Notices

My overdose

Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

My overdose

Well, my worst nightmare happened. On Wednesday I got a script of Darvocets (30 of them) and for some reason I decided to eat them like there was no tomorrow (the addiction got to me I guess). With in a 12 hour period I ate all 30 of them. Well around 4 am Thursday morning I woke up feeling very weak and bad and then it started, I threw up every 10 minutes for the next 6 hours and I was shaking so bad that I would have a glass of ice water and would shake the water out of the glass. Finally though I was able to drift to sleep but before I did I begged to GOD that I wouldn't die and to get me through it and he did, I should have went to the hospital but I was too ashamed to. After 9 hours of sleep I woke up still very week but not shaking and my stomach was settled. That was a very scary moment for me and that was a big time wake up call for myself. It has been 45 hours since that happened and I am praying that it doesn't happen again. I was doing great since my last relapse but I got cocky with my attitude and didn't remain humble and it hit me like a bomb. I will from now own also remain humble in my recovery as that is very important.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that Brian. I'm glad you're still with us.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

Dont beat yourself up about it. As long as you've learned something from it, thats okay. We all stumble sometimes, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Just get up and start again. Go to a meeting and share, it will help so much. I have faith in you, and so does God, we just have to be humble enough to ask for help. Thanks for sharing...'we can only keep what we have by giving it away'....with sober love..
Old 03-24-2007, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that and I too am happy you're here. Maybe you could tell your doctor about your problem so he/she won't prescribe them to you anymore.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

I'm here for you, as I have been for some time now. Take is slow and take care of yourself right now. You're bound to be shaky for a bit.

Originally Posted by Brian1978 View Post
(the addiction got to me I guess).
You made the choice to get the script, fill the script, open the bottle and eat the pills. If it works to call that "the addiction", then that's what works. I choose to call it my choice.
Is is definitely okay to admit when you've had a detour, but I have to disagree that it's "okay" to make that choice to use. It's a part of our behavior that is not okay.
Please keep posting and keep someone informed of how you're doing.
Bear
Old 03-24-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks so much brian, and i am sooooooooooo glad you are ok
Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Brian,

I too, am very thankful that you made it though this.

A big concern is the huge amount of acetaminophen that you ingested with this dose --- 9.75 grams at minimum, or 15 grams if each capsule had 500 mg. The maximum daily recommended dose is 4 grams.

The metatabolytes of acetaminophen destroy liver cells. If you had gone right to the hospital they could have admnistered a timely antidote to protect your liver from damage.

You may be really lucky and somehow avoided damage but if I were you I wouldn't waste any time going to the doctors and ask them to run a few blood tests as well as a liver panel just to make sure everything is all right.

The liver is one organ that has the unusual ability to regenerate in many / most cases.

I'm not trying to scare you, but you should know that taking tons of stuff with acetaminophen may give you more than you bargained for. Liver failure is a very bad way to meet your maker . . . please don't harm yourself!

Buzz
Old 03-24-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Originally Posted by Buzz Kilowatt View Post
A big concern is the huge amount of acetaminophen that you ingested with this dose --- 9.75 grams at minimum, or 15 grams if each capsule had 500 mg. The maximum daily recommended dose is 4 grams.
Thanks for that reminder, Buzz. Oddly enough, when I was over-ingesting Percocet, that used to be one of my biggest fears. It worried me, but it didn't stop me. I did, however, have full panel blood work done once I stopped, and I got lucky yet again.
Bear
Old 03-24-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

what you have done to yourself is damage your liver. the nausea and vomiting are the first stage, then you will feel better like you are and this is the second stage. then you go into the third stage and you can die. get to the hospital now. read the info below and go now!!!!

What happens to a person with acetaminophen-induced liver damage?

Three clinical stages (phases) of acetaminophen-induced liver injury have been described. During the first phase, that is, the initial 12 to 24 hours or so after ingestion, the patient experiences nausea and vomiting. For the next perhaps 12 to 24 hours, which is the second phase or the so-called inactive (latent) phase, the patient feels well. In the third phase, which begins about 48 to as late as 72 hours after the ingestion of acetaminophen, liver blood test abnormalities begin to appear. Most notably, extremely high (abnormal) levels of the liver blood tests, AST and ALT, are common with this type of liver injury. The outcome (prognosis) of the liver injury can be predicted fairly accurately on the basis of the patient's clinical exam and blood tests. For example, at one extreme, if the patient develops severe acid buildup in the blood, kidney failure, bleeding disorders, or coma, then death is almost certain. Only a liver transplant can possibly save such a patient

http://www.medicinenet.com/tylenol_l...mage/page5.htm
Old 03-24-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Eric, in that you should go to a hospital and get the blood work done ASAP.

Buzz
Old 03-24-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Brian - please listen to this very good advice and go get yourself checked out, the sooner the better. I understand the shame issue, but please don't let that stop you from seeking medical attention - doctors have heard it all and seen it all and they are there to help you, not judge you.

Let us know how you are doing, Brian!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Goin'....Goin'....Gone!

I agree with all of these people Brian.... go get checked out... Dr's are very understanding about these issues and do not judge a patient, they all took an oath and I may be wrong but part of that oath (not word per word though) they agree not to cast judgement but to treat and save lives soemthing like that.
Being ashamed or saving your life from liver failure? No brainer really!
GO TO THE ER if you need to and go ASAP. Sign off the computer and go now!
Old 03-24-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

I went to the hospital and got checked out. I am ok and very lucky, I told the doctor there the truth and he said that I am not the first person he has seen for this. I did have some kind of infection in my liver but antibiotics will get that. Thanks everyone for your advice and support, I did make a very foolish choice to do what I did and it took something like this to really change me and it was kinda worth it as I now know the real bad side of addiction.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((((((Brian))))))) That is really good news! Stay strong - you can do this! Keep checking in and posting, especially when you are feeling tempted. A relapse usually starts before the ingestion of a substance, so you will know when to be particularly vigilant. And I'm really proud of you for talking honestly to your doctor.

Hugs!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Brian,

Thanks for keeping us posted. You are definately blessed to have made it through that with your life & liver intact. The other ingredient in Darvocet is considered more dangerous -- it causes cardiac arrythmia in high doses.

I recently lost a childhood friend who died from complications of an aspirin overdose, for heaven sakes.

Now the hard work begins . . . you need to get in touch with your reason(s) for taking all of those pills. 30 darvocets isn't a buzz . . . it's a death wish.

I recommend getting counseling and / or getting hooked up with NA. I'll bet the folks you saw have a list of local resources, since they see this kind of thing often. Check with the hospital's social services dept.

Cheers,

Buzz
Old 03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Oh Brian,,

Thank God Please remember the miracle that you are.. The miracle of life that you have been given..

I can't remember if you are in some type of support system, other than SR,, but please seek one if not.. Face to Face support is extremely helpful..

I am so happy you are still here Brian.. Please stay with us.. Get some more help..

Prayers,
Becky
Old 03-27-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Brian
the insanity of our addiction! Thank God you are still here...we can never forget how cunning baffling and powerful this disease is...and that it's PRIMARY purpose is to destroy us - as it almost did you. you have another chance, grab it with open arms!
Welcome Back!
Cathy31
x
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

((HUGS)) Brian.....Im praying for your recovery
Old 03-27-2007, 04:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

The Doctor in the hospital and my sponsor both recomended that I get outpatient counseling and that is exactly what I am gonna do. There is a place I think in Christiansburg Va near where I live that I am gonna look into. I am gonna do alot of personal changes to myself (like going to collage this fall) and I hope this all helps me but I am pretty sure it will I will also help myself too.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian1978 View Post
I should have went to the hospital but I was too ashamed to.
i just read the first post and had to stop to say

my goodness Brian. (chin drops to floor and eyes open wide)

if this isnt the opitome of

"we cannot save our face and our ass at the same time"
i dont know what is!!!

Brian, Please, Dont Freakin do that.
nothing, especially shame, should be enough to not seek medical attention.

i hate this freakin disease

((hugs)) my friend.
so glad your still with us and i hope all goes well for you now.