Notices

i need help

Old 05-08-2002, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i need help

i'm new to the board and i posted a message on the AA forum to. i drink vodka everyday even after meetings. i want to stop but i cant!!! what is a sponser and how do i get one. i cant do it alone!!!
jimmyk
Old 05-08-2002, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Julia

Jimmy,

Do you have the means to go into a treatment program?

A sponsor is a person who helps to guide you through working the steps, yet before you can start working the steps, I believe, you have to stop drinking first. There are other people here who can enlighten you better than I on this subject.

If you are able to go into a program where you can detox, and then get a few weeks clean, it might help you get started on the road to recovery.

Juls

Old 05-08-2002, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Hey Jimmy,

I agree with Juls... Time out for detox is in your best interest.

I am somewhat confused however. Your post indicates you are active in AA.. Or at least have attended meetings.. Do you ever ask questions at the meetings? Like "What Is A Sponsor"? "How Do You Get One" Do you ever pick up any literature at the meetings...? Do you share in the meeting what you are going through? It really does make a difference to open up and ask..

If you go to the Main Page on this site, you will find resourses to help you in your search for a detox facility in your area. You could also ask at the next AA meeting you attend, or look in the phone book, or call a hospital, and they can direct you..

Detox from alcohol is very serious, and nothing to play around with. Again, my suggestion is to first enter a detox facility. Take a little time of of your life right now and invest it in getting sober under medical supervision.

Blessings upon you,

DenF

Old 05-08-2002, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i havent talked much at meetings. Im a little afraid of sounding stupid or ignorent.
i know i should stop drinking but i love the feelin it gives me. no matter how bad things get, drinking a fast pint of vodka always makes me feel good for a while. people at aa say if I work the steps i'll change and not want to drink. i don't get what the heck they mean. i haven't drank today so i guess ive had a good day but im misereble!!!
Old 05-08-2002, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Jimmy,

Understand, we have all been where you are at. No one is going to think you are foolish for asking questions. The exact opposite! When you ask a question at a meeting, you are helping them help you. That's another reason we keep going to meetings, to be there for the newcomer when he ask a question. If you don't ask, you are denying someone the blessing of helping you.. You don't want to do that, do you?

I really pray you think about detox.

Den

Old 05-09-2002, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i woke up sober!!! i'm on my way to meeting now. day 2 is cool. i hope i can make it. thanks every one!
jim
Old 05-09-2002, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Hooray Jim -
go to that meeting and ask for help, I promise you no-one will think you are stupid. As the Rev said pick up some literature. they have pamplets that will discribe everything to you, from what a sponsor is to everything else you will here.
I hope you have a great day - you are worth it!!!
Keep coming back.
Pauline
Old 05-09-2002, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Julia

Jimmy,

Congrats on 2 days of sobriety. Even though you may not be physically feeling good yet, your right that any day sober is a good day.

I'm happy for you.

Juls

Old 05-09-2002, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for you're concern about me. went to a meeting this morning and got really pissed off at some guy who kept talking about all of his great drinking adventures. why do people have to keep talkin abot drinkin? it just makes me want it and now i'm sittin here thinking about it. help!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Hey Jimmy,

We call them "War Stories" and they are not supposed to be discussed in a meeting. The chairperson should have cut him off. Or at least, after the person passed, reminded the group that "that is not what we are here for."

Did you get any literature while you were there? Its times like this you need to break your commitment to stay sober down to hours and minutes. Say to yourself... "I am not going to drink for the next hour." And keep doing it. Watch your thinking... Think on positive things. Stay active... hit another meeting. When I first came around, I was hitting two, three meetings a day. Seven days a week.

Remember, our rooms are filled with people who are at different stages in their recovery journey. This person who was glorifying his using days, has a way to go... Pray for him/her.

I hung with the winners!

Den

Old 05-09-2002, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have to admit and I hope I won't get jumped on for this but I noticed that too. It got very depressing listening to stories of drunkeness and personal pain. There were others that laughed when retelling their misadventures. Near tragic stories became knee slappers and I heard some say they wanted to go out drinking after a meeting. I have to say that I personally found that a bit overwhelming.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i'm still sober!!! maybe I can make it this time. i cant get to a meeting tonight but reading all these letters and stuff really helps. why do i want to drink and not want to drink all at the same time??? if i can just get to sleep tonight without drinkin i'll have 3 days tomorrow!!
Den, thanks for your help with that war stories stuff. is it o.k. for me to ask those kind of people to shut up or something? i'm there to get away from thinkin bout drinkin! they should get a clue.
jim
Old 05-10-2002, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i'm sober 3 days now!!! i think i'm starting to have a clearer head now. i was looking at my posts and i've got to say sorry for all the spelling mistakes and stuff. maybe i'll start writing on word and editing before i post. anyway, thanks for all the support. i'm going to a noon meeting today. you guys and ladies are really cool.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey there, jimmyk, I'm with ya' all the way. I totally agree about finding it hard to listen to people talk about their old "habits". I cave really bad if I start to remember. This is going on my 60th day. I too liked the pints of absolut. I'm having a hell of a time today, am craving REALLY bad. I just keep reminding myself how gross I would feel after the initial buzz is gone. I don't need the headache or the grumpies or the NEED water !!!! thing anymore. Think the Rev. had some good advise about telling yourself to just make it to the next hour, or 30 min. Sometimes just having a cup in my hand with water in it helps me. You CAN do it!!!!
Old 05-10-2002, 08:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Hey Jimmy,

Here is a suggestion:

Instead of telling the person who is telling War Stories" to shut up. Bring it up as a topic. That would have much more impact..

Congrats on the 3 days!

Den

Old 05-12-2002, 08:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi!
I just got back from Mom's house and I'm still sober. That's 5 days. This is incredible. I'm going to bed now, I'll check back in tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help and support!
jimmyk
AA rocks!
Old 05-13-2002, 06:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Jimmyk -Hooray for you!!! Keep up the good work.
God Bless -
Pauline
A friend in Recovery - we can all do this together.!!
Old 05-13-2002, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is the morning of day 6! I'm going to a noon meeting. I can't help thinking about how much I want to drink! it wood be so easy to stop by the liquor store and grab a pint. I'm powerless over it. sure hope somebody at the meeting can stop me from doing it. i'm really craving that stuff!
Old 05-13-2002, 07:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

jimmyk -
speak up at the meeting and tell someone what you just posted here, more people will want to help you than you can even imagine.
I am praying for you.
Pauline
A friend in recovery!!
Old 05-13-2002, 02:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Jimmy, I can only tell you that if someone bought me a Bud I'd sit on the bar stool and listen to his war story all night.
I have had to, and am still learning to except the good and bad of recovery. I just remind myself where would I rather be listening to a long story. Sober at an AA/NA meeting or drunk next to another drunk on some bar stool. If need be, my sponsor told me to sit there quietly and try to memorize the preamble or what ever. Don