Notices

Who agrees the laws must change?

Old 03-16-2006, 03:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Each day Americans grow more and more likely to take out their personal frustrations on other drivers. It is called aggressive driving and it is on the incline.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the definitions of aggressive driving and road rage are as follows:
Aggressive Driving
" The commission of two or more moving violations that is likely to endanger other persons or property, or any single intentional violation that requires a defensive reaction of another driver. "

Road Rage
" An assault with a motor vehicle or other dangerous weapon by the operator or passenger(s) of one motor vehicle on the operator or passenger(s) of another motor vehicle caused by an incident that occurred on a roadway.
"
Following too close.
Speeding.
Weaving in and out of traffic.
Speeding up to beat a traffic light.
Cutting between vehicles to change lanes.
Using the horn excessively.
Flashing headlights excessively at oncoming traffic.
Braking to get others to back off your bumper.
Passing traffic and then slowing to teach the other driver a lesson.
IMPAIRED DRIVING FACTS
In 2004, 14,409 traffic fatalities occurred in crashes in which at least one driver or non-occupant had a BAC of 0.08 or greater. (NHTSA, 2005)

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

In 2004, more than two-thirds of the 42,639 highway deaths were related to aggressive driving.

For years the highway safety spotlight has been focused on the “impaired drivers” said National Highway Traffic Safety Administrator Ricardo Martinez. Today we must add the aggressive driver to the list of those contributing to the problems on our nation's highways.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Aggressive drivers must have the same penalties as drunk drivers or more stringent!!
Old 03-17-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Unemployable. If you have a problem with the laws, why don't you take your gripes to the people who can do something about your problem. This website isn't here for you to use as your soapbox.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by Peter_“Forum Leader”
Welcome:In the spirit of unity.

Welcome to the Alcoholism forum.

In here we share our experiences strengths and hopes as it relates to the issue of Alcoholism.

Please feel free to participate and tell us about your own particular method of dealing with alcohol,bearing in mind to always be respectful of other members and to whatever method they might employ for staying sober.

There are many roads to recovery and we don’t all choose the same one.Remember it is not our place to try and decide what is best for another.

The written word is a powerful instrument.It has the power to heal as well as to cause injury.Please share responsibly.

By helping to maintain an atmosphere of encouragement and support we can all hear a message of hope and walk away with something useful.

In a spirit of unity all of us are winners.
"Music" To bad you can't follow forum rules.

I'm trying to make my life and others who've made the mistake of a one time offense, not to be repeated by encourgaging employment and soberity. In no way am I profitting from my opinions. There is a world of information out there and I am gathering for keeping my soberity and possible employment. I will continue to pass any interesting information found to fellow members.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unemployable?
"Music" To bad you can't follow forum rules.

I'm trying to make my life and others who've made the mistake of a one time offense, not to be repeated by encourgaging employment and soberity. In no way am I profitting from my opinions. There is a world of information out there and I am gathering for keeping my soberity and possible employment. I will continue to pass any interesting information found to fellow members.
Quote Peter:
"In here we share our experiences strengths and hopes as it relates to the issue of Alcoholism."

Maybe I'm missing something. I fail to see how most everything you've posted, relates to the issue of anything other than you screwed up, got caught and can't get over it. "soberity" I assume is supposed to be SIBRIETY .
Old 03-19-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

yeah, that's a tough one
you are in the program
or sober
and you want to be honest
in the meantime, if you tell the truth
you don't get the job
if you lie or mistakenly omit a dui / dwi
and they find out
you are fired

do your best
tell the truth is the only way
and
hope someone will help you enough to hire you

best
fraankie
Old 03-29-2006, 11:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You could always apply for a pardon and then in the future you would not have to disclose this. Kinda like the final step in taking responsibility for your past is putting closure on it by taking away this badge of stigma. Where I live employers don't ask that, but as part of my profession I had to inform the responsible body. Given the dated nature of it, over fifteen years ago, they didn't see it as an issue. The flip side is it got me to thinking why haven't I obtained a pardon? The answer, I have been beating myself up with it from time to time rather than putting it behind me. Result, I am going for the pardon.

Unfortunately, from an employer's perspective they have valid concerns if you are required to drive a vehicle as part of your employment. While the past is the past is the past, they are relying on insurers who rely on statistical analysis to indicate the probability of an event. Anything outside of the norm creates a risk they don't want to insure.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Hello leviathon,
What more did you find out about a pardon?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

As I have said, I live in Canada, the laws are different. You will need to look into it in the US for your purposes. For me it is a straightforward application that I can do myself and which I am doing. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Unemployable,

Contact an attorney and ask about an expungement. That would remove it from your court records but it stays on your driving record. That's if you are eligible...

You'd prolly need the state and county of arrest, date of offense, social security number and case number.

Some places might let you file for yourself. You could ask the DA's office in the county about the necessary form(s).

Good Luck.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Kierra6, I did get free initial counciltation from many good recomended attorney's but they all say the damage is done. There was many things I could of done before but my apeal date is long gone. they only give you ten days to apeal. In my state laws varies from state to state. Even though DUI is not the #1 killer on the road. Check out the #1 killer and the funny thing is you do not even get atleast a slap on the hand??

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/20/dri...udy/index.html

I do agree when someone is drunk and driving and hit and kill someone the penalties should be harse!
But different degees of punishment for cases like mine where there was no crash no injuries or death. Furthermore, the fact that the alleged engaged in similar behavior in the past does not necessarily mean that he or she will do it again.

I hope we stop the drunk drivers and the employment discrimination and the harassment by MADD!
I made a mistake I admit diminished capacity do to alchol consumptoin I did my time but the law needs to get over it for others like myself can get on with thier life and not do it again by drowning thier sorrows.
In his 2004 State of the Union address, President Bush correctly stated: ‘‘We know from long experience that if [former prisoners] can’t find work, or a home, or help, they are much more likely to commit more crimes and return to prison. . . . America is the land of the second chance, and when the gates of the prison open, the path ahead should lead to a better life.’
Old 05-06-2006, 01:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Aggressive drivers must have the same penalties as drunk drivers or more stringent!!

I agree that aggressive drivers need to be cracked down on, but, drunk driving is far more serious. In my opinion, anyways. People driving around in a blackout scares me alot more.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by inlandza
It seams to me that you are not on a program and if you are you are not working it!!
AA & NA are to of the best recovery programs in the world but only if you work them and if you are working them you will see that you will find work and be able to grow into the man you want to be and not the con you are!!
You've gotta be kidding...
Old 05-06-2006, 04:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by earlybird
I agree that aggressive drivers need to be cracked down on, but, drunk driving is far more serious. In my opinion, anyways. People driving around in a blackout scares me alot more.
Are you sure?
In 2004, 14,409 traffic fatalities occurred in crashes in which at least one driver or non-occupant had a BAC of 0.08 or greater. (NHTSA, 2005)

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also said in 2005

In 2004, aggressive driving killed 42,639 and millions more injuries and car wrecks.
I never said take away the DUI law just it needs to do what it was intended to do. They keep getting tougher on drunk drivers but the facts show the problem is getting worse not better.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yes, but you keep saying things like "They keep getting tougher on drunk drivers, and not on aggressive drivers"

One law getting tougher, has nothing to do with the other. I still believe they should keep getting tougher on drunk drivers regardless if they dont on aggressive ones.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Unemployable, how many times did you drive drunk before your conviction and how many times after?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

In his 2004 State of the Union address, President Bush correctly stated: ‘‘We know from long experience that if [former prisoners] can’t find work, or a home, or help, they are much more likely to commit more crimes and return to prison. . . .
America is the land of the second chance, and when the gates of the prison open, the path ahead should lead to a better life.

HR 4676 IH

In my 9yrs clean I have taken hundreds of preemployment drug test passed everone . But the fact is Company's don't like "serious offenders" they put it on alot of aplication don't applie if you got a DUI. Some don't and when they see that I put it down they say sorry your to much of a risk or if they do hire me and thier INS. CO. see my DUI they say well your a drug addict and to stay employed you need treament. To prove my point again I have been with a Co. for awhile and Co. policy says if you have a accident you must take a drug test. Well I had one and only accident but, not only drug tested but I had to take a breathelizer well I passed both but lost my job again. The INS. Co says you are to much of a risk. There are people at work not as long as me there who have many accidents and still there???
Please sign my Petition.
http://www.petitiononline.com/dui10yrs/petition.html
I am trying to make a honest liveing. But my DUI is on Credit report, driving history and rap sheet as "serious offender" for life becuase of CT. laws and no I can't move to another state every state has DUI agreement.
Well no, not every state observes another's DUI conviction. There are 7 states whose laws are far more lenient. Kansas does not, for instance.

I myself have two DUI's. There are some doors that are closed to me. That's the consequence of my actions, choices and behavior. It's my responsibility to prove that I can be a productive, law-abiding citizen and dependable employee. There are times when I'm trying to accomplish things within that framework and I come up against a brick wall. Well, that's just life. It's not easy and at times, it seems overly punitive. Then the question becomes, "what can I do?"

Reality and common sense tell me that the laws will become more strict. I have an obligation to myself to figure out a way to lessen that impact now.

Am I going to get the laws changed to make my life easier?...bwahahahahaha!!!!

Am I going to sit and cry about lost opportunities? That's not gonna get my bills paid.

How about if I try to tell employers they should change the qualifications and requirements of a position just because I think I deserve special consideration? Hmm...I wanted to be an astronaut, or an astrophysicist when I was a kid. I'm gonna send my resume to NASA, 'cause I deserve a chance. My driving record sucks, but I promise I'll be real careful with that space shuttle!

The most accurate predictor of future behavior is past performance. My past demonstrates high-risk behavior. I know this and I have to do everything I can to make the present reflect something positive. What I do today has a bearing on my future. How can I make that risk-taking work for me and become an asset? How can I adapt to my current circumstances? How do I succeed, when I've stacked the deck against myself?

I've identified my options, assets, strengths and weaknesses. I've done some networking. I've done my homework and I've been a little creative in the planning stange. It's all project management and those are substantial skills.

Accept your problem, figure out where you want to go and then create a map to get there. Use your strengths and work on your weaknesses. You cannot change your past and you can't make it go away but you can learn and grow from it. When you adopt that attitude and begin to reflect it, you'll find that people will want to help you open doors. They just prolly won't be the ones you expected and you'll get some new options.

Just my personal experience,

Ki
Old 05-07-2006, 04:58 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

sorry, double submission

Last edited by Kierra6; 05-07-2006 at 05:01 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 05-07-2006, 05:38 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by earlybird
Yes, but you keep saying things like "They keep getting tougher on drunk drivers, and not on aggressive drivers"

One law getting tougher, has nothing to do with the other. I still believe they should keep getting tougher on drunk drivers regardless if they dont on aggressive ones.
I have to disagree, its sad that aggressive driver can hit and kill with no bad Repercussions. But someone who gets stop for a DUI, no crash involved, no injuries, no deaths, just the fact they failed a breath test, striped of all rights, harassed and discriminated against.
Originally Posted by minnie
Unemployable, how many times did you drive drunk before your conviction and how many times after?
Before my conviction never, I don't go to bars. After many times I got the attitude what difference does it make? I can't find work and I would be better off back in jail or dead just like any terminally ill person with out support, they say who cares. So please give me support tell me what I can do. You may not like drunk drivers but if you don't do anything to correct the problem you are an accomplice.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I went DUI when I was 19 and then once again when I was about 34. Never hurt anyone. I could have been picked up many, many times when in my late teens, early twenties but I just didn't get caught. I have no idea how I didn't hurt anyone including myself but I didn't. I don't remember most of the driving, some nights I remember coming to, driving somewhere, having no idea of where I was, it was really frightening.

I paid my fines, I did my time without my licence, I admitted my guilt and I thanked god that no one got hurt and I prayed I learned. I must admit I never looked at the other offences that people made on the road to justify or diminish my own responsibility.

After reading the attitude here unemployable, I feel somewhat better about my response to my own charges. At least I accepted that I did the wrong thing and didn't look at finding other wrongs to make mine seem less.

I am a firm believer that if you do the crime you pay the time. I also think that makes for a better attitude in the future.

I am an awful speeder, not a massive amount over the speed limit but enough, I am just useless. After an untold number of speeding fines, I am starting to learn to slow down. Without the fines (and they need to hurt) I will just continue to do the same old thing.

Learn the lesson, move on, do the right thing, stop whining that you got caught and looking at other people's bad actions to justify your own as being ok. My experience is that this is better for me in the long run. I encourage you to be responsible for your actions.

love Brigid