan.