Notices

Who agrees the laws must change?

Old 05-07-2006, 01:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unemployable?
I have to disagree, its sad that aggressive driver can hit and kill with no bad Repercussions. But someone who gets stop for a DUI, no crash involved, no injuries, no deaths, just the fact they failed a breath test, striped of all rights, harassed and discriminated against.

Before my conviction never, I don't go to bars. After many times I got the attitude what difference does it make? I can't find work and I would be better off back in jail or dead just like any terminally ill person with out support, they say who cares. So please give me support tell me what I can do. You may not like drunk drivers but if you don't do anything to correct the problem you are an accomplice.

You gotta be kidding me.

Accomplice?? I think not. I suspect you dont even believe that either. So,...are we to believe that you, being an alcoholic, never drove drunk? Never drove home drunk after being at a bar? You never went to a bar? If all that is true, then why are you so into this cause? Seems like alot of stress over something that doesnt directly involve you. Atleast not yet. I found work and I have three DUI's. I found work one month after I got sober at ROUSH RACING. I worked there for a year and I was laid off along with 35 other employees, and immediately found another job. I attend regular AA meetings and everyone I associate with has a job. Most of them got these jobs after they got their DUI's and got sober. Your drunk driving offenses are in your past. Nothing you can do about them. What would cracking down on 'aggressive' drivers do to help your case? It just kinda seems childish in a way. Like the kid who takes his ball and goes home so nobody can play. Just to make HIMSELF feel better about whats going on in his life. Maybe Im wrong. Thats just what jumped out at me when I read your posts. Also,...what would a bunch of anonymous people on a recovery website agreeing with you do to help your cause? Our support wouldnt even be tangible. Id say let it go and get working on a good resume. Work is out there. YOu just have to do your own dudiligence. I mean, if you're trying to get jobs that involve you driving, then I'd say you pretty much messed that up for yourself. Think about it,....if you were the hiring manager of a company would you hire someone who had a drunk driving on their record over someone who didnt? Some do, but, I cant blame the ones who dont. Companies have their own security to think about. A risk is a risk, whether it seems fair or not.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

My Husband and Myself own a Lawn and Garden Buisness in the town we live in. I and my son are both in recovery. We have at least 5 employees who are convicted felons, 3 who do not have drivers lic. they are working toward trying to get their lic. back. We have had to let one person go in the past few years b/c he began using meth on the job and that wasn't safe for the other employees or himself in the shop. He could have gotten hurt or hurt someone else. This man ended up going to prison. When he got out of prison he called my husband to ask for a job. My husband told him to come talk to him. He is now working for us again. We have found that people who are in recovery and working a program are more honest more dependable and more trustworthy usually than the average worker. My husband is not an alcoholic just father and spouse of alcoholics, he says he would rather hire an alcoholic in recovery any day before an "earth person". They work harder and they are easier to get along with. So don't discourage, keep looking, work a program of recovery and you will find where you are suspose to be. We can't be the only people out there like us. Debs
Old 05-07-2006, 03:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Then call me an accomplice. Unemployable, you've been crying and bellyaching about getting what you deserve to get by breaking the law. Deal with it. There are all kinds of jobs out there that I'm sure you can do. McDonalds hires anyone. So do other fast food places. Do what you have to do until this gets resolved.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:13 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I guess what I am trying to say (and this may sound harsh but I don't mean for it to) is That as long as you see yourself as a victum you will continue to wallow in the problem and nothing will change, you will stay miserable and eventually drink b/c thats what we do. When you get tired of hurting ( if you do before you drink) You will change your thinking and look for your part in the issue and then you will stop blaming and take responsibility for your own actions. Then you will get into the solution and will no longer be stuck wallowing in the problem. Thats when life will get better and possiably wonderful for you. I had to do this and it was very hard for me also and it hurt very badly so I do know how it stings when you hear this and Im sorry if it causes you pain. but if I don't tell you the truth then I haven't helped you and that would be worse. I truly love you Debs
Old 05-07-2006, 03:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

[QUOTE=Music]McDonalds hires anyone.QUOTE]
Funny they did not hire me. CT has two-part suspension for DUI. One is from the court and one is from DMV. So if you look at my driver record and you don't work for DMV it looks like two DUI's and that little extra CT law put on DRUGS. There were no drugs involved. Here is what it says, "operating under influence of Alcohol and or DRUGSā€ twice. My credit report says in red ink, big letters "Serious OFFENDER"; DUI Twice, Drugs twice. Out of one DUI, I have four offences??? I did talk to DMV and they said its true you have one DUI. But that is the way they list it.

So who cares about drunk drivers and their constitutional rights?

YOU should care. The importance of what is happening in DUI law and procedures can be summarized in one word: precedent.

DUI has gone from five years on driving record to ten. MASS has it for twelve years and talking about lifetime record.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Unemployable so I guess you are ignoring me?? sorry if you didn't like what I said but I doubt if you are going to get the laws changed in time to help your situation. So what should be your next coures of action. Well you could #1 stay mad and continue doing what you are doing. #2 you could read my post again and maybe take some suggestions #3 Talk face to face with someone in recovery ie.. a sponsor or a person with quality sobriety to help give you suggestions b/c I am definantly not a guru and my suggestions may not work for you. Sounds like you may have other deeper issues that you might need to work on. I know from personal experience that Willingness goes a long way. What ever you choose to do remember if you ask questions long enough to enough people you are ALWAYS going to find people who will agree with you even if you are wrong. Some serial killers had partners. Bank robbers had partners. Choose to ask and listen to HEALTHY people if you want to find HEALTHY answers. If you just want someone to agree with you then it dosn't matter who you ask or listen to. Go for it. God be with you, I love you Debs
Old 05-08-2006, 12:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by debsjsu
Unemployable so I guess you are ignoring me?? sorry if you didn't like what I said but I doubt if you are going to get the laws changed in time to help your situation. So what should be your next coures of action. Well you could #1 stay mad and continue doing what you are doing. #2 you could read my post again and maybe take some suggestions #3 Talk face to face with someone in recovery ie.. a sponsor or a person with quality sobriety to help give you suggestions b/c I am definantly not a guru and my suggestions may not work for you. Sounds like you may have other deeper issues that you might need to work on. I know from personal experience that Willingness goes a long way. What ever you choose to do remember if you ask questions long enough to enough people you are ALWAYS going to find people who will agree with you even if you are wrong. Some serial killers had partners. Bank robbers had partners. Choose to ask and listen to HEALTHY people if you want to find HEALTHY answers. If you just want someone to agree with you then it dosn't matter who you ask or listen to. Go for it. God be with you, I love you Debs
I listen to all help and try to work it. Thats what I came here for. The more help the better.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:56 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

If that be true then you have a decision to make...... What will it be..... Love be with you Debs
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I happen to think that a drunk driving SHOULD stay on your record for ten years. Why shouldnt it? Drunk driving takes thousands of lives each year. You drove drunk. You broke the law. Big time. Face what you've done. Geez
Old 05-08-2006, 03:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unemployable?
Before my conviction never, I don't go to bars.
Then how on earth did you get a DUI?

I wouldn't have a problem with hiring someone with a DUI who was remorseful and showing good recovery. I wouldn't, on the other hand, continue an interview beyond 5 minutes with someone who displayed an attitude like yours. That's the bottom line and I guess is what you are up against.

I truly wish you all the luck in the world, but I've a feeling your luck won't change until your attitude does.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

The thing about the law is they dont care that you drove after getting wasted at home, a bar, or at work.
You drove while intoxicated.
Thats illegal.
I would not hire anyone that was unable to accept responsiblity for their actions.

So, to answer your earlier question, I do not agree the laws should change!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
and going nowhere fast.

Tough break, unemployable. Can you imagine if we made any woman caught having extramarital sex wear a big scarlet letter on their clothes? Kinda the same thing, huh?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:54 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Is extra-marital sex against the law? No? Then, I guess it's not the same thing at all, however morally unacceptable either scenario may or may not be.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:05 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by minnie
Is extra-marital sex against the law? No? Then, I guess it's not the same thing at all, however morally unacceptable either scenario may or may not be.
Its not against law to drink and drive unless you are over the legal drinking limit. One more reason to change the law make it zero then it would be no gray area like my DUI.

Then how on earth did you get a DUI?

I wouldn't have a problem with hiring someone with a DUI who was remorseful and showing good recovery. I wouldn't, on the other hand, continue an interview beyond 5 minutes with someone who displayed an attitude like yours. That's the bottom line and I guess is what you are up against.

I truly wish you all the luck in the world, but I've a feeling your luck won't change until your attitude does.
07-15-1996 is the date of my offense. I regret my mistake,and it haunts me to this day. I have done my time and then some. I was just over the legal limit, yes my attitude did cause a more serious outcome at the time of arrest. There has been times that I have fallen off the wagon due to the fact that I was not able to obtain employment. Soon realized, I could not let that keep me down. I have learned to control my attitude and shown remorse for my actions. I have stopped drinking. I do not lie about my offense, nor do I bring an attitude with me while looking for a job. The fact is, when employers and myself included perform a driving record search, there are 4 offenses that appear, when in reality it was only one. I have been in continually contact with DMV to straighten this out, to no avail. They tell me: "Sorry sir, this is how we list it on the report."
Old 05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by elizabeth1979
The thing about the law is they dont care that you drove after getting wasted at home, a bar, or at work.
You drove while intoxicated.
Thats illegal.
I would not hire anyone that was unable to accept responsiblity for their actions.

So, to answer your earlier question, I do not agree the laws should change!
No I did not get a DWI I got a DUI
DWI is High B.A.C.
DUI is driving under the influence. In CT not sure about other states.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Isn't this coming to the 10 year period? How long does the CT DMV keep a single DUI on your drving record.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:05 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

It is unlikely that the laws will be changing in your favor. In fact, quite the opposite is true--the sheeples are chanting for tough on crime legislation, and DUI is nearly always on the top of their lists. For instance, during the Nixon administration, the legal limit was .15. During the 80's and 90's, the legal limit was .10. Now, the legal limit is .08. Essentially, you could be driving nearly double drunk by today's standards 30 years ago and it wouldn't have been a crime. Laws are nothing more than a collection of "don't-dos" orchestrated by a corrupt government elected by an oppressed, brainwashed populace. Either way, laws are nothing more than human-created controls put on society--the morality of the laws are also human-contrived. Most people are not intoxicated at .08, but it's illegal to operate a vehicle at that limit. At other times, it would have been legal, and in other countries it still is. Morality of it? It's subjective. Legality of it? It depends on where you live. Personally, I don't think employers should be forced to hire anybody, and I'm headstrong against quotas (racial or otherwise). The fact of the matter is, many people have DUI's on their record, and many of those people own businesses. They may be more sympathetic to your cause. Keep looking.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:08 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Concerning how long a DUI remains on your record--FOREVER. Your criminal record is never "wiped clean", whether it's 5 years, 10 years, or 50 years. However, if you are arrested for a SECOND DUI, they will only consider it your second DUI if your first occured within the past 5 years (10 in some states), and that goes for most felonies and misdemeanors. So, while the more time that passes between you and your crime, the less likely it will be brought up again in court should you be arrested again, it never actually leaves your record. Even when you have your record expunged, it's still there.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:29 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
and going nowhere fast.

I was trying to draw a comparision between the way "unemployable" is marked for life by his DUI, and theme of the book "The Scarlet Letter". Sorry if you didn't get it, but I still think they're kind of the same thing.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

There has been times that I have fallen off the wagon due to the fact that I was not able to obtain employment
I see.
Clearly your slips were someone elses fault.
You still broke the law.
I agree that its unfortunate that gainful employment is hard to find after conviction.

I know people with DUI's and Felony Assault and posession convictions and they found work.

Im sorry you are struggling so much with this, there is a way through this. But its up to you to find the way though it, not find the way around it.