Notices

Who agrees the laws must change?

Old 05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by elizabeth1979
I see.
Clearly your slips were someone elses fault.
You still broke the law.
I agree that its unfortunate that gainful employment is hard to find after conviction.

I know people with DUI's and Felony Assault and posession convictions and they found work.

Im sorry you are struggling so much with this, there is a way through this. But its up to you to find the way though it, not find the way around it.
Any sugestions to get though this tough time?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by Unemployable?
Any sugestions to get though this tough time?
Hi unEmployable. Check out this post by Don S on LFT (Low Frustration Tolerance):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...39&postcount=8

My number one suggestion at present would be acceptance of the situation. I do believe there are some unfair aspects (possible "trumped up" charges). There are organizations that help people in your situation to find employment, and even assist with funding for education. My brother is a convicted felon, received free education as a result, and is now a skilled machinist making $22.00 an hour.

Also, check out what happened to me four years ago: I was sitting in the backseat of a "friend's" car with an open beer. We were at a nearby public park with the engine off. The police came, and gave us all tickets for Open Intoxicant. Oh, well this s*cks, I thought, a $100.00 ticket. Well, that's not all it was; turns out a ticket for Open Intoxicant, whether I got it while walking down the street or sitting in a car, is considered a Moving Violation in the State of Michigan, a misdemeanor, and 2 points on my driving record. Not only that, but my car insurance nearly doubled, my employer's insurance company would not insure me and I was unable to drive for them for nearly a year. And no, the court was not kind enough to explain the situation on my DMV record.

Know what else? I had just cracked that 40 and taken ONE sip when the cops came.

Life ain't fair sometimes, I know.

There are some good suggestions on this thread. Good luck to you.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:10 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by Autumn
Hi unEmployable. Check out this post by Don S on LFT (Low Frustration Tolerance):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...39&postcount=8
I checked it out but I beg to differ "LFT" is a imaginary obstacle. Unlike the real obstacle what is on my credit report in BIG RED LETTERS "SERIOUS OFFENDER". I have one and only DUI but CT. DMV lists DUI two times and DRUGS twice. And all I get from DMV sorry thats how we list it.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

I don't generally subscribe to the "tuff luv" stuff, but TAKE A REALITY CHECK already ... You can do other jobs besides drive. FIND ONE.

The laws changed because people were dying and being maimed by drunk drivers. END OF STORY. The law is as the law is. If you disagree higher a lawyer and fight it. Otherwise LET IT GO already.

Stop focussing on this issue. Stop rationalizing your bitterness over this issue. You are angry. DEAL WITH THAT FACT. There is a lot more going on with you than this licence issue. Deal with all of your issues not just this superficial issue.

There are millions of paths to the same goals: sobriety, health, happiness, employment, etc. Find one. Live it.

Peace, Levi
Old 05-13-2006, 01:03 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by leviathon
I don't generally subscribe to the "tuff luv" stuff, but TAKE A REALITY CHECK already ... You can do other jobs besides drive. FIND ONE.

The laws changed because people were dying and being maimed by drunk drivers. END OF STORY. The law is as the law is. If you disagree higher a lawyer and fight it. Otherwise LET IT GO already.

Stop focussing on this issue. Stop rationalizing your bitterness over this issue. You are angry. DEAL WITH THAT FACT. There is a lot more going on with you than this licence issue. Deal with all of your issues not just this superficial issue.

There are millions of paths to the same goals: sobriety, health, happiness, employment, etc. Find one. Live it.

Peace, Levi
When did I say I wanted a driving job? I just need any work. Like I said Mcdonalds turn me down for a job. I stated in many post what work for you and what suggestions for me. The first post was a poll but this evolved in to a lot more.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Unemployable?
Unlike the real obstacle what is on my credit report in BIG RED LETTERS "SERIOUS OFFENDER". I have one and only DUI but CT. DMV lists DUI two times and DRUGS twice. And all I get from DMV sorry thats how we list it.
I have to admit that the DMV record doesn't make sense. One DUI should be one DUI. And I had no idea that kind of stuff goes on a credit report. It's also hard to believe that all the jobs in CT require such extensive backround checks. Atleast it's almost off your record. I wish you luck, bro.

Doorknob
Old 05-13-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
I have to admit that the DMV record doesn't make sense. One DUI should be one DUI. And I had no idea that kind of stuff goes on a credit report. It's also hard to believe that all the jobs in CT require such extensive backround checks. Atleast it's almost off your record. I wish you luck, bro.

Doorknob
Don't forget knob. We're only getting one side of the story here. Besides, people move from state to state every day lessor reasons than they don't like the DMV.

Levi, I'm proud of you man!! Tough love is just that! There comes a time when no matter how much I might care about someone, it's just time to cut the crap. I just cut through the crap a little faster than most folks.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:39 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by doorknob
And I had no idea that kind of stuff goes on a credit report.

Doorknob
Niether did I. Until one company I applied gave it to me and siad it is the law any adverse things that can effect employment and or credit you have the right to know. Something about they have to verifie I am who I say I am and not a fugitive or non US citizen.
On a side note

Several lawsuits and consumer complaints in the last few years have accused ChoicePoint of providing inaccurate and out-of-date information in its criminal background reports, resulting in unfair job losses for applicants.
Even though a federal law requires consumer reporting agencies -- as third parties who conduct background checks for employers are called -- to either verify the data they give employers or notify job applicants when they provide adverse information to an employer, ChoicePoint appears to be doing neither in some cases.
The company was found guilty of breaking the law in one case in which an applicant lost a job over outdated information, but other cases were settled out of court or are still being investigated.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by Music
Tough love is just that! There comes a time when no matter how much I might care about someone, it's just time to cut the crap. I just cut through the crap a little faster than most folks.
Uh oh.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:02 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
alconaut

Unemployable (I sure would like to call you by a different name),

I'm sorry if my post offended you. And please don't think I don't understand.

Five years ago, I was involved in a drunken bar brawl (how ladylike), and I was arrested for felony assault charges. I plead not-guilty (I wasn't guilty to the extent of a felony), went to trial, and the charge was reduced to a misdemeanor.

A couple of weeks ago, I applied with an employer who did a background check through AbsoluteHire. The charge came back as showing as a felony. Now, I have this loser job getting - at best - 20 hours per week (for a company that doesn't deserve a third of my brain cells). The job I applied for was as an assistant baker (rolling dough, woo hoo - but still better than what I've got). I was turned down for the job, even though I went through all the motions to prove it was a misdemeanor, and was honest on the application. Doesn't matter it was five years ago, I was drunk, and it's a misdemeanor assault charge.

Guess they're afraid I might stuff someone in an oven or whack 'em with a rolling pin.

At first I was really embarrassed and bummed about it, but I realize that there ARE things I can do. I just haven't done them, so therefore I kinda feel like it's a waste of time to dwell on it or feel sorry for myself.

Before I am eligible to have the charge expunged from my record (next January) I just sorta have to suck it up if I choose to continue sitting on my a** and not keep looking.

Most of my job skills involve driving. Even after the assault charge is gone, the Open Intoxicant will probably show on my DMV record up to ten years. So I can probably forget anything that involves driving. And it's not even a DUI.

Remember too that we are definitely not the only ones going through this type of thing. Lots of drunks/prior drunks have records. Time goes by pretty fast, and the charges won't show forever. Be grateful you DON'T have a felony! Those never go away.

Have you thought about getting a State ID? I thought you mentioned something about your license being all marked up.

We can only do what we can do, so keep on keepin' on.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:23 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

What kinds of jobs are you applying for?!?!? Government Jobs??? If McDonalds didnt hire you, Im sure it wasnt for the DUI. They hire ex-cons. Car washes, Janitorial work, landscaping, Lawn services, construction, warehouse work, truck loading, Hi/Lo driver, .......these are all jobs you COULD get if you would put a shred of as much energy into it as you are with this crusade.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:57 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

hypothetically, If you were a perspective employer would you hire me? Just a few Co. I talk to said yes they would even though they know in advance I have one and only one DUI. But the first thing everybody does is ask for my ID. And when they check they see four offenses. Do you as a perspective employer take the time to call DMV and have them explain this in english? Or would you call the person you were going to hire back in? My friend Music says it all.
Originally Posted by Music
We're only getting one side of the story here.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

No, I honestly would not call the DMV and check.
However, I can tell you that if you applied for a job in my department..disclosed the info, why it is not 4 offenses and offered any sort of documentation regarding your efforts to fight the DMV listing of 4 offenses, I would believe you enough to put you through to the next stage of the hiring process, provided you met all other qualifications.

See, I think its a matter of changing what you can and accepting what you cant.

You may not be able to change the DMV..and they are a nightmare. But, YOU CAN change your approach, attitude, and tenacity!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

OK, I have sat back on this one long enough.

I say YES, the laws MUST CHANGE. We are being buried in laws pushed through by some WAY OVERZEALOUS, highly vocal groups like MADD, SADD, and ya'll know the others. It has gotten WAY outta control.

Yes, Drunk Driving is a problem, so is armed robbery, assault, and counterfeiting. There are career criminals out there that need to be checked. I totally support the three strikes and you’re out laws. Personally, I think three felony convictions should qualify for the Death Penalty.

That being said, there are also an awful lot of fellow humans that make mistakes. Some of us get caught, and some, but the grace of God, get through our mistakes without it involving the criminal justice system.

I believe that once someone that paid his debt to society, took the punishment that this society decided was appropriate for the crime, deserves to re-enter society free and unencumbered.

Yes, certain things should be tracked, like sex offenders. But even this information should be available ONLY to those that need it.

I don’t think an employer has a right to know if you had a DUI, DWI, whatever, past a certain amount of time back. Nor should he know that a youthful version of this responsible family man standing before him once stole a car, 20 years ago.

I personally know many people that did things 5-10-20 years ago that they regret. These people have moved on to become responsible adults, they “got it” and moved on. What purpose does it serve to have this crap haunt them. What happened to our rights to privacy?

I would like to see a system in place that could, after a reasonable amount of time, allow a person to show they have moved on, and get the stuff off the record and moved to a place that only someone who needs to know it can see it, like a sentencing judge if he gets in trouble again, but not his credit card company, or future employer.

I could write a book, but I felt I had to add my two cents here.

Unemployable, I’m sorry you have the issues you do, I think a lot of it sucks. My humble opinion will not change your world. But, as I often tell my children, it is like a boulder in the road, you will not move it, you just have to find a way around it. I don’t know what you do for a trade, but one answer is for you to start your own business. After all, the background check on your first employee is already complete.

Good luck to ya, pal, we’re here to help.
S