Notices

The point of all of this

Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yea, I think that is the title.

If you Gooogle it you should garner some more information.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:45 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I am the one who suggested the book "What You Think Of Me Is None Of My Business"I am sure you can find it at Amazon.com...

It is a very good book and it helped me not to take myself so seriously and others too.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:43 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Michael

Oncenice,
I just wanted to say a big thank you for starting and continuing this thread. It has been immensely useful and I am sure that I am not the only one who has gained some insight from it. I have just been re-reading the posts and one thing really does stand out and that is that you seem to me to have an immensely caring character. What you believe you may lack in forthrightness you more than make up for in empathy and unconditional love for your fellow human being.
I can not let your comment on the last night of sobriety go without comment. I may be a million miles from the truth here, but is your willingness to stand up and be counted on this thread in any way connected to your not taking a drink? It seemes to me that because you have developed the inner strength to say what you feel you have also developed the strength to resist the desire to drink.
Whatever it was that empowered you over drink I am simply delighted for you.
Best wishes
Michael
Old 04-12-2006, 07:23 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Splendra thanks for the book. I couldn't remember who suggested it but I've been thinking about it alot.

Michael. I was also thinking that same thing. My previous post were mostly about being depressed and angry and upset with myself, spilling my guts of all the lousy things I've done. This particular post was truly about what I was feeling in regards to working on a recovery process. Grant it I'm always worried about what people think of me so I worry also about what people think of others. But I guess instead of saying my life stinks like I usually do, this post was a real question that I have been wanting to ask but afraid to. I just kinda felt like I didn't need to drink it last night. I even went and bought a six pack and drank a bottle of water instead. Weird to me. Anyway, maybe you are right about feeling counted on the thread gave me a hopeful spark. Who knows.
Like I said the worst thing about drinking or what ever the drug of choice is, to me, is that its a mind messer uppper big time. I don't know why I would want to mess up my thinking anymore than it already is but that's what I chose. Now I got to choose to get the heck out of it.

To all of you. I've tried and failed since 1993. But I'm not gonna stop trying that's the best I can offer. Hope everyone has a great day. My mind is clear today.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by michaelj
I can not let your comment on the last night of sobriety go without comment. I may be a million miles from the truth here, but is your willingness to stand up and be counted on this thread in any way connected to your not taking a drink? It seemes to me that because you have developed the inner strength to say what you feel you have also developed the strength to resist the desire to drink.
The treatment center I went to uses what's called Choice Theory (CT) as the foundation of their program. A great deal of it is about getting your "Basic Needs" met in ways other than drinking/using, which end up robbing you of all your basic needs. The basic needs according to CT are: Belonging (feeling connected), Power (feeling useful, achieving goals), Freedom (flexibility, having choices), Fun (recreation, playing). OneNice, I believe you got a strong dose of the first two yesterday. Congrat's on your sober evening!

DK
Old 04-12-2006, 11:58 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I agree doorknob. I feel better about being here than I ever have before.
I'm still confused, still a drunk, still a mess, but I feel a lot better .
Old 04-12-2006, 12:36 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

See,my alcohol abuse is spilling over into here too,shame on me. I never argue with the tough love approach here,somedays i need other days i dont,my choice to accept it leave it be.Sounds like you are in the same boat as me,quitting and going back is like a routine for me.Im not here to seek attention,I come because it makes or sometimes breaks my intentions,usually just getting crap off my chest and getting feedback is enough to keep me going insane.sure it must get annoying to some of you but im still here and getting better,at least i think.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Homer, I'm so glad you are here. YOu don't know how much you are helping me. Its just such a kick a ss disease. Man it just literally knocks us out. I don't think any of us in the beginnng know what to do. You didn't spill over here because you did anythig wrong. No shame on you at all. Its just me and you ant others are trying to figure out what the heck to do. You know. Maybe we both need a good kick in the A ss from something else other than beer (drug of my choice). All I know is that these people on here really do care. Even if they are tough. That's what this thread taught me. And you know what I know if they tell me to "put the drink down and shut up and listen" I know they are doing it out of love.

That's how you helped me Patrick and you didn't even know it. I saw your thread. So many people were talking to you. Reaching out in so many different ways.

Its strange, but know matter what way they reach out what words they use, they are reaching out to US. And that's what counts I think. I hope. That's what I learned
THEY REALLY DO CARE. THEY DON'T SEE US BUT THEY REALLY DO CARE.

Homer Please stay here with me. Okay.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

sure thing,oncenice,im not going anywhere.Im on a day2,AGAIN,of not drinking.2 steps forward,1 step back is how im getting there.Ive had some nasty binges over the past few years,but never just gave up,at least not for too long.Certain things keep me going,SR of course,my wife and kids even though they really get me very angry sometimes,my job,my real friends,here and at home and most of all,my desperate desire to live a sober and happy life.Cant say I ever failed but set myself back more times than i could count.I think I may be at MY bottom,I really dont know,I do know Im tired of this confusing lifestyle Ive been living,brought it ALL in the open now with everyone.Maybe this will be my key to success,Im feeling confident and ready and willing to work hard at staying sober.You too,can do it,just dont give up,your choice to like or dislike any posts made here,no trolls here,well maybe I missed that one but thats so rare here.Keep at it,we are gonna live sober,happy lives.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:33 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am so thrilled to see you both are moving forward...

Rose and Patrick!
Old 04-12-2006, 06:46 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

src is neat
it's good to post
but
you got to go to an AA meeting
it's a real connection
in real time

best
fraankie
Old 04-12-2006, 07:46 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

****{Rose}}}
Great to see you posting so much...
I totally agree with what you've said here, I was one of those who needed "soft, warm, fuzzy" recovery and sprinkled with lots of love, hugs and pats on the back...
and I will say that it worked for me.
I was sick and tired of living the life when I got here and I'd been beating up myself for years already...
If I'd been met with only "tough love" and sit down and shut up" I'd have never gone back to AA/NA.
I didn't trust people either, I've been surrounded by addicts and alcoholics my whole life...
I wasn't about to put my sobriety in the hands of a mere mortal, (read Sponsor)...
I went to as many meetings as I could when I got out of treatment and I used that whole group as a "sponsor"...what I wanted, and what I didn't want to be when I grew up to be a sober adult.
I refound my faith in God, and I did trust Him in His infinite wisdom, to give me everything I needed to hear comming out of the mouths of those people sitting in the rooms around the tables...
Sometimes I went to 3 meetings a day...
Today, I'm sober & clean after 4 & a half years and I rarely go to a F2F meeting.
I have never relapsed on my DOC...methamphetamines, nor have I used alcohol or any other recreational drugs.
I do however live my life along a spiritual program although I do not attend church.
I "work my own program" everyday...
I do daily readings and I visit a couple of sobriety websites.
My closest friends are my coworkers some of whom are aware of my situation and my lifestyle choice of sobriety.
They sometimes frequently go out to drink...and I know that I could go if I wanted, and remain sober but I choose not to go out with them.
I do however go to non drinking activities with some of them, such as out for breakfast or lunch.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:44 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

well, support comes in many ways
good and bad
take what you need
ande
leave the rest

peter mentioned "troll"
who was rsvp'ing to your post

i, personally, don't understand
why some go to sites and give bad, wrong advice
or just keep posting nonsense
but
go above that

best
fraankie
Old 04-13-2006, 09:40 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

People CAN get sober without AA. My mother is proof. And, hell, so am I, 130 days today!

AA or no AA - that's not the point here. Sobriety is the point of all of this.

Whatever works for you!!!!