Notices

Treatment

Old 07-07-2003, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Treatment

How does one know if they need intreatment? How can I tell if I need a detox center. How would I know if outpaintent is enough? I know I need something, but I dont want to get to overwhelmed and then for myself to say forget it. I have mixed feelings about both. I dont want to go down a road to be disapointed cause I truely believe this will be my last time trying to get my life in order.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is this something you can discuss with your doctor?

Often people choose inpatient treatment because physical withdrawal can be dangerous.Others choose it for a safe haven to give themselves time to learn new skills and adjust to being clean.And of course,some choose it for both those reasons and more.

My own feeling is that you should give yourself the best possible chance for recovery.Don't let fear of failure or a feeling of unworthiness hold you back.You are worth it,and you can make it.

Believe me,I was in pretty hopeless condition when I got into recovery.I was broken down in every sense of the word.My brain was wrecked.I was 30 pounds underweight, and malnourished.I had lost everything.If one as broken as me can recover,so can you.There is hope.Keep posting

phoenix
Old 07-07-2003, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cant talk to my doctor she is the one prescirbing me the pills I want to stop using. I take them as perscribed but I still feel out of control. I already been in rehab for these meds but got back on them. I just want my life back, but dont want to feel anxious anymore or have panic attacks.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JustCrazy,
I have been through withdrawals of Xanax that the Dr. had prescribed me for Panic attacks. I got pregnant and had to stop. I didn't even realize I had an addiction until I had to come off of them for the pregnancy. I was taking 2mg. 3 times a day. and I was taking them as prescribed. When I came off of the Xanax I couldn't leave my house for 3 weeks. I had cold sweats, feelings of displacement, shakes, couldn't eat, etc. I was very unstable for 3 weeks. If this is something that you are taking for panic attacks I suggest that you go into detox. I learned the hard way and I wouldn't ask my worst enemy to go through that alone.
You aren't alone and you CAN MAKE IT!!!!! They can also taper you off. You really need to talk to the Dr. and let him/her know how this is affecting you.

Prayers and concern from NC,
2many

I am here for you if you need me.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally posted by JustCrazy
I cant talk to my doctor she is the one prescirbing me the pills I want to stop using. I take them as perscribed but I still feel out of control. I already been in rehab for these meds but got back on them. I just want my life back, but dont want to feel anxious anymore or have panic attacks.
If she is prescribing them,and you want to stop,then you really should discuss it with her.Perhaps there are alternatives that could help with the anxiety/panic attacks.It's very important to have a doctor who understands what you need,and has your best interests at heart.And it's important to be able to talk openly and honestly about your concerns.I hope this helps.

phoenix
Old 07-07-2003, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just.....

I was afraid but had to get honest with my doctor. I had to let them know that I had formed an addiction to my Xanax and that I could not take it any more. This was scarry because I had such a great outlet to get whatever I wanted, but it helped. I dont have the ever present lingering thought that I could just run and get some more. I know I could, but it is just not as easy as before. It was a good move for me though... Good luck my friend.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

That's good that your doctor is the one prescribing you the pills to you, this way she will know the best way for you to get off them. All you have to do is ask because she is not a mind-reader, if you never let her know then she will keep prescribing them. All doctors are very aware that benzodiazepines are dangerously addictive and that there are plenty of alternatives, mine was Effexor.

Inpatient rehab is preffered for obvious reasons, you are in a sefe environment, closely monitered, and you are cared for any physical withdrawls, of course this form of treatment is expensive. I went through the inpatient program and used outpatient as a sort of follow up treatment. Which ever way you decide to choose, check with your doctor if you are not planning on going through some sort of detox.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going to call my doctor right now please wish me luck
Old 07-07-2003, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good Luck, JC...

You can do this...We're all pulling for you...

(((HUGS)))

Kai
Old 07-07-2003, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Man just when I had the courage to call she is in a session. I left a message for a call back its been 3 hours. I know doctors are busy but I have the courage now......
Old 07-07-2003, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I dont know what I have to do to get help. I just got off the phone with my therapist and I told her I want to stop and she said i better not and we will talk about it at my next appt.... my next appt???!!!!! Thats not until next month so now I have to feel like **** and out of control??!!!! I thought I was doing something good instead I got my hand slapped
Old 07-07-2003, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know it can be frustrating,but just try to hang in there.Sometimes changes with medication have to be done slowly and carefully.I went off a medication I was taking a few years ago,and I landed in the ER having convulsions.That was the last time I made a medical decision without consulting my doctor first

Just be very careful.Meanwhile,lets talk about how the medication upsets you.Is it not controlling the anxiety,or are there other problems?Sometimes a change in the dosage helps,or your doctor may be able to offer something else.Keep talking to us.

Hugs

phoenix
Old 07-08-2003, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am at the point where I just dont really care anymore sorry of any inconvience. Mybe in another life it will be different
Old 07-08-2003, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are NOT AN INCONVENIENCE!!!!!

Just DON'T GIVE UP!!! Get a second opinion if you have to!! You will get the help you need if you just keep searching for it....do you pray? Ask God to help and I PROMISE He will--I thought He wasn't listening to me either, but God answers in His own time, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. Just don't give up...we are all here for you and we are all pulling for you...

We love you...

(((((BIG, HUGE HUG!!!)))))

Kai
Old 07-09-2003, 04:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, I did call my doctor the one given me the drugs. I asked her if I could come in and talk about my meds. She said well whats going on.... First I wanted to go in a sit down with her, but anyways I did come clean to her about how i was in a rehab for the same problem and that I am totally out of control and how I use them to get high. She said well. we can start tappering???!! what is that tapering, I use it to get high does she think I can honeslty taper? I am really confussed. I dont want to waste her time as well as mine when I am so ready to finally get clean.. I also told her I need to learn to how to live without these drugs. I have been on them all my adult life... I have no idea how to live, cope, feel, go to work ect ect. I do have an appt in 2 weeks, but my thinking as gotten worse I am trying to get other stuff and going to get drunk anything to get my mind off of this aweful place I am in. I told her how I just dont think she is really listening to me. well, she is a few fries short of a happy meal.. I nkwo i did the right thing but am I doin go the right thing now? tappering?? I am still in awe about that.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

The only way you will be able to get off benzodiazepines other than cold turkey is by tapering very slow. How else did you expect to get off the pills? Did you think she was going to give you more benzodiazepines? If more prescription drugs are given to take away the withdrawl symptoms it just pushes them back until you get off those drugs. Nobody said that getting off drugs was easy, you have to really want it for yourself. If you really meant what you said that last post about REALLY wanting to get clean, then start tapering and take your doctor's advice. She is listening to you because she told you exactlly how you are supposed to get off benzos. You could maybe ask for an anti-depressant, but that is up to her to prescribe. It took me 4 months of tapering to get off 3mg of Klonopin, it sucked but I feel one million times better than I used to. It's all up to you.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I went to my doctors and we just decided that right now the best thing for me is to stay taking the meds. She does know I am addicted to them and she is ok with it. Thanks for all that posted take care
Old 07-09-2003, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh gosh where should i start..My bf been addicted to xanax for 8 months...He got addicted from his doctor if i could be alone for a few mins with that doc i would show her the hell that ive and my bf been going through since then...theres sooo many different meds that docs can prescibe i dont know why they ever choose to give their patients benzo's...i really think you should go into a rehab or detox...cause withdrawl from benzo's can be real dangerous...my bf and many others get seizures from stopping cold from them...so you shouldnt be left alone withdrawing from them...i wish you luck and i know its hardest thing to come to terms that u r an addict..even though ive been in many rehabs and detoxs and been clean for 11months...i still have a real hard time excepting that something so small like heroin has complete control over me and cause me to lose control..because human nature is to keep fighting...but this fight u only win when u surrender..
Old 07-10-2003, 05:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Breaking the Addiction

JC, for your information, try this website and see if you find something or someone who can work with you to break the addiction:

www.prescriptionabuse.org