Notices

Please Dear Lord, Let Me Stay Sober

Old 05-25-2006, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please Dear Lord, Let Me Stay Sober

So much of my life revolves around the drinking habits of attorneys and undlerlings I need to find my wings!! And be free from addiction once and for all. Please help me. How might I suggest such a task? I am not nearly as sexy abstaining. Such a lonely existence.

GJ
Old 05-25-2006, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Thinking back, I really don't think I was very sexy stumbling drunk. Think about it. I really never was at my best drunk, my haze may have fooled me into thinking so. I now know that was never true. There is life without attorneys, underlings and drink. Give it time and you will see. Glad your posting and take care.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DaisyJ, I am an attorney and I don't behave in the fashion that you suggest, in fact that type of conduct was why I left the big firm and the big city. Now here in smallsville, I can tell you i've found attornies with integrity and who drink only moderately if at all, and support staff that are amazingly wonderful people and ALL ARE SOBER... maybe it is just the firm you are working at...

Levi
Old 05-26-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

This post made me think about how those people who drink a lot are so unattractive to me now. Really don't want that kind of mind numbingly boring conversation that soon becomes slurred and wasted. Not attractive stuff at all. I can't believe that I didn't see it all before, the gems of people I often missed or under valued. I sure feel a lot more attractive now I don't have such red eyes and fuzzy head.

I might have to wait a bit of time before I find someone who I think is attractive and who finds me attractive, but all good things are worth waiting for now.

Stay strong, I went through a lot of stages before realising that real attractiveness is not found in a bar.

love Brigid
Old 05-26-2006, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Originally Posted by 2dayzmuse
Thinking back, I really don't think I was very sexy stumbling drunk.
I'll 2nd that.....

DJ - you'll find your true beauty comes out when you see the world sober, and the world smiles back at you. Promise!!

Hugs,
DG
Old 05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Michael

I used to have a high opinion of myself and my abilities when I was drinking. I used to believe I was witty, friendly, funny, amusing and good company. Now that I am sober I realise these wonderful gifts were figments of my alcoholic imagination. I also realise, now that I can look at drunks for what they really are, that I was in all probability a boring, repetitive, loud mouthed oaf. I have yet to see a man or a woman who becomes more sexy or attractive in drink. All I see is people whose inhibitions are removed by alcohol and who then behave in ways that they never would if sober.
Life is infinitely more real in sobriety, alcohol adds nothing real to life and exacts a high price for the dreams and falsehoods it peddles.
Michael
Old 05-26-2006, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's nothing sexy about being drunk. It's just hard for me to feel that way without liquid courage. I am hoping in time that will pass.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Michael

Daisy,
It is very hard in the early days of sobriety to see a social life beyond alcohol. Everything seems to be so much easier with a drink in your hand. It takes a while to realise and get comfortable with the fact that when you are sober the rest of the world is seeing the real you all the time. As drinkers we tend to portray the kind of person we think we would like to be. We act a part, be it sexy, worldly-wise, avuncular story teller, whatever. The problem is it isn't who we are. It is just an illusion, an act. The real you is clearly more shy and demure than the drinking you and I would bet that there are any number of people in the world who prefer shy and demure to in-your-face sexy.
Give them the real you, it's honest and everyone admires honesty.
Michael
Old 05-26-2006, 10:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Give them the real you, it's honest and everyone admires honesty.
Michael[/QUOTE]

Honesty is sexy, and so is sobriety.

GJ