Notices

Restless, Irritable - How Do You Handle It?

Old 10-24-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless, Irritable - How Do You Handle It?

Hey all -

Haven't posted in a while here. But I'm coming up on 8 months now, and in general I feel great. I don't want to drink.

That said, that's part of my question here...

Everything in life externally is going generally well, can't really complain. Yet, I'm getting the "restless, irritable, discontent" feelings you hear about in alcoholics.

I just feel restless, like I can't sit still and relax, like I "need" something, yet I have no clue what I need... (does this sound familiar to anyone here by the way?). This leads to me being irritable and of course discontent...

I don't want to drink at all logically, but sometimes I'll get flashes of thought that "a drink would make this better". But, for me drinking is not in the cards, and again nor do I want to.

But, I do want this feeling gone. For me, it seems like I feel these feelings and I look for external things that might be causing it - is it something I need to "get" in work, health, or is it something I "don't" have.

The issue is anything external may help for a little bit but ultimately these feelings come back.

Has anyone gotten this? Is this common around the 8 month time frame? How do you deal with it?

Thank you all!
Old 10-24-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Very good. Very important question. A universal problem, not just for alcoholics.
Remember, this will also pass.
Patience is very important.
Accepting reality as it is helps the letting go. As one lets go, the unpleasant feelings one habitually does not want seem to intensify and the old habit of suppressing using alcohol asserts itself. Patience, the feelings will undergo change and inevitably pass. Fear and restlessness may increase. It too will pass. No need to be afraid of fear. It comes and it goes. Facilitate the passing by adopting a non attached mindset. "ah, at the moment an unpleasant, unwanted feeling is there. Lets see how long it lasts". Meanwhile just get on with doing the wholesome things that are necessary, day to day.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was early on in sobriety and not "feeling it", I was advised to start practicing gratitude every day. It was hard at first but I kept it up and now it's a habit. It's made my sobriety stronger and it's made me happier.

Give it a try.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 10-24-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The issue is anything external may help for a little bit but ultimately these feelings come back.”

yes, well, that suggests the problem is internal.
when i found myself in that place (though it took me longer to get there than you), i decided to do the 12step program, though i had been sober quite a while. i decided it would likely , if applied, lead me to take care of my discontentments, resentments, harms i had done and needed to clean up, and give me a way to prevent me from adding new messes.
turned out to be so for the most part.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Free.

PAWs symptoms?
These can go on for beyond a year.
Catalyst to many relapses.

Check out Post Acute Withdrawal symptoms.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have some personal experience with this.

I was sober for about the same time as you are now and was feeling about the same.

Talked to quite a few people and they all reassured me that if I just stayed sober everything would fall into place, not to worry etc. Just stay sober !!

So I did and well ... long story short I just plodded on till about the 2 year mark. By then I was miserable, suicidal, not just irritable but downright rageful. I was in a worse mental state at this point than I had been at the cessation of the drinking 2 years ago ... but apparently, if I just stopped drinking, everything would be okay ..... why wasn't this happening for me ? Why wasn't I improving ? You'd think things would be on the up after 2 years right ?

I went back to the same people and told them this just isn't getting any better , help !! What do I do ? No one had any answers because what I was going through, just wasn't their experience, they just stopped drinking and everything slowly improved. They didn't know any different.

So through painful experience, I now understand that there is a difference between a problem drinker and an alcoholic.

It looks the same whilst drinking, the difference emerges when we stop.

Problem drinkers problems go away when they stop drinking.

The alcoholic finds that alcohol is only half the problem.

That's why alcoholics have a program and steps to live by post quitting.

Problem drinkers just stop drinking and get on with it.

​​​​​​There is a ton of help out there for people like us, from people who have been through the same thing.

My advice would be to hurry on and find those people and get the help. ☺️
Old 10-25-2020, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Problem drinker

I quit drinking the end of Dec 2018. I had drank daily for 34 years. I don't consider myself as an alcoholic, but as a problem drinker. I loved the taste of it and could not stop. To me, it was like coffee. It was a habit. I quit because my heart kept palpitating and it seems to get worse. It's been hell and even though some symptoms have gotten better (my heart no longer gives me problems and my sleep is better), I still feel crappy with anxiety, stomach problems and depression. I have no desire to drink again and feel that even as a problem drinker and not an alcoholic, my symptoms/problems have not gone away and in some form is with me daily. That gives me the idea that it's going to take me maybe 3 years before I no longer have symptoms. In those 34 years, I drank very heavy. I am thankful I was able to quit on my own and was never tempted to take another drink. It was either for me to get healthy or end up dying sooner if I didn't.

QUOTE=Derringer;7531506]I have some personal experience with this.

I was sober for about the same time as you are now and was feeling about the same.

Talked to quite a few people and they all reassured me that if I just stayed sober everything would fall into place, not to worry etc. Just stay sober !!

So I did and well ... long story short I just plodded on till about the 2 year mark. By then I was miserable, suicidal, not just irritable but downright rageful. I was in a worse mental state at this point than I had been at the cessation of the drinking 2 years ago ... but apparently, if I just stopped drinking, everything would be okay ..... why wasn't this happening for me ? Why wasn't I improving ? You'd think things would be on the up after 2 years right ?

I went back to the same people and told them this just isn't getting any better , help !! What do I do ? No one had any answers because what I was going through, just wasn't their experience, they just stopped drinking and everything slowly improved. They didn't know any different.

So through painful experience, I now understand that there is a difference between a problem drinker and an alcoholic.

It looks the same whilst drinking, the difference emerges when we stop.

Problem drinkers problems go away when they stop drinking.

The alcoholic finds that alcohol is only half the problem.

That's why alcoholics have a program and steps to live by post quitting.

Problem drinkers just stop drinking and get on with it.

​​​​​​There is a ton of help out there for people like us, from people who have been through the same thing.

My advice would be to hurry on and find those people and get the help. ☺️[/QUOTE]
Old 10-25-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

I find that a long brisk walk, an hour or so, helps me work off the restless crazy that tries to take root in my head, helps me think straight again.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

been dry for 5 days now. feeling like drinking but not doing it... yet
Old 10-28-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome, bottle.
way to go on five days. if you want sobriety you will need something like a plan for how to navigate those times when you "feel like", so that the "yet" doesn't happen. the "yet" you put in there sounds like a plan for future drinking.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

GreatInquiry, walking is usually the solution for me.

Welcome Bottle, and congratulations on 5 days of sobriety.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i think i will get 7 days but im planning to drink on Saturday
Old 10-29-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bottle View Post
You sound very much like a guy/member called "glassman" to me, bottle. Here are a few of his posts. Perhaps they'll ring a bell...

***started on the morning of the 21st September but decided to take it into the month of October.
Had a big hangover the night of the 20th of September and felt awful the next day***
also
***sadly doens't look like it will last. Still not had a drink yet but don't think I can resist any longer and may drink tomorrow***
and
***i'm about to have some drinks. 20 days is still pretty good for me. sadly just going to have to learn to live with binges or nights out etc..***
Old 10-29-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
You sound very much like a guy/member called "glassman" to me, bottle. Here are a few of his posts. Perhaps they'll ring a bell...
Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post

***started on the morning of the 21st September but decided to take it into the month of October.
Had a big hangover the night of the 20th of September and felt awful the next day***
also
***sadly doens't look like it will last. Still not had a drink yet but don't think I can resist any longer and may drink tomorrow***
and
***i'm about to have some drinks. 20 days is still pretty good for me. sadly just going to have to learn to live with binges or nights out etc..***
Is that a problem? aren't we all welcome?
Old 10-29-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bottle View Post
having a few days abstinent was doable for me, too, as long as i knew i would drink later. though...well, no use going into it here and now. if you ever want to plan for not drinking, get rid of the "yet", and want to implement such a plan, come back to us and we can help with suggestions.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome, back4good.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lost

The people here sound great. I feel quite alone though and fearful of the future.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by back4good View Post

Is that a problem? aren't we all welcome?
Hi back4good. No, it’s not a “problem”. But most of us on SR (I believe) are here because we need help to stop drinking, and stay stopped – or at least we are trying to stop. Very few guys come here for a chat just before their weekend binge. I, for one, really don’t want to know - not even if, but when - another SR member plans to drink again. Perhaps next time he/she will share whether it will be a Margarita, Gin-tonic, or a great single-malt Scotch? Perhaps an ice-cold beer on a very hot day?
But that's just my opinion - like you have yours. And I, for one, believe I’m on the right Forum.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good one

I like this thread
Old 10-29-2020, 07:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wheredsdatimego View Post
The people here sound great. I feel quite alone though and fearful of the future.
hi there....anything specific you are fearing about the future?
what would be helpful to you?