Notices

Friday with a Problem

Old 03-01-2024, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday with a Problem

Well, I admit it. I have a drinking problem. Took the week off because my sister came to visit and I've drank pretty near every day. My sister drinks a little but can control her intake. I haven't drank to the point of falling down or anything, but I have gotten drunk about every evening. And every morning I wake up thinking "well, I feel awful right now." So stupid. I feel so weak and whimpy with this. It shouldn't be this hard to only have a couple beers and be done.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It shouldn't be this hard to only have a couple beers and be done.
I think all of us who finally quit drinking probably went through this phase of trying to "learn" to drink in moderation. I tried every alcoholic's trick in the book. Change drinks, change where I drank, keep track with matchstick-counting (LOLOLOL) - yeah, that was ridiculous. Not buying it for the house. Not drinking during the week. Having one or two then quitting.

It doesn't work.

Good luck with that.

It is a whole lot easier to just stop completely than suffer the repeated failures of the moderation experiment. It will never work. It's addiction.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Cuddly.

What are you going to do differently this time? I see you have been around here at SR. Do you know what will help you stay sober? If you do that a good start.

You never have to drink again if you use the support generously offered here. Post before you drink, and join some ongoing threads. Stay close to SR. Think of SR as a lifeline to a better life free from the drink.

Glad to help you anytime.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi ABCCuddly
I was only able to stop drinking when I finally admitted there would never be 'just one'. I insisted I could control how many I had if I used enough willpower. That attitude led me to daily drinking & a ruined life. So much misery would have been avoided if I'd only seen the truth - I can't touch the stuff - ever.

I'm happy you're here to talk things over - it really helps when we can be honest. We all understand what you're going through.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is no shame or weakness in stopping things that
are not good for you/me/us if it means continued physical,
mental, emotional, even spiritual sickness.

In order to get better, healthier, sober means complete
abstinence. No half measures. It's either one or the other.
Drunk or sober.

Continue to listen, learn, absorb and apply helpful
recovery tools in your everyday life to help you achieve
sobriety by living your life in recovery.

By stepping up and doing this for yourself makes you
responsible for your actions, your life, your health.

A recovery support system like what is here in SR
can help you with many caring, concerned, supportive
folks like yourself. Many who themselves are achieving
continued sobriety a day at a time.

Welcome.!
Old 03-01-2024, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

no it shouldn’t…and admitting that it was impossible for me to do that was my first step into accepting my alcoholism.

It was a lot easier for me to be a non drinker than it was an alcoholic trying to drink in moderation.
D
Old 03-02-2024, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are alcoholic you have a different physical reaction to alcohol than the average person.

Its like an allergic reaction. Some people break out in hives from allergies. I break out in handcuffs.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I admit it. I have a drinking problem.

Since you joined this website in 2019, I think you've known about this for some time. But I don't think that's unusual, I knew I had a drinking problem at age 27 but didn't quit until age 47. And then after 5+ years of sobriety, I thought I was cured and could have a couple of beers again. That didn't work out very well, and I had to work very hard to get sober again.

Denial is a powerful thing. Now that you've admitted you are powerless over alcohol, what are you going to do about it?

Old 03-05-2024, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by ABCCuddly View Post
But, it is. After one drink your body needs another to stop the bad physical reaction to one drink. Then another and another. That's what we've trained ourselves to do with alcohol. I could stop at one if I immediately went to bed and slept off the physical reaction. The only other solution is don't have the first drink.